94 Cherokee 4.0 in an 01 TJ - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CJ7-Tim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-30-2020, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Muddblood
1997 XJ Cherokee 

94 Cherokee 4.0 in an 01 TJ

Will a 4.0L engine from a 94 Cherokee work in an 01 4.0L Wrangler? I keep hearing that the blocks are different.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-30-2020, 05:05 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You are hearing correctly.

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange. (1991 to 1995 YJ and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will also interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks do not interchange with 2000+ TJ Wrangler or any WJ Grand Cherokee blocks without significant modifications.

TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L Engine block castings underwent major physical design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand Cherokee, and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These “S” VIN code engine blocks from a 1999-04 WJ Grand Cherokee and 2000-06 TJ Wrangler are not bolt on interchangeable with any XJ Cherokee or ZJ Grand Cherokee engine block (nor with any 1997-99 TJ engine block).

The reason why these blocks do not interchange is that the casting design changes relocated numerous bolt holes, altered the physical location of all the fan belt driven accessories, and in some areas eliminated the metal that could be drilled and tapped for the earlier configuration of motor mount bolt holes and fan belt driven accessory mounting bracket bolt holes.
jeepguy03 likes this.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 9 Old 03-30-2020, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Muddblood
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you! What if the 94 motor had all the accessories, mounts, belt and everything? Would the wiring harness, a/c lines, work? Can either 94 or 01 motor mounts work? My buddy was given the 94 for his 01 TJ and we’re trying to see if it’s at all possible to use. I believe the 94 is 100%. complete.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-30-2020, 08:27 PM
jeepguy03
Winning

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddblood View Post
Thank you! What if the 94 motor had all the accessories, mounts, belt and everything? Would the wiring harness, a/c lines, work? Can either 94 or 01 motor mounts work? My buddy was given the 94 for his 01 TJ and we’re trying to see if it’s at all possible to use. I believe the 94 is 100%. complete.
It won't work. The motor mounts and accessories are physically different. If you google some under hood pics of Pre-2000 TJ 4.0s and 2000+ TJ 4.0s you could better see what the differences are.

0331 head swap DIY:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Build" thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous: 1990 XJ Limited, 2000 XJ Sport, 2000 XJ Sport
Current: 1998 Wrangler Sahara
post #5 of 9 Old 03-31-2020, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Muddblood
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Shoot. Ok thanks.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-31-2020, 12:42 PM
Tarneg
2001 TJ Wrangler 

okay i have done motor swaps in all kinds of weird things and imma stab at this cause it may be useabl but its alot of work. if it is basically complete as you say then that solves the accessory system issues and the best bet to get it mounted is most likely to build new mounts in the 2001 frame to match the older engine mounts (usually requires cutting the stock frame mounts off) not the hardest since the engine is still a 4.0. i did a quick google for the older under hood and if im right the a/c swaps sides so those will need custom lines. also the wiring will be a nightmare alot of splicing and plug adapting, you may get lucky if its like a chevy and the sensors are the same just different plug ends cause then you can just swap the sensors in the block. you will also most likely need the engine computer and related management processors and sending units as at minumum the older engine should be the cap and rotor style and 2001 is the coil pack set up. again though depending on they they fit and sizing you may be able to take the 2001 ignition parts and fit them into the older block. i have no idea and best way to check is just try and see what happens. you will also need to make sure the back side of the block is the same to fit the tranny ( diameters sizes depths all kinds of little things). i have not done much frankensteining with jeep motors but i have mixed and matched parts on my chevy engine people said could not be done and they parts all bolted together so there is a chance,

but to put it shortly the hook up of the wiring and accessories is going to be the hard part and will likely take alot of effort to splice it in.

now if someone has actually tried this before and found a 100% issue that can not be worked around chime in.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-31-2020, 01:54 PM
Strangers
2000 TJ Wrangler 

with a certain level of mechanical knowledge, a bit of hardheadedness and a large stack of folding green...…..anything is possible

Me, Banditt, Tippie and ole Heep a long!
RIP Banditt 3/86 - 11/01
post #8 of 9 Old 03-31-2020, 02:31 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sell what you have, and buy what you need. 4.0L WJ's are as common as dirt.

Yes, the proposed swap is possible, and similar swaps have been done, but only with a great deal of extra effort and some added expenses. Sometime free stuff is only worth what you paid for it.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 9 Old 04-01-2020, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Muddblood
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I like CJ7-Tim’s idea. Thank you to all who responded.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in