8.8 swap and brake problems. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
pstack3315

1998 ZJ 

8.8 swap and brake problems.

my buddy has a 97 tj sahara. he just bought a 8.8 from ecgs and installed it. he also bought new front calipers for the hp30 he swapped in. had a hard time getting brakes to bleed, but ran quite a bit of fluid through lines. The pedal is hard, very hard. you cant even stand on it to make it stop. the booster is hooked up properly. when you unplug the booster, the pedal would not be as hard and you could actually push it. my question for you guys is do you think it would be master cylinder or booster?
thanks for replies

1998 Chevy Malibu SOLD
1998 Jeep ZJ -3.5", RC Quick Discos, Eagle Alloys, 31 BFG A/T KO's, Painted Cladding, CB, Panasonic HU, Infinity 6022i Speakers, Infinity 1250 Sub, Blaupunkt Amp, Taurus E-Fan, KOR Rad Support, Rear Recovery Point, Rancho Shocks, Flowmaster 40, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, Diehard Platnium Battery, (4) 6" Roof Lights, Roof Basket, RC HD Adjustable Front Trac Bar
My ZJ Build Thread----->>>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 06:58 AM
dkrajcovic
1998 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like it is the booster to me
but at the parts house you can get both as an assbley for around the same price
i would get both
post #3 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 07:07 AM
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Have your friend check to be sure his calipers are not upside down. The bleeders should be positioned up high, not down low. If they are upside down the bleeders will be too low to draw out air and the brakes will not bleed correctly.

Basically look and see if the bleeder would be positioned higher up if the caliper were to be flipped. This is a common mistake and an easy fix if this is the case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Founder of

post #4 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
pstack3315

1998 ZJ 

he did make that mistake first but i told him and he flipped them so bleeders are at highest point now.

1998 Chevy Malibu SOLD
1998 Jeep ZJ -3.5", RC Quick Discos, Eagle Alloys, 31 BFG A/T KO's, Painted Cladding, CB, Panasonic HU, Infinity 6022i Speakers, Infinity 1250 Sub, Blaupunkt Amp, Taurus E-Fan, KOR Rad Support, Rear Recovery Point, Rancho Shocks, Flowmaster 40, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, Diehard Platnium Battery, (4) 6" Roof Lights, Roof Basket, RC HD Adjustable Front Trac Bar
post #5 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 07:52 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
Have your friend check to be sure his calipers are not upside down. The bleeders should be positioned up high, not down low. If they are upside down the bleeders will be too low to draw out air and the brakes will not bleed correctly.

Basically look and see if the bleeder would be positioned higher up if the caliper were to be flipped. This is a common mistake and an easy fix if this is the case.
Upside down calipers wouldn't make the pedal impossible to push.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 07:53 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstack3315 View Post
my buddy has a 97 tj sahara. he just bought a 8.8 from ecgs and installed it. he also bought new front calipers for the hp30 he swapped in. had a hard time getting brakes to bleed, but ran quite a bit of fluid through lines. The pedal is hard, very hard. you cant even stand on it to make it stop. the booster is hooked up properly. when you unplug the booster, the pedal would not be as hard and you could actually push it. my question for you guys is do you think it would be master cylinder or booster?
thanks for replies
Did he mess with the booster or master during this process?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #7 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
pstack3315

1998 ZJ 

didn't mess with the master cylinder or the booster during the process

1998 Chevy Malibu SOLD
post #8 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 08:08 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstack3315 View Post
didn't mess with the master cylinder or the booster during the process
It doesn't make sense, but it could just be a coincidence that the booster went bad, although that's very bizarre that you can't push it with both feet and nothing was touched.

Is this with the motor on or off and is the vacuum line hooked up?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #9 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
pstack3315

1998 ZJ 

vacuum line is hooked up.
when it is running, the pedal is hard.
if you take the vacuum line off when it is running, he says you can push the pedal with your feet.

edit: he also mentioned it sat overnight with rear bleeders open..
possible airlock???

1998 Chevy Malibu SOLD
post #10 of 10 Old 11-16-2011, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
pstack3315

1998 ZJ 

or would the check valve in the booster be causing this? im lost here

1998 Chevy Malibu SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in