After changing alternator Check engine light is on - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-23-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
bman21

1997 TJ Wrangler 

After changing alternator Check engine light is on

I Got a 1997 TJ 2.5. 5 speed. I Just changed the alternator because the old one was seized up. After changing the alternator now the check engine light is on and the codes it giving is 37 and 25. Any help I’d really appreciate it. It did not have the CEL on before I began. All the gauges bounce to very irractic. I know this are the code but not sure where to begin and if it has anything to do with changing the alternator. 25** A shorted or open condition detected in one or more of the idle air control motor circuits. Actual idle speed does not equal target idle speed.37** Relationship between engine speed and vehicle speed indicates no torque converter clutch engagement. An open or shorted condition detected in the torque converter part throttle unlock solenoid control circuit. Incorrect input state detected for the Park/Neutral switch. Auto only.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-23-2019, 03:48 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Is the battery almost or fully charged ?

Confirm all the wire connections are snug, and are connected correctly. Test the alternator output at the alternator and at the battery.

About 10 -15% of cheap crappy rebuilt in China alternators are defective, the ones that come with a "Lifetime Warranty" are the biggest offenders. Did you have the parts store test the alternator before you paid for it ?

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-23-2019, 03:54 PM
dbbd1
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Your problems could be due to low voltage because the new alternator is not charging the battery. Like above, double check your connections. If you still have problems, yes, you may need to get the new one tested. What is your battery voltage, as measured at the battery with a voltmeter?

The opinions of worthless people, are worthless.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne

post #4 of 6 Old 03-23-2019, 05:07 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

I am confused - likely the bourbon,
BUT why do we have 2 digit codes on a OBDII 1997

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 08:25 AM
williambmac

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
I am confused - likely the bourbon,
BUT why do we have 2 digit codes on a OBDII 1997

Key on/off 3x method, flashes out codes on the ipc.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 4" Clayton long arm
35" Mickey Thompsons, lots of stuff
Black Magic Big brake kit
post #6 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
bman21

1997 TJ Wrangler 

So after further investigation I took the alternator back off and when doing so I noticed that one of the terminals wasn’t tight and wouldn’t tighten up. So I removed the nut that was behind it and it allowed me to tighten the terminal up where it needed to be. I also cleaned all terminals and charged the battery all the way up just to make sure that wasn’t the problem. Sure enough no check engine light and no codes!! Back to jeepin!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in