Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 116 Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Almost lost my spring! What now?

I just noticed by shear luck that my drivers side rear spring is sitting precariously half off the lower bucket. How do I get it back in place without killing myself. Can I use my highlift jack to lift the jeep up as high as possible and pull it back in line with some rope or something?

My Surgical TJ-6 Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 Old 10-10-2012, 04:17 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Lift up your Jeep,let the axle droop and smack the spring with a hammer or pry it back in place.It should go in place very easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" BDS lift/ 33" DC extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #3 of 116 Old 10-10-2012, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman
Lift up your Jeep,let the axle droop and smack the spring with a hammer or pry it back in place.It should go in place very easily.
Ya beat me to the post lol. That's exactly what I did.

image-8038013.jpg

Scary!

My Surgical TJ-6 Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 116 Old 10-10-2012, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman
Thanks for the tip though

My Surgical TJ-6 Build

post #5 of 116 Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 AM
pmcjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Jay

Ya beat me to the post lol. That's exactly what I did.

Scary!
Looks like you need to buy or build some retainers!

01 tj 4.0,bds springs,ROKMEN arms, ecgs 8.8 and hp30 both locked with 4.88s,35in STTs,Smittybilt bumpers,8k winch,hylined MCE flatties,TKHfab rocksliders,and lots more to come!
post #6 of 116 Old 10-10-2012, 04:41 AM
nectoxicdragon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

WTF? WRONG!!! support the axle with the wheel off, unbolt the shock at the bottom and then LIFT the body carefully, (watch the break line) you shold be able to push the spring back in place with minimal force. But NEVER STRIKE a SPRING. They are HARDENED and CAN CRACK, start a hairline crack in one and you can have that beast fail on you when you least want it to, and end up rolling over... and not just a simple flop either. With as much pressure off it as you can get you may be able to simply pry it over, if you can just push it, its time to look at new springs, Also check those shocks, they are supposed to act to limit downward axel movement, if you have the wrong ones in place (too long) this can happen again, I dont believe in bolting coil springs to the lower perch but some people have done this... On my lift the rear springs got a touch rattly, I was told to use a pair of cable clamps on both sides... drill the perch accordingly,,, As I said, I dont buy into it. I just cut a ciuple pieces of black garden hose and slipped it over the bottom coil and it went silent... BUT you do have an issue you need to check,,, start with the shocks.
post #7 of 116 Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 AM
njrealtor55

2004 TJ Wrangler 

currie bumpstops w/ built in spring retainers (sold at savvy offroad) will stop that from happening again.

Jason

04 Rubicon mallcrawler
savvy/currie 4"
post #8 of 116 Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectoxicdragon View Post
WTF? WRONG!!! support the axle with the wheel off, unbolt the shock at the bottom and then LIFT the body carefully, (watch the break line) you shold be able to push the spring back in place with minimal force. But NEVER STRIKE a SPRING. They are HARDENED and CAN CRACK, start a hairline crack in one and you can have that beast fail on you when you least want it to, and end up rolling over... and not just a simple flop either.

Funny,but very stupid.

p.s. Jeeps don't have break lines.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
post #9 of 116 Old 10-10-2012, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nectoxicdragon
WTF? WRONG!!! support the axle with the wheel off, unbolt the shock at the bottom and then LIFT the body carefully, (watch the break line) you shold be able to push the spring back in place with minimal force. But NEVER STRIKE a SPRING. They are HARDENED and CAN CRACK, start a hairline crack in one and you can have that beast fail on you when you least want it to, and end up rolling over... and not just a simple flop either. With as much pressure off it as you can get you may be able to simply pry it over, if you can just push it, its time to look at new springs, Also check those shocks, they are supposed to act to limit downward axel movement, if you have the wrong ones in place (too long) this can happen again, I dont believe in bolting coil springs to the lower perch but some people have done this... On my lift the rear springs got a touch rattly, I was told to use a pair of cable clamps on both sides... drill the perch accordingly,,, As I said, I dont buy into it. I just cut a ciuple pieces of black garden hose and slipped it over the bottom coil and it went silent... BUT you do have an issue you need to check,,, start with the shocks.
This is essentially what I did.
1) I disconnected the front sway bar,
2) High lifted the jeep at the rear DS bumper.
3) Took the wheel off.
4) bottle jacked the brake drum up an inch or so.
5) Unbolted the shock absorber.
6) Eased the jack down.

Then I (tapped) the coil spring back with a (rubber) mallet. It didn't take much at all. I might have even been able to rip it back on by hand if I had a good leverage point.

As far as the shocks, They actually are the correct length. The spring didn't pop out on its own. My buddy and I installed an adjustable rear track bar yesterday. I think what happened is that we got distracted by a tailpipe clearance issue on the passenger side and didn't notice that the spring was not seated properly when we put everything back together. The beers didn't help either I guess. Stupid mistake on my part. I should have checked everything over when we were done. I've actually ordered the Currie spring retaining bumpstops for when I outboard my shocks.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize you weren't suppose to hit the springs with a hammer. I uses the rubber mallet because it was within reach.

My Surgical TJ-6 Build

post #10 of 116 Old 10-10-2012, 07:09 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Jay View Post
Then I (tapped) the coil spring back with a (rubber) mallet. It didn't take much at all. I might have even been able to rip it back on by hand if I had a good leverage point.
According to nectoxicdragon, your Jeep will now fall apart.I'm sure nobody has ever hit their springs on a rock,EVER.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #11 of 116 Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
According to nectoxicdragon, your Jeep will now fall apart.I'm sure nobody has ever hit their springs on a rock,EVER.
Springs are hardened, but what do they do to good ones afterwards? I'll give you a hint, it involves hitting them with steel and a lot of force.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #12 of 116 Old 10-10-2012, 07:43 AM
vic_sinclair
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Your garage has a parquet floor?
post #13 of 116 Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_sinclair
Your garage has a parquet floor?
LOL! And a giant chandelier over the wet bar. Na. Those are just crappy old glue down linoleum floor tiles.

My Surgical TJ-6 Build

post #14 of 116 Old 10-10-2012, 08:22 AM
JeffBowser

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I keep waiting for someone to tell dragon boy that shocks aren't supposed to serve as travel limiters, either.
post #15 of 116 Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
I keep waiting for someone to tell dragon boy that shocks aren't supposed to serve as travel limiters, either.
I think he cancelled his JF membership and joined Wrangler forum by now.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in