98 TJ Locking Front Brakes - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-25-2021, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
johnrmclean

1998 TJ Wrangler 

98 TJ Locking Front Brakes

I have a 1998 TJ with 200,000 clicks on it. So I had a issue with my passenger side front caliper seizing. I swapped out the caliper, rotor and pads and then had a hell of a time trying to bleed the brakes lines. At one time I could not even get fluid to pass through the line and after it was still pulling. Next I replaced the brake hose. It was still hard to get a good bleed but seemed to drive better with just a slight pull to the same side under heavy braking but then the driver side locked up. However, after it cooled off and I pulled the wheel off, the rotor was turning freely and the caliper would release easily. I replaced the hose next thinking that may be the problem. The drivers side bleed easily. Then I went back to check the passenger side . I removed the wheel and found while the rotor would turn it was tight. Then I noticed the bearings/wheel hub was shot, probably from the heat when it first seized. So, once I get the hub changed, if I still have the problem , the question is ...what else beside a stuck caliper or bad hose could cause the front brakes to size up ??
master cylinder
brake booster
proportioning valve
pb check valve
???

A Kid can never have enough sets of wheels!!!
98 TJ, 82 El Camino tactical support vehicle, 2001 supercharged S 2000, 1979 MGB 350 ci/400hp small block Chevy, 1947 Studebaker pick up/future Rat Ride, 2001 Sebring Convertible, 28' Baja Offsore, 2 seados and a 17' fishing boat...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-25-2021, 12:45 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

quick questions-

Both front wheels lock/drag or just the Right front?
ABS does the ABS light come on @2seconds every start then go out?
Sorry gotta ask brake caliper and hose were NEW, you did not allow caliper to hang down supported by hose doing repairs?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-25-2021, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
johnrmclean

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
quick questions-

Both front wheels lock/drag or just the Right front?
ABS does the ABS light come on @2seconds every start then go out?
Sorry gotta ask brake caliper and hose were NEW, you did not allow caliper to hang down supported by hose doing repairs?
Appears to just be drivers side now but won't know for sure till I replace the passenger side wheel hub now because the bearings are fried. Originally it was just the passenger side and I replaced the caliper which was sticking and then the hose. Calipers were never left hanging.

Then I test drove and the drivers side seized up but the caliper release so its not seized so I replaced the hose. Haven't re-driven since then. Hope to change the hub tomorrow if its not raining.

A Kid can never have enough sets of wheels!!!
98 TJ, 82 El Camino tactical support vehicle, 2001 supercharged S 2000, 1979 MGB 350 ci/400hp small block Chevy, 1947 Studebaker pick up/future Rat Ride, 2001 Sebring Convertible, 28' Baja Offsore, 2 seados and a 17' fishing boat...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in