Activity since I purchased by 2005 Rubi LJ - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
vishrb
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: oklahoma city
Posts: 76
Activity since I purchased by 2005 Rubi LJ

Hello all. I started a thread a week or so back about a 2005 rubi LJ I was looking at. I purchased the jeep and thought I would share what I have doen so far.
  1. New Air Filter
  2. Seafoam in gas tank
  3. Installed new stereo (was not as bad as it sounded)
  4. Cleaned the dash and console between seats thoroughly and added armer all protectent.
  5. I sold the 35's on it and bought new 33's (Duratrec) (Talked wife into letting me keep some out fo the selling of the LR discovery)



BAM! P0153. I have read up on this in the forum and it seems that it could just be the o2 upstream sensor but that enough people have had issues clearing the code that I think I am going to have a mechanic look at it. I had only driven it like 50 miles when it popped up. I cleared it and it was gone for another 50 or so and then it came back up. Wife has a very I told you so look on her face. Damn!

vishrb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 03-19-2013, 12:09 PM
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Elkmont
Posts: 10,046
Well, the good news is that nothing you did would cause this code to pop up unless you really screwed up when you cleaned between the seats.

Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it.
mdm is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old 03-19-2013, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
vishrb
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: oklahoma city
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Well, the good news is that nothing you did would cause this code to pop up unless you really screwed up when you cleaned between the seats.
Ha, yeah. That is at least comforting. Was thinking about replacing the sensors myself but with all of the varying reports of resolutions to that code I decided to take it in.
vishrb is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.
 
ratmonkey's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,793
told you so about what? a wear item wearing out?

you really can't clean o2 sensors. they're generally only good for about 100k.

2005 should use denso o2 sensors. whatever you do, don't replace it with bosch or any other parts house brand.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ratmonkey is offline  
post #5 of 28 Old 03-19-2013, 03:14 PM
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
1987 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 6,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishrb View Post
Ha, yeah. That is at least comforting. Was thinking about replacing the sensors myself but with all of the varying reports of resolutions to that code I decided to take it in.
Take it in to the dealership?

The way I looked at it when I had a similar code (downstream o2 was off):
I replaced the downstream o2 sensor. Still had the code.
Brought it to the dealership, where it was still under warranty. So they replaced the cats and pipe from the cats to the muffler.

Start with the easy stuff that you can do to rule it out, then if you have to bring it in. Did I waste the $100 on a new sensor? No, I just replaced it before it went out.

By the way, I bet the dealership says that your lack of seat covers is the reason for the code or something similar to sell you addition junk. Good luck.

16 Taco
87 MJ Chief in pieces
Bought/Wheeled/Sold: 85 CJ, 79 FSJ, 05 LJ, 06 WK
dayriesw is offline  
post #6 of 28 Old 03-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Spyder05
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hudson
Posts: 591
id check for exhaust leaks, in front of the 02 sensor or around any flanges. even a pin hole can cause this code. usually it is just the 02 sensor but there could be a cat issue. id let someone who knows what they are doing check it out.

05 Tj d44's, 4.88's, ARB's, 37's and some bling
99 TJuggy tons, 40's
14 RAM 1500
07 SRT 8 grand
Spyder05 is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old 03-19-2013, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
vishrb
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: oklahoma city
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
told you so about what? a wear item wearing out?

you really can't clean o2 sensors. they're generally only good for about 100k.

