97 wrangler sport gauges are flat lined... - JeepForum.com
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By gp3po

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-09-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
jhockadaysjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 wrangler sport gauges are flat lined...

I am new to jeep forum; i am having a problem with all my guages. The lights work behind the gauges but the gauges do not. Also my wind shield wipers are not working as well as my radio. I think that all of these problems are related but not sure........Please help. Thanks jhockaday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Piratejonh

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Start with a bad ground. Has something been changed, worked on, modified recently?

Jeep took another piece of my finger today...
post #3 of 14 Old 04-09-2011, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
jhockadaysjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

no nothing has changed, where are the grounds located?

post #4 of 14 Old 04-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Piratejonh

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Start with easy things. Check your fuses behind the glove box. Use a test light to check for continuity (Power and ground) Check the battery connections. Remove and clean the connection. Check where its grounded to the frame. loosen and tighten the bolt if its corroded. There are a few grounds under the dash. Look for wires connected to the firewall by your feet. Hopefully someone will speak up with very specific paces to look.
It is unlikely all these electrical things suffered spontaneous coordinated failure. The ground is the common connection.

Jeep took another piece of my finger today...
post #5 of 14 Old 04-09-2011, 08:23 PM
dslane
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds to me like your instrument panel connections are not making contact. Mine did that today and I tapped the plastic and they came back. I had to do that to my Jeep as well. with it I pulled it out and made a slight bend on the pins and re inserted them. There's alot of threads on this. Pretty common problem. I never noticed it affecting the radio or wipers though. Can't remember.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-09-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
jhockadaysjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ok thanks im going to try all of that... i appreciate the help ill let yall know how it turns out.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-13-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
jhockadaysjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well i checked the grounds,fuses and the connecter pins (for the gauges displays) --everything looked to be in order. Still no luck though.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Gruneun
1998 TJ Wrangler 

We had the same symptom (gauges fall flat, but car drives along happily). Slapping the top of the dash was enough to bring it right back, so I was certain it was a loose connection. Turns out, there was a TSB for the wiring harness to the back of the gauge cluster. The dealer soldered on a replacement connector (it was under warranty).

A little gentle adjusting of the pins with some needle-nose pliers might be enough to make sure they're all seated well.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-18-2011, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
jhockadaysjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

bending the pins didnt work either....i dont know what the problem is, i tried hitting the plastic and the guages still would not come on not even for a brief second??????
post #10 of 14 Old 04-18-2011, 03:10 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Gauge fault may be fuse 17 under the hood. When the radio and wipers don't work are the turn signals functioning? If turn signals don't work too it's the ignition switch.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-19-2011, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
jhockadaysjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The turn signals work though; ill check that fuse '17' under the hood.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-19-2011, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
jhockadaysjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It worked, i really apprieciate. I was thinking it was something major for some reason; seems to always be my luck. Kinda foolish of me to not check it but im still learning. Thanks again, Josh Hockaday
post #13 of 14 Old 10-10-2018, 05:14 PM
gp3po

LOL Seven years later and my dilema: Radio won't work. I check the fuse. Its okay. THEN I notice I am out of gas! I run down the street and gas up the rig, but the gauge is still on E. Oh! ALL the gauges are to the left and not working. I check Instrument fuse and it is okay. Go online and find this thread. Fuse 17! That was it. All is well. Thanks.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-12-2018, 08:39 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp3po View Post
LOL Seven years later and my dilema: Radio won't work. I check the fuse. Its okay. THEN I notice I am out of gas! I run down the street and gas up the rig, but the gauge is still on E. Oh! ALL the gauges are to the left and not working. I check Instrument fuse and it is okay. Go online and find this thread. Fuse 17! That was it. All is well. Thanks.
Pay at the door on your way out!

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in