99 Jeep TJ STEERING STILL VERY WONKY AND DANGEROUS - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 44 Old 08-15-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
kaybone
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah to be clearer:

2" of play in the steering wheel to the left / 2" of play in the steering wheel to the right
1" of play of rotation from Steering shaft to Pittman Arm when turning left
3/4" of play of rotation from Steering shaft to Pittman Arm when turning right

So the shaft rotates about 1" before any steering begins turning left * 3/4" shaft rotation before any real steering begins turning right.

Thats a little more precise and honestly about how it feels on the highway to the best I can describe it.

Gun Metal Blue Jeep Club Member #99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 Old 08-15-2019, 03:05 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
He said his steering wheel has 4" of play which is not hard for me to believe at all.
Which I can guarantee has little to do with his steering box. I would NOT be throwing money @ a new steering box when he still has ALL stock steering components on the jeep. Start with the TREs and other steering components.

OP. Do a dry steering test and post up a video.

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #18 of 44 Old 08-15-2019, 07:34 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnBC View Post
Which I can guarantee has little to do with his steering box. I would NOT be throwing money @ a new steering box when he still has ALL stock steering components on the jeep. Start with the TREs and other steering components.

But he indicated that he is able to rotate the steering shaft a good bit before the pitman moves. There should be nearly zero play there, and that does indicate a problem with the steering gear. But it is likely that there is more than one thing going on here.

I had the lower bushing in my PSC gear wear so that I was getting an inch or two play in the steering wheel. Even with that, it drove horribly, and wondered all over the road. Having the gear rebuilt solved the problem.
Jerry Bransford likes this.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 44 Old 08-15-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
kaybone
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Which is why I am also replacing, my stock fixed upper and lower control arms with adjustables with polyurethane bushings,
Tie Rod/Tie Rod ends and Drag Link, and steering stab/Front Shocks for good measure. After 200K on the stock stuff, it's about time anyway, and the new stuff should
help tighten all up, along with the replaced Steering Box. I gotta pull stuff apart and the Pittman arm off anyway, so might as well do it all. My two cents.

Track bar seems pretty solid yet - I'll hold off on that for a while.
Ball Joints still very good yet

Gun Metal Blue Jeep Club Member #99
post #20 of 44 Old 08-15-2019, 11:11 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:

Did you read his post above yours?

Get out and explore.
post #21 of 44 Old 08-16-2019, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
kaybone
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, did he read mine above his?
post #22 of 44 Old 08-16-2019, 10:15 AM
BM3

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybone View Post
Which is why I am also replacing, my stock fixed upper and lower control arms with adjustables with polyurethane bushings,
Aren't polyurethane bushing harder, not flexible enough, and hard on the control arm mounts??
post #23 of 44 Old 08-16-2019, 10:21 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_13 View Post
Did you read his post above yours?
I did.

I would NEVER replace a steering box FIRST. It would be last on my list. That is just me. I have spare TREs in the garage in case of some slop developing. Like I said I have NEVER had to adjust OR replace a box, except for throwing in a Durango box in my first 97 TJ.

Post up a vid of the steering shaft connection to the pitman so we can see the "slop". As they do have a bit of movement like Nashville eluded to. If anything maybe the ujoints in the steering shafts are getting worn.

If all these are in working order and no slop, then try to tighten the steering box BEFORE you replace it. 1/8" turns at a time and then test the steering wheel movement, repeat if neccessary

post #24 of 44 Old 08-16-2019, 10:38 AM
F9K9
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I’m only offering my recent experience after recently replacing my stock ‘03 Daimler gear box (180K) with one from PSC. Have a Currie HD steering set and recently replaced most of it and it helped a little. Mine was as bad as his sounds. My wife wouldn’t even move it in the driveway. After replacing the box, the thing drove better than brand new and I’m running a 3.5” lift.

For those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a taste that the protected will never know."

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
post #25 of 44 Old 08-16-2019, 11:59 AM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
It is not hard to narrow down where the problem is coming from, but you have to look at each area carefully, one at a time, and figure out exactly what IS moving, and what is NOT moving (or delayed, sloppy, etc).

It doesn't matter how good or bad the rod ends are, if there is noticeable slop/delay through the gearbox from input to output. But only the OP can determine that since he's the only one physically at the Jeep looking at the parts.

The adjustment on top of the gearbox will likely be a short-term bandaid at best. OP said there is 200K on the Jeep, so yes, rod ends & track bar bushings could be worn, but saying there is no possible way the gearbox is worn out, seems a bit silly.

Get out and explore.
post #26 of 44 Old 08-16-2019, 12:38 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It is not hard to narrow down where the problem is coming from, but you have to look at each area carefully, one at a time, and figure out exactly what IS moving, and what is NOT moving (or delayed, sloppy, etc).

It doesn't matter how good or bad the rod ends are, if there is noticeable slop/delay through the gearbox from input to output. But only the OP can determine that since he's the only one physically at the Jeep looking at the parts.

The adjustment on top of the gearbox will likely be a short-term bandaid at best. OP said there is 200K on the Jeep, so yes, rod ends & track bar bushings could be worn, but saying there is no possible way the gearbox is worn out, seems a bit silly.

Is it really silly on a stock jeep with 31s? How the hell would a gear box develop 2 inches of slop. I could see if you wheeled the **** out of it in the rocks, trees, mud etc. I have wheeled 2 jeeps hard on 36s with stock boxes and never had an issue with any box. Saginaw or Mercedes. Sure needles are in haystacks, but I wouldn't be jumping to the box right away.

post #27 of 44 Old 08-16-2019, 12:41 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
200K miles is 321,000 Km's...I don't think it's that hard to believe.

Maybe the OP can post up some videos.
Jerry Bransford likes this.

Get out and explore.
post #28 of 44 Old 08-16-2019, 12:57 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
200K miles is 321,000 Km's...I don't think it's that hard to believe.

Maybe the OP can post up some videos.
I do agree the high kms will wear parts out but I don't think the box is on a stock driven vehicle. Why don't we replace truck steering boxes with the same kms ??? Suvs?

post #29 of 44 Old 08-16-2019, 02:05 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Is it really silly on a stock jeep with 31s? How the hell would a gear box develop 2 inches of slop. I could see if you wheeled the **** out of it in the rocks, trees, mud etc. I have wheeled 2 jeeps hard on 36s with stock boxes and never had an issue with any box. Saginaw or Mercedes. Sure needles are in haystacks, but I wouldn't be jumping to the box right away.
It doesn't matter what your experiences are, the OP confirmed his steering box has issues. I see problems all the time that I have never seen with well over 300k on my TJs that are driven hard.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #30 of 44 Old 08-16-2019, 02:39 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
It doesn't matter what your experiences are, the OP confirmed his steering box has issues. I see problems all the time that I have never seen with well over 300k on my TJs that are driven hard.
It is pretty clear on this site that a lot of inexperienced jeepers misdiagnose things. Pictures/videos tell a thousand tales. If the OP was dead sure on his steering box, he wouldn't be on here asking what he should replace. Most of the time the slop is in the steering shafts and/or coupler that attaches to the Box input. It could be skipping or loose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in