8.8 Swap, the Cliffs-Notes - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 145 Old 05-26-2016, 09:53 AM
Deacon

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
This thread is about rear axles...and you have continuously trashed the 8.8 as an option. You do realize that the front D30 would need to be addressed whether or not the rear is an 8.8 right? Your point about the front axle is moot in this conversation.
It is not, because people keep getting ahead of themselves. They approach the 8.8 because they think it's a "good" axle for "cheap" and then start dreaming big. Sure, done up right and with enough money dumped into it you could run 37's on it all day, and that would help a little bit to overcome the rock magnet nature of the center section, but that immediately tosses out anything being cheap or easy about the whole project in the first place. And at that point, the 8.8 really loses whatever advantages you thought it had.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 145 Old 05-26-2016, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
From what I've seen of the mess involved trying to get proper track bar geometry when going to cross over steering with the WJ knuckles it's not for your average tinkerer.
I would think Savvy/Currie ultimate steering kit, maybe with the tie rod flip, with 17" Vanco brakes would be a much more feasible solution for the average person.
What is the other advantage to WJ knuckles? I think there's something, but I'm not remembering it...

I might be wrong (would have to go look again at their website which I don't have time to do right now) but I thought they Savvy/Curry Currectlync HD steering kit for the TJ came with them already flipped to get them higher as part of the design... Or maybe I've just seen some installed in pictures somewhere that owners had already done it and that made me think it did. Now you have me wondering because that setup is on my list of things to do... I have my long-term goals (6+ months), my medium term length (3-6 months), my short list (1-3 months), my very short list (less than 1 month), and my Where's the FedEx guy list (1 week+shipping time) and this lands somewhere between my Looking for the FedEx guy and my Very short list.

~

~ SouthernGypsy's Jeeps ~
2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon 4.0L/Automatic
1983 Jeep CJ-7 Limited 4.2L/5 Speed
post #108 of 145 Old 05-26-2016, 10:01 AM
Deacon

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The latter. Unless Savvy sells a version with the kit that I don't know about. I did it on mine and had no regrets. I definitely did it well after the initial Currie steering install.

Too many frowning stock tie rods out there in the rocks...

post #109 of 145 Old 05-26-2016, 10:14 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGypsy View Post
I might be wrong (would have to go look again at their website which I don't have time to do right now) but I thought they Savvy/Curry Currectlync HD steering kit for the TJ came with them already flipped to get them higher as part of the design... Or maybe I've just seen some installed in pictures somewhere that owners had already done it and that made me think it did. Now you have me wondering because that setup is on my list of things to do... I have my long-term goals (6+ months), my medium term length (3-6 months), my short list (1-3 months), my very short list (less than 1 month), and my Where's the FedEx guy list (1 week+shipping time) and this lands somewhere between my Looking for the FedEx guy and my Very short list.

~

A steering linkage kit cannot be pre-flipped.
Flipping the tie rod on a TJ does nothing physically to the tie rod itself (other than maybe effecting the length adjustment).
The flip involves reversing the taper in the knuckle to come in from the top rather than up from the bottom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #110 of 145 Old 05-26-2016, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The latter. Unless Savvy sells a version with the kit that I don't know about. I did it on mine and had no regrets. I definitely did it well after the initial Currie steering install.

Too many frowning stock tie rods out there in the rocks...

Likely what I will do as well

~

post #111 of 145 Old 05-26-2016, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
A steering linkage kit cannot be pre-flipped.
Flipping the tie rod on a TJ does nothing physically to the tie rod itself (other than maybe effecting the length adjustment).
The flip involves reversing the taper in the knuckle to come in from the top rather than up from the bottom.

No but I could easily see Currie offering a kit with maybe a tapered insert sleeve and instructions to make it easier. Maybe would make a nice kit to offer as an add-on.

~

post #112 of 145 Old 05-26-2016, 10:22 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Surely everyone has a drill to open up the knuckle for the insert...
Slow and steady though on this one with lubrication. I screwed up one of the 3 or 4 I've done and I think work hardened the arm. Getting a simple hole drilled became a pretty major undertaking.
post #113 of 145 Old 05-26-2016, 10:24 AM
grininmonkey

2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com...K-BRACKETS.htm

I think that is the sway bar mount relocation kit referred to earlier for the job?
post #114 of 145 Old 05-26-2016, 10:26 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No but I could easily see Currie offering the kit with maybe a sleeve and instructions or maybe even some ready to go parts to make it easier.

~
AFAIK Currie had nothing to do with the idea of flipping the tie rod. The people who did invent it, and who don't sell Currie steering, do sell the inserts (or they can tell you where to get them) and the swaybar link brackets.
post #115 of 145 Old 05-26-2016, 10:26 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grininmonkey View Post
http://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com...K-BRACKETS.htm

I think that is the sway bar mount relocation kit referred to earlier for the job?
You are correct
post #116 of 145 Old 05-26-2016, 10:28 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

You can buy a flip kit, just not from Currie.
You can get raised sway bar link brackets from Blaine on the Black Magic Brakes web site.

-

Quote:
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #117 of 145 Old 05-26-2016, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I admit it, now I'm confused... To do the flip do you have to use the Sway Bar mount relocation brackets (and I have the Anti-Rock if it matters)?

~

post #118 of 145 Old 05-26-2016, 10:32 AM
grininmonkey

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, I admit it, now I'm confused... To do the flip do you have to use the Sway Bar mount relocation brackets (and I have the Anti-Rock if it matters)?

~
Will have to shorten the links some...
post #119 of 145 Old 05-26-2016, 10:34 AM
grininmonkey

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Cheapest insert I could find so far and as a single insert...

http://www.ecrater.com/p/19334827/je...d=115931170339
post #120 of 145 Old 05-26-2016, 10:37 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

~

Yes.
When you raise the tie rod by flipping it, it will be trying to occupy space that currently belongs to the stock sway bar brackets on the axle. Those brackets from BMB fixes that problem. You just have to shorten your AR links to mount up to the higher mounts.

-

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in