All About Roll Cages For TJ/LJ - Page 69 - JeepForum.com
View Poll Results: Which Rollcage Do You Prefer?
A to Z 57 11.40%
Rock Hard 105 21.00%
Poison Spyder 166 33.20%
OR-FAB 52 10.40%
Koz 25 5.00%
Poly Performance 95 19.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1021 of 1055 Old 01-01-2019, 08:24 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I switched over to the passenger's side. Everything seems like it's lining up great over there.

Back to the driver's side I heated and moved the ductwork slightly to give more room for the lower A. When I place the upper A on the driver's side it seems that it is ever so slightly too long and doesn't sit nicely against B.

Do you guys have pictures of where the A pillar sits against the floor?

Building the right way for 37s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1055 Old 01-01-2019, 09:37 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

All About Roll Cages For TJ/LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by toximus View Post
I switched over to the passenger's side. Everything seems like it's lining up great over there.

Back to the driver's side I heated and moved the ductwork slightly to give more room for the lower A. When I place the upper A on the driver's side it seems that it is ever so slightly too long and doesn't sit nicely against B.

Do you guys have pictures of where the A pillar sits against the floor?

He are a couple from my setup, which was all custom. I had to clearance the floor a bit to allow for the foreword placement of the floor plate. I was able to position the A-pillar back far enough that it did not interfere with the duct work.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #1023 of 1055 Old 01-02-2019, 08:34 AM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks Nash. I was worried at first that I was doing more cutting and massaging than I should be. I'm fine with that but wanted to make sure I wasn't completely missing how it's supposed to go together. It sounds like my install is pretty much par for the course.

I was thinking about adding in quick disconnects like you have there too.

post #1024 of 1055 Old 01-02-2019, 12:07 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was thinking about adding in quick disconnects like you have there too.
I did that specifically so I can remove the cage without having to completely remove the dash.

Build Thread:

post #1025 of 1055 Old 01-02-2019, 07:40 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I think I'm starting to get this figured out a little more a little massaging at a time. There is a 1/2" difference in the factory rollcage to the windshield from driver's to passenger side. Looking at the takeoff door tubes it looks like the factory had built in a sliding adjustment to account for that and sure enough, they're different lengths. And they don't appear to have ever been adjusted so I think it's safe to assume they came from the factory this way.

It feels a bit hackish, but is the best course of action here to cut one of the A piller tops shorter so it fits?

post #1026 of 1055 Old 01-02-2019, 09:23 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think I'm starting to get this figured out a little more a little massaging at a time. There is a 1/2" difference in the factory rollcage to the windshield from driver's to passenger side. Looking at the takeoff door tubes it looks like the factory had built in a sliding adjustment to account for that and sure enough, they're different lengths. And they don't appear to have ever been adjusted so I think it's safe to assume they came from the factory this way.

It feels a bit hackish, but is the best course of action here to cut one of the A piller tops shorter so it fits?

Easier to fit the cage to the Jeep, than to fit the Jeep to the cage....

I assume that the top and the doors fit correctly?

Build Thread:

post #1027 of 1055 Old 01-02-2019, 09:31 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Easier to fit the cage to the Jeep, than to fit the Jeep to the cage....

I assume that the top and the doors fit correctly?
It always amazes me how much is different across Jeeps.

Driver's door isn't perfect but I'm 99% sure it's the door (door's bowed as far as I can tell, not the tub, it suddenly stopped closing one day years ago at a parking lot and I never have figured out what happened to it. After adjusting the hinges I have gotten it to function just fine.). Both tops fit great.

post #1028 of 1055 Old 01-03-2019, 08:22 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It always amazes me how much is different across Jeeps.

Driver's door isn't perfect but I'm 99% sure it's the door (door's bowed as far as I can tell, not the tub, it suddenly stopped closing one day years ago at a parking lot and I never have figured out what happened to it. After adjusting the hinges I have gotten it to function just fine.). Both tops fit great.
Is the driver's side the one I saw a picture of with the crumpled front fender?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #1029 of 1055 Old 01-03-2019, 08:43 AM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Is the driver's side the one I saw a picture of with the crumpled front fender?
Yes.

post #1030 of 1055 Old 01-03-2019, 09:08 AM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well sure enough, the door frame is bent just slightly. The door openings themselves are within 1/16" of each other, but they are positioned 1/8" different (driver's being rearward). That angle must extend up to the windshield peak to account for an entire 1/2".

Since everything currently fits and functions and works in this position and even knowing it's skewed it still isn't noticeable visually, I will just account for it with the cage.

post #1031 of 1055 Old 01-04-2019, 10:03 AM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I was thinking about this again today. The smashed fender happened 2 months after the door started having trouble iirc. So I'm back to not knowing exactly how it happened just that it happened.

post #1032 of 1055 Old 01-04-2019, 02:22 PM
rficken42

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
does anyone have photos of the Genright TJ Laser Notched Full Roll Cage Kit installed ?

99TJ 5.2V8 ax15 2.5lift dana30/44 Lockers 410s 35s AtlasII bellyup skid & winch
post #1033 of 1055 Old 01-05-2019, 01:04 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I got it fully mocked up and removed again to double check the door surrounds to factory.

My door surrounds on both sides are angled down in the front with the Poly cage. The doors still shut.

Has anyone else had this problem?

post #1034 of 1055 Old 01-05-2019, 01:17 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

That must be the trick, start with the door surrounds and work out. I'm trying that!

post #1035 of 1055 Old 01-05-2019, 08:50 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

That was the trick! So much better now!
NashvilleTJ likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in