98 Jeep Wrangler Help (CELs after exhaust manifold and valve cover work) - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jerry Bransford

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
RichStar

98 Jeep Wrangler Help (CELs after exhaust manifold and valve cover work)

Just looking for some troubleshooting ideas...
Vehicle is a 1998 Jeep Wrangler 4.0l

I just replaced by exhaust manifold and gasket and my valve cover and gasket. Prior to the swamp my jeep has been running fine for the last 20,000miles.

After i installed the new parts my check engine triggered for codes (P0-300,306,305,505,123,118,113,and 463).
IV checked million times under the hood to ensure i connected every wire proper and tightened ever bolt.
everything looks correct from a visual perspective.
i started to replace parts the (distributer and the idle air control valve) but nothing has helped.

Before i go replacing a ton of parts, i just wanted to see what other had to say..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 08:52 PM
TJTurbo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Firing order is correct? No crossed up plug wires?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
RichStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTurbo View Post
Firing order is correct? No crossed up plug wires?

Yes sir, triple checked my wires to make sure i didnt goof them up. even had a buddy give me a second opinion.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 09:04 PM
TJTurbo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichStar View Post
Yes sir, triple checked my wires to make sure i didnt goof them up. even had a buddy give me a second opinion.
Battery terminals clean as well as ground wire connections? After that I'm at a loss but I'm sure some of the more trouble shooting experienced members will be able to help you.

post #5 of 11 Old 11-17-2019, 10:17 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your IAT and coolant temperature as well as the TPS sensors are all jacked. Sounds like a wiring issue or perhaps they were damaged while replacing the intake manifold. Bad temperature sensors can thoroughly confuse the ECM into giving a bad air fuel ratio. So it sounds electrical to me.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-18-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
RichStar

I kinda figured something electrical considering j had no issues till now. I'll double tap all my wiring. I hadn't realized issues with the coolant sensor would effect other systems. I appreciate your help!
post #7 of 11 Old 11-18-2019, 01:18 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

P0113, 118, 123, and 463 all are sensor voltage too high faults, and P0505 is a fault for the IAC control circuit where the PCM is seeing a short to ground or short to voltage on at least one of the four IAC wires. A common location for wiring shorts of this nature is where the harness passes around the rear of the valve cover near the firewall -- with the problem popping up right after changing out the valve cover seal, I'd start looking within half a foot either side of that section of wiring as the source of the problem.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #8 of 11 Old 11-18-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
RichStar

Thank yall for the help so far, i just checked my firing order and my wire harness. My spark wires are good, but i did find a beat up ground wire behind the valve cover. I fixed the ground wire and re-connected my battery, drove around for 15 minutes till my check engine came back on(flashed at first, but hen went solid). Good news im down to just (2) codes. The 300 and the code 306. I do notice a slight lope in the jeep when i rev the engine (assuming thats the mis-fire).
Im gunna run over the wire harness again and look for any bad wires, i also got some dye electric grease and im gunna lube up all my connectors. if anyone has any other ideas please pitch em. I appricate the help!
post #9 of 11 Old 11-18-2019, 09:11 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Dielectric grease only protects against moisture, it doesn't help make connections better.
dln1962 likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-18-2019, 09:32 PM
RevScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichStar View Post
Thank yall for the help so far, i just checked my firing order and my wire harness. My spark wires are good, but i did find a beat up ground wire behind the valve cover. I fixed the ground wire and re-connected my battery, drove around for 15 minutes till my check engine came back on(flashed at first, but hen went solid). Good news im down to just (2) codes. The 300 and the code 306. I do notice a slight lope in the jeep when i rev the engine (assuming thats the mis-fire).
Im gunna run over the wire harness again and look for any bad wires, i also got some dye electric grease and im gunna lube up all my connectors. if anyone has any other ideas please pitch em. I appricate the help!
go back to your plug wires and make sure you dont have any laying in contact with another, inducing current (no you can not induce voltage only current) in the other cable resulting in cross firing in that cylinder. They make universal wiring looms, however they can cause more problems than they are worth, only factory plug wire looms are worth messing with unless you have a solid understanding of how to PREVENT cross-firing by proper cable routing
post #11 of 11 Old 11-23-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
RichStar

Hey yall I appreciate all the help. I was finally able to fix the jeep. I got new spark plugs and new spark plug wires (returned the ones I just bought and got a better brand), this seems to have corrected the issue. when I re-installed the wires I ensured followed a factory image of how the wires are run to make sure I didn't get any crazy cross fire from the cables running over each other. Thank yall very much for the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in