Adventures in TPS replacment! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-29-2015, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
gallopinpony
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Adventures in TPS replacment!

Last week my TJ started acting up and after troubleshooting I determined the problem was most likely the throttle position sensor. I went to the part store and picked a new TPS up, got home got her all installed and went to plug in the electrical connector, and realized the connecter on the TPS was different from what was on my car. The prongs were flat, while the holes on the connector were round on my jeep. I ended up at three different parts stores trying to find the right part, and all three had the TPS with the flat prongs listed for a 1997. After the parts store employee did some searching on his computer he was able to find the right one listed on a 1995 wrangler, which was installed with no issues once I got home, and seemingly solved my issues. Has anyone here run into similar issues with parts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-29-2015, 09:22 PM
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

Very common with Chryslers on crossover years. I've encountered the same thing on a TPS with a 97 using a 95 YJ sensors even though the Chrysler build sheet showed a different part number. Always check the connectors on new sensors vs your existing before you go through the trouble of removing them from the Jeep.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-29-2015, 11:08 PM
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallopinpony View Post
Last week my TJ started acting up and after troubleshooting I determined the problem was most likely the throttle position sensor. I went to the part store and picked a new TPS up, got home got her all installed and went to plug in the electrical connector, and realized the connecter on the TPS was different from what was on my car. The prongs were flat, while the holes on the connector were round on my jeep. I ended up at three different parts stores trying to find the right part, and all three had the TPS with the flat prongs listed for a 1997. After the parts store employee did some searching on his computer he was able to find the right one listed on a 1995 wrangler, which was installed with no issues once I got home, and seemingly solved my issues. Has anyone here run into similar issues with parts?
I had this happen to me at the local part store. Good thing I opened it up at the store and asked them about it. They said it was the right one according to their computer. I had them show me all the ones they had and I picked the one that fit my TJ. I thought it was just Bond Auto Parts issue till I just read your post.

1998 TJ Sport 4.0L 5spd
3.75" RC
33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs

Superwinch 10000lb
Monstaliner, CB, ARB Front locker, 4.56 gears

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I understand.
IAFF Local 3265

post #4 of 5 Old 03-29-2015, 11:53 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My early build '97 TJ used a '95 YJ TPS.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-30-2015, 06:56 AM
98TJSE

only issue I had with tps replacement is NO aftermarket one liked my jeep,(or my jeep didn't like aftermarket lol) everyone I put on or tried it reved @ 3k rpms and wouldn't drop stealership 3 times the price, but when it started up went to 1500 and dropped to normal.. no issues... I cried it would be I get the Jeep that likes stealership only parts HAHAHAHA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in