Ammo Can Console Build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-07-2010, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Bill M.
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ammo Can Console Build

Mods, move this if need be..

Hey everyone. So I know there are many build threads for the ammo can center console, but I havenít found one that was detailed enough, so here is mine:

First, for the supplies:
1 .20mm ammo can
Plasma Cutter Ėor cut off tool
Rattle Can Primer
Rattle Can Paint
Square
Pencil
Measuring Tape
Self Tapping Screws

I chose to use the .20mm ammo can because it is large enough that it sits at the perfect height for an arm rest.
First of all, you are going to want to test fit the can in your jeep. I found that I was going to have to make a cut for the break handle and the mechanism. Here is a picture of the can before I went to work on it.

Notice on the first picture how I have the line drawn for the lever, and on the second picture how I have the lines for the parking brake mechanism. All of the measurements will be on the pictures.

The lever cut out will need to be 1 inch thick and 10 1/2 inches high. This will allow the lever to be pulled to its full height. This will vary depending on how far you want the console to be forward. I just had mine sit flush on the floor.
On the bottom on the lever slot, you will need to cut a slot that is 3 inches high, by 3 1/8 inch long. This will allow the can to clear the mechanism.

Cutting the lines with a plasma cutter made the job easy as pie. This was my first time using one, so the lines are perfectly straight, but they are pretty good. Haha notice how I wrote my name in one of the cut off areas to practice.

As for the hole on the bottom of the can to clear the mechanism, a 8 inch by 3 1/8 inch slot will need to be cut.

Next youíll want to take a grinder and get all of the burrs off of the can. They will be sharp and could cut you or someone else.

Now, hit it with a coat of primer, and a coat or two of paint. I chose smoke grey, since I couldnít find a charcoal grey at Wally World to match my interior.
After the paint dries, attach it to the body using self tapping screws.

I hope that this helps anyone who is unfortunate enough not to have a console. I love it because it makes a good arm rest. I plan to make a pad for the top of it in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Avoid "Hey guys! Watch this!" situations. They tend to have bad endings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Polecat

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting this. I have been considering this for a while. Does the can sit flat on the floor?

Over the mountains and through the woods, across the stream and up the slickrock, down the canyon and over the rocks to nobody's house I go.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-07-2010, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Bill M.
1999 TJ Wrangler 

In my TJ it does. IIRC, it will need a bracket in a YJ.

Quote:

post #4 of 9 Old 07-07-2010, 05:38 PM
sicandtwisted
1999 XJ Cherokee 

And to think i just sold 1 of those ammo cans for $1
post #5 of 9 Old 07-07-2010, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Bill M.
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicandtwisted View Post
And to think i just sold 1 of those ammo cans for $1
Bummer... try to get it back for $2!

Quote:
post #6 of 9 Old 01-10-2011, 09:24 PM
BallerJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

sorry for reviving old thread, but can we get some pictures of it in? As in top view and such. Hows it work with your cup holders?

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #7 of 9 Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 AM
FZY1

2013 JK Wrangler 

bump to find it easier.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-06-2012, 08:15 AM
cvisinho
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i went the extra mile on mine and made a top pad. Just a piece of 1/2 wood the same dimensions as the top, glued foam to it from the fabric store, wrapped it in black canvas and then secured it from inside the top with some screws.
way more comfortable than the metal.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-07-2012, 08:11 PM
GREASEMONKEY

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The next can I get ahold of I'm gonna go a little more custom.
I'm gonna make a bracket for the E brake that should make it more accessible. I'll also make a pad for the top, and it will be side fold opening. I'll also reinstall my sub in the next one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------------------------------------
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Tags
console , center , ammo can , ammo box , mod , modification

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in