98 Sahara 4.0 swap to new 4.0 - advice? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 17 Old 02-03-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Peezi
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Drives like it did in the 90s

Fast forward 3 years and about $8,000.00 in parts and I'm happy to say that the old Jeep is running great, I can't believe how fun it is to drive. All in all I had a lot of fun doing the overhaul and learned a lot about engines. I probably could have just bought a souped up Jeep for about the same price I invested, but it wasn't really about the money, it was about the journey and doing something that I love to do (work on cars). $1000 of the cost was to fix body damage, $400 on tools, and $1200 on options to make the car fun in the sun, so my total costs were higher than they needed to be but again, it wasn't about trying to be cheap. I want to Jeep to look good for years to come (just put new door handles on it yesterday). Plus, I upgraded the suspension to Curry, which was another $2000 of optional expenses. I'm to the point where I only have a few things left to do on it; the axle's, the radio, the carpet, and the wheel flairs, that will add $3000.00-$4000.00 to the cost if I decide to change the gears in the axles (and do lockers at the same time). I am taking the car to the axle shop next week to have someone look it over and make recommendations based on my driving habits (I like to take it to the ski resorts so I need more torque going uphill). Once that's done I will determine how I want the wheel flairs to be set up and painted (probably powder coated black but I could decide to go with the same color of the jeep to keep the Sahara look). Once all that is done I will but a Bluetooth radio to catch up to technology and new carpeting to make it look smell fresh again (original carpet is seriously oiled up and trashed). At that point I suppose it will be time to get a new car.

So here is list of expenses for reference, I even included the aligment I had someone else do for me after I installed the new suspension and tires, as follows:
Re-manufactured engine: 1,800.00
Engine Mounts 140.00
New tires (5) 900.00
New wheels 600.00
Radiator 140.00
Clutch/flywheel 210.00
Front Grill 440.00
Rear Door 140.00
Muffler 75.00
Adjustable Control Arms 1,100.00
Ball Joints 200.00
Front track bar 200.00
Sway bar links 120.00
Tie rod assembly 400.00
Rear bumper/tire carrier 500.00
throw-out bearing 30.00
water pump 30.00
paint 400.00
harmonic balancer 40.00
Misc parts/bolts/tools 100.00
Cherry picker/engine tble 400.00
Safari doors 400.00
Mirrors 75.00
4 wheel alignment 200.00
Total cost 8640.00

If anyone has any advise on axle's gears and wheel flairs I would love to hear about it! I don't have any flairs on my front wheels and mud is flying everywhere, so I really want to just do the whole thing at once instead of doing the front first and the rear later, rear still has stock Safari flairs. I had purchased some Poison Spyder front flairs but decided to return them later before I put them on. Otherwise, I'll provide updates as I complete more upgrades. - PZ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 Old 02-06-2019, 01:53 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Let's see some pics!

Tags
1998 , 4.0l , engine swap , jeep , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in