2005 should use denso o2 sensors. whatever you do, don't replace it with bosch or any other parts house brand.
Haha, no about buying a car a and getting a CES light days later.
vishrb is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old 03-19-2013, 11:20 PM
OhSixTJ
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: McAllen
Posts: 76
Same thing happened to me. Just bought an 06 4.0 Sport, drove it 250 miles back home and it was fine, filled up at a pretty busy gas station and bam, 10 miles in it throws the same code. Cleared it, it came back. So today I put a NGK brand o2 sensor that I got at advanced for $40. Took all of 5 minutes. It hasn't come back yet. *fingers crossed*
OhSixTJ is offline  
post #9 of 28 Old 03-20-2013, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
vishrb
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: oklahoma city
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSixTJ View Post
Same thing happened to me. Just bought an 06 4.0 Sport, drove it 250 miles back home and it was fine, filled up at a pretty busy gas station and bam, 10 miles in it throws the same code. Cleared it, it came back. So today I put a NGK brand o2 sensor that I got at advanced for $40. Took all of 5 minutes. It hasn't come back yet. *fingers crossed*
Let me know if it stays off. I may go ahead and do the o2 sensor(s) before I take it in as well. It is a hard call sometimes.
vishrb is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
vishrb
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: oklahoma city
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
told you so about what? a wear item wearing out?

you really can't clean o2 sensors. they're generally only good for about 100k.

2005 should use denso o2 sensors. whatever you do, don't replace it with bosch or any other parts house brand.
I hear people talk about NGK. Is it just me year that uses Denso? Also do most people just replace the sensor directly related to the CES code or is it best practice to do all at same time?
vishrb is offline  
post #11 of 28 Old 03-20-2013, 08:48 AM
TheBoogieman
CORONA-virus survivor
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: charlottesHELL
Posts: 39,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishrb View Post
I hear people talk about NGK. Is it just me year that uses Denso? Also do most people just replace the sensor directly related to the CES code or is it best practice to do all at same time?
Just replace the bad one.I've had Jeeps with 200,000 miles on them and I never replaced the o2 sensors.

p.s. I missed your other thread.Did you buy it from a dealership or individual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
TheBoogieman is offline  
post #12 of 28 Old 03-20-2013, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
vishrb
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: oklahoma city
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Just replace the bad one.I've had Jeeps with 200,000 miles on them and I never replaced the o2 sensors.

p.s. I missed your other thread.Did you buy it from a dealership or individual?
Individual.
vishrb is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 03-20-2013, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
vishrb
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: oklahoma city
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Just replace the bad one.I've had Jeeps with 200,000 miles on them and I never replaced the o2 sensors.

p.s. I missed your other thread.Did you buy it from a dealership or individual?
It has 105000 mile son it. I just spoke with him and it actuallly has a extended warrenty up until 110000 miles on it. But it has a $200 deductable. I assuem I take it in I will spend every bit of that 200 dollars. If I do the sensor myself much cheaper but if it doe snot fix the problem then I will spend the 200 anyway. I think I may still start with just the bad sensor. See what happens.
vishrb is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old 03-20-2013, 09:53 AM
jeepn012
Registered User
 
jeepn012's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 470
I just replaced all four of my 02 sensors with NGK's.

Helpful hint, print out the price on em from Rockauto.com and take it to your local parts store. I went to Advance Auto and they matched the price. Saved me a ton of $$$.

Unfortunately, it turned out one of my cats was completely useless. The filter media had completely broken down and it was empty. If you keep having issues, it is most likely a worn out cat.

2005-2006 Wanglers are notorious for this, you can go back and look at your other thread, I listed that as a common issue...

Welcome to the club!!

1990 YJ - 96 to 03 My first. She will be missed.
2004 TJ - 03 to 11. Old Faithful. I will have another TJ one day.
2007 JKU - SOLD
2005 LJ - In the mail, hope I like it. Everybody's doin it, here is the build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jeepn012 is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 03-20-2013, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
vishrb
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: oklahoma city
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepn012 View Post
I just replaced all four of my 02 sensors with NGK's.

Helpful hint, print out the price on em from Rockauto.com and take it to your local parts store. I went to Advance Auto and they matched the price. Saved me a ton of $$$.

Unfortunately, it turned out one of my cats was completely useless. The filter media had completely broken down and it was empty. If you keep having issues, it is most likely a worn out cat.

2005-2006 Wanglers are notorious for this, you can go back and look at your other thread, I listed that as a common issue...

Welcome to the club!!
Did you replace yoru cat?
vishrb is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome