5 speed vs 6 speed trans for a 2005 tj - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 Old 02-09-2014, 09:57 PM
ctorres018
1930 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfman1967 View Post
Auto transmissions are for people who cant drive lol .
LOL did you pull that from out of your *** or do you just not have enough experience?

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/light-sleeper-2-0-a-1800073/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 02-09-2014, 11:03 PM
JeepnBlake

2004 TJ Wrangler 

By all means let's turn this into yet another auto vs. manual thread... cause those are so productive.

Given the situation where 90% of the vehicles traverse an obstacle are autos and the remaining 10% traverse it are manual, assuming 50% manual and 50% automatic, everything else the same it obviously comes down to driving ability, or lack there of.

The question is how many times is that truly the case? Few to none, that's how many.

I've wheeled both, obviously the manual is more difficult to wheel, it's more difficult to drive all around, and in general.

Does that mean manuals are incapable of extreme terrain? No, does that mean automatics are the best thing ever in all conditions? Obviously not.

For the sake of this thread however:

5 speed:

Ax15 or Nv3550, both are fine transmissions, 97-04 year range, they have fairly decent gear spreads for the purpose of DD/weekend warrior.

NSG370, 6 speed, 05-06 and into the JKs with different gear ratios, they're also good. They have a lower first gear, and a lower over drive as well. Some argue that with 35s you should use 4.56s instead of 4.88s assuming manual transmission.

I personally found the shift between 3 and 4 annoying in the tjs, and between 4 and 5 in the pentastar jks annoying.

Given the choice between the 5 speed and the 6 speed assuming all else equal I would have a difficult time choosing between the two. If you're debating the switch from one to another, I'd ask why.

If you have the option between the two I feel like the 5 speed is more sporty, and shifts easier. I also feel like the spread is slightly larger, yet matched well enough that my 5 speed would beat any 6 speed, assuming all things equal.

Good luck, ultimately I'd go with which ever one I got the better deal on.

-Blake-

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dad's Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:
post #18 of 26 Old 02-10-2014, 08:11 PM
murfman1967
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorres018 View Post
LOL did you pull that from out of your *** or do you just not have enough experience?
Experience? I was wheeling before you were born, literally. I bought my first 4X4 in 1984. My first Jeep in 1996. I've had both auto and manual transmissions and prefer a manual in every instance except plowing snow. I like the added compression braking descending a hill and when climbing a hill the clutch is great for stopping forward momentum quickly. A manual trans is also nice when doing something like crossing the San Rafael Swell, or Death Valley, much less to breakdown and barring an unlikely catastrophic failure you can still drive home without a clutch, or stuck in one gear. Ask me how I know.. I once punched a hole in my trans pan in the middle off Death Valley, the 2 quarts of trans fluid I kept in the truck were no where near enough to keep the trans happy. That was a long walk....

post #19 of 26 Old 02-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
I had no complaints with my ax15 that was in my 98, but love the 6 speed in my 05, easy to start in 2nd gear and the ratios are close enough afterwards to always be sitting right where the torque is. Shifts a little more like a truck transmission, whereas I felt like I could bang gears on the 5spd (just don't miss second gear!)

{Project
-'05 LJ build }~{SOLD '98 TJ -
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
post #20 of 26 Old 02-10-2014, 08:36 PM
jgoberkeller

1997 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-v...-buyers-guide/

This TJ buyers guide has a nice little tidbit on transmissions. says the NSG 370 has a lower torque rating than either 5 speed that preceded it. just something to consider.

post #21 of 26 Old 10-13-2021, 11:02 AM
sal5674

Is the 5 speed you referred to a 2005 or another year 'cause I'd like a 5 speed instead of a 6
post #22 of 26 Old 10-13-2021, 12:26 PM
EricD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Overdrive in the NSG370 is .838, first gear is 4.459
Overdrive in the AX-15 is .79, first is 3.83

I have the NSG and at a little over 150,000 my first gear syncro is gone. Other than that, it has been good.

I have considered a swap to the AX-15 since no-one wants to fix my 6 speed, but I have just been putting it off and starting out in second gear.

To answer the initial question, I don't think I would pay more for a TJ with a 6 speed. Gotta look at the whole package.
post #23 of 26 Old 10-13-2021, 03:06 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal5674 View Post
Is the 5 speed you referred to a 2005 or another year 'cause I'd like a 5 speed instead of a 6
They went to the 6 speed in 2005, it's not a good transmission. If you're thinking you want a manual for wheeling, give another thought to an automatic which is MUCH better in tough terrain. I would just avoid 2005 or 2006 models, they have several issues including the PCM for automatics and they also have issues with the oil pump drive assembly. I'd stay with a 2004 or older.
TheBoogieman and suicideking like this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #24 of 26 Old 10-15-2021, 02:36 PM
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My 06 had the 6 speed when I bought it. I had it swapped with an auto trans. I only miss the manual going up hills on the highway.
post #25 of 26 Old 10-17-2021, 10:40 AM
TJosh02

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'll add my $.02, fwiw and all that jazz.

My '02 TJ is a 5speed manual (NV3550 which is a pretty stout transmission). I am in my 40's. I've only owned 4 vehicles ever and 3 were manual including my first, second and currently TJ. I am a pretty decent driver but only wheeled a handful of years (long ago and again currently).

Here in Ontario our fun trails are filled with rock ledges that don't have a lot of grip, and if it was at all wet on the trail your tires get filled up with the muck which makes it even more challenging. Surprisingly though a lot of the guys I wheel with have manuals (maybe 20%, maybe even a bit more than that). Few of us, including myself can do a lot of the hard lines without killing it constantly. I wish for our terrain my Jeep was an auto. The auto guys just make it look a hell of a lot easier.

I've always felt that manual was funner to drive, but in tough terrain/obstacles sure wished I had an auto. That AW4 swap looks mighty attractive.

'02 TJ 4L 5spd
post #26 of 26 Old 10-18-2021, 03:03 PM
sal5674

Thanks to you all for the input!!! Can anyone tell me what other year transmissions will also fit?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in