Alternatives to ATF+4? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-26-2004, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Claw

Alternatives to ATF+4?

Already tried the search. Changing my auto tranny fluid is one of the few maintenance items I prefer not to do myself, but I'm tired of getting raped by the stealership. Of course, according to them, Mopar ATF+4 is the ONLY fluid I should use. I know some of you have used Amsoil, Redline, etc. Are those FOR SURE O.K. to use in my '02 auto? Any other advice (the more specific, the better) would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-26-2004, 12:12 PM
Jim Shanks

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have an auto, but my transfercase calls for the ATF Plus and I am having great luck with Royal Purple. Some of the wine seems to have gone away when I'm in 4hi. Just switched over both axles, tranny, and tcase to it and everything seems smoother (i.e. shifting, coasting, etc..)

Jim

"Cracked Cow" '01TonTJ2a, Solid Mfg HP60's, 5.38's, ARB's, PSC full hydro, 14" coilovers, ASD roof and doors, armored everywhere sitting on 40" Iroks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-26-2004, 12:45 PM
wrangler2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw
Already tried the search. Changing my auto tranny fluid is one of the few maintenance items I prefer not to do myself, but I'm tired of getting raped by the stealership. Of course, according to them, Mopar ATF+4 is the ONLY fluid I should use. I know some of you have used Amsoil, Redline, etc. Are those FOR SURE O.K. to use in my '02 auto? Any other advice (the more specific, the better) would be greatly appreciated.

I can't help you with that but out of sheer curiosity, how much did the dealer ask for?

post #4 of 8 Old 01-26-2004, 12:57 PM
Jeepin_Al
Just taking it easy!
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I put amsoil in my 02 auto and it is for sure safe for Chrysler ATF-4, looked it up and called tech support. I also had rough shifting after the dealership rebuilt my tranny (02 does NOT have a remote breather on the tranny or anything else for that matter), I put in the Amsoil and it made a world if difference, I was going to take it in and complain but I am very happy with the performance now. If you are looking for Amsoil send me a PM, I have a dealer who gets me pretty good deals. GL, AL

"rejected by the signature police"
post #5 of 8 Old 01-26-2004, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler2002
I can't help you with that but out of sheer curiosity, how much did the dealer ask for?
Get this! Are you sitting down? $230!!!! Luckily, I've been using those manufacturer service coupons I get in the mail which are $89.95. Of course, there's fine print which specifies extra charges for "special fluid", etc. which along with the "extra labor" charge because of my MOPAR engine skid bumps it up to about $130 or so. My dealer service manager is such a weasel.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-26-2004, 02:08 PM
wrangler2002

Quote:
Get this! Are you sitting down? $230!!!! Luckily, I've been using those manufacturer service coupons I get in the mail which are $89.95. Of course, there's fine print which specifies extra charges for "special fluid", etc. which along with the "extra labor" charge because of my MOPAR engine skid bumps it up to about $130 or so. My dealer service manager is such a weasel.
That is impressive! I canít believe that someone would actually pay for that. 4 changes = one rebuilt.

Do they just drop the pan or do a complete flush of all the fluid?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-26-2004, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler2002
Do they just drop the pan or do a complete flush of all the fluid?
Drop the pan, change filter (or so they say), and refill.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-26-2004, 03:51 PM
bcompton

One more option: Redline C+ ATF is specifically designed for the Chrysler spec. Tech support at Redline will confirm that it is suitable for all +4 applications.

01 Sport, front drum brake & birfield joint conversion, custom '4 Wheel Drive' stickers, neon washer nozzles, chrome type 'r' oil pan bolts, wooden bead seat pads, racing exhaust tip, offroad license plate frame,
lots of misc. stuff (2.5" Skyjacker springs, 1" BL, 1"MML, Custom flat tcase & engine skid, RE arms, Skyjacker shocks, JKS Discos, Superlift Trac bars, Garvin bumpers, Warn 9.5ti, Lockright & trac-lock, 32" BFG KM's, Kilby & warn skids, EOR rocker bars, cowl snorkel)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in