All Aluminum Radiator - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 06-23-2021, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
koolerb
1997 TJ Wrangler 

All Aluminum Radiator

Any thoughts or experience with aftermarket all aluminum radiators? My OEM radiator is cracked at the top plastic hose fitting. I'm thinking all aluminum might not be a bad thing. I've read over an over again go with the Mopar OEM radiator.

Last edited by koolerb; 06-23-2021 at 11:08 AM. Reason: cant type
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-23-2021, 11:18 AM
Silverstoneavb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Everyone is most likely going to tell you that plastic tank OEM is the way to go...
That being said, I love my griffin. Only 3 years on it though.. it's been solid

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 24 Old 06-23-2021, 11:29 AM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I now have now twice gone with a copper/brass one from Summit. Granted they are on XJs not TJs but I have 3 years on one and now a just install occurring. I like the Copper Brass, seems substantial.
I have new rubber mounts upper and lower on them.

post #4 of 24 Old 06-23-2021, 11:58 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

if you want an all aluminum radiator to have a chance at outlasting an OEM Mopar radiator you're looking at about double the cost. and thats still a chance, not a guarantee.

I wish there was a better option, but the OEM mopar is by far the best bang for the buck for our TJ's, they last between 100k-150k miles. many all aluminum radiators dont make it to 10k miles.
Jerry Bransford and downs like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-23-2021, 12:38 PM
Silverstoneavb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My apologies, I checked.. installed the griffin in 2017. So that's about 45,000 miles so far.. time will tell

post #6 of 24 Old 06-23-2021, 07:16 PM
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolerb View Post
Any thoughts or experience with aftermarket all aluminum radiators? My OEM radiator is cracked at the top plastic hose fitting. I'm thinking all aluminum might not be a bad thing. I've read over an over again go with the Mopar OEM radiator.
How many miles did you get out of your Mopar radiator?
downs likes this.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-24-2021, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
koolerb
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know if this is the first or second radiator and I don't know how to read the date code. The jeep has over 100K and its a 97'.

FYI - I went to the Jeep dealer in my town and tried to price an OEM radiator this morning. The guy at the parts counter told me to buy aftermarket. I told him 97' Wrangler, 4.0, automatic. He asked me for VIN and I didn't have it. He said for a jeep that old I probably can't get an OEM radiator. If I order one anyway its payment in advance and if it doesn't fit he won't take it back. He was being a real dick...
post #8 of 24 Old 06-24-2021, 01:39 PM
Silverstoneavb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't know if this is the first or second radiator and I don't know how to read the date code. The jeep has over 100K and its a 97'.

FYI - I went to the Jeep dealer in my town and tried to price an OEM radiator this morning. The guy at the parts counter told me to buy aftermarket. I told him 97' Wrangler, 4.0, automatic. He asked me for VIN and I didn't have it. He said for a jeep that old I probably can't get an OEM radiator. If I order one anyway its payment in advance and if it doesn't fit he won't take it back. He was being a real dick...
https://www.mopardiscountedparts.com...bC1sNi1nYXM%3D

If not an automatic, redo the search

post #9 of 24 Old 06-24-2021, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
koolerb
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My VIN returns "Invalid VIN" in the "Make sure your parts fit your vehicle." field. Is that normal for a 97'?
Yes, mine is an automatic, are we sure the 55037653AB will fit?

Thanks!
post #10 of 24 Old 06-24-2021, 03:03 PM
Silverstoneavb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My VIN returns "Invalid VIN" in the "Make sure your parts fit your vehicle." field. Is that normal for a 97'?

Thanks!
We need Jerry for confirmation. I checked my model year in that search.. 2001 with a 32rh and 4.0.. I'm not well versed on the 97

post #11 of 24 Old 06-24-2021, 06:14 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks!
According to what I can find, that p/n is correct and will fit your '97 with an automatic transmission.

I agree with the others, stay with Mopar. You'd probably have to pay at least 2X more for an aftermarket radiator that had its same reserve cooling capacity and quality. At least you can find them, that's a good thing.

It's usually a good idea to also replace the thermostat with a fresh 195 degree like a SuperStat from Stant, and if you can a fresh Mopar water pump. New hoses and a new serpentine belt is suggested too. I throw the old serpentine belt and hoses into my TJ's spare parts box for emergency trail repairs.
downs likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #12 of 24 Old 06-24-2021, 08:03 PM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I went thru 3 Aluminum radiators before getting a Mopar, the Mopar has outlasted all 3 time wise

I was told by the guy at the radiator shop that electrolysis and vibration kill the aluminum ones.
They are OK for the street rigs, but not where I go.....
post #13 of 24 Old 06-24-2021, 08:05 PM
Silverstoneavb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousejockey View Post
I went thru 3 Aluminum radiators before getting a Mopar, the Mopar has outlasted all 3 time wise

I was told by the guy at the radiator shop that electrolysis and vibration kill the aluminum ones.
What brands were your Al* radiators?

post #14 of 24 Old 06-24-2021, 08:34 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousejockey View Post

You can buy anodes that install similar to a sensor unit specifically to cancel the electrolytic process with aluminum. Adds a year or two of lifespan. Buy another ($5) when the first one dissolves.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-25-2021, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
koolerb
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone, think I will be sticking to Mopar. I already have some new gates hoses, the thermostat I got is from Advanced Auto Parts, I cant remember the brand. I'll look at doing the water pump. I'm thinking about replacing the temp sensor at the thermostat housing. When the jeep was overheating temp on the gauge looked OK. That was confusing me at the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in