5 speed vs 6 speed trans for a 2005 tj - JeepForum.com
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 02-09-2014, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
greenorangejeep
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: flint
Posts: 38
5 speed vs 6 speed trans for a 2005 tj

should i pay the extra money for a 6 speed t
rans? is it worth it for my 2005 tj?

greenorangejeep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 02-09-2014, 02:30 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: charlottesHELL
Posts: 41,509
Stick with the auto.That's no easy swap.
TheBoogieman is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 02-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Rubiman805
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 805
Posts: 94
I have an 04 Rubi that had a 5spd and now it has an AW4. go for an automatic.
TJosh02 likes this.
Rubiman805 is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 Old 02-09-2014, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
greenorangejeep
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: flint
Posts: 38
i got a auto i want it 2 b a stick shift y is it hard 2 do? y stay auto?
greenorangejeep is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 02-09-2014, 04:24 PM
murfman1967
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chitcago
Posts: 37
Auto transmissions are for people who cant drive lol Honestly I think a TJ/YJ/CJ feels so much sportier on the road with a manual trans, and i like the extra control I have off road as long as you have decent gearing. My TJ is the first stick off road vehicle I ever owned, and I dont think I will ever have another Auto trans in a trail rig. That said, stick with the 5 speed, the 6 speed has bad ratio splits, honestly I'd go for an AX-15 over the 3500/3550. Parts are still available and the 3500/3550 are orphans and getting hard to find parts for. The NV 4500 is a big heavy pig but it is another option if you don't mind modding the floor pan/skid plate to get it in.
murfman1967 is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 02-09-2014, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
greenorangejeep
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: flint
Posts: 38
so the six speed does not work that good? and the ax-15 r pretty cheap anyone know y it is hard 2 change from auto 2 manual?
greenorangejeep is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 02-09-2014, 04:45 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: charlottesHELL
Posts: 41,509
The way I understand it,the 05'-06' 42rle auto can't be easily swapped without a lot of work.I could be wtong,but I doubt it.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/05...anual-1772569/
TheBoogieman is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 02-09-2014, 04:48 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: charlottesHELL
Posts: 41,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfman1967 View Post
Auto transmissions are for people who cant drive lol Honestly I think a TJ/YJ/CJ feels so much sportier on the road with a manual trans, and i like the extra control I have off road
Anyone who goes off road would disagree with you.An auto has much more control.
TheBoogieman is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 02-09-2014, 05:00 PM
LilyBayXJ
Registered User
 
LilyBayXJ's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Presque Isle
Posts: 1,193
If we're talking strictly 5-spd manual vs. 6-spd manual (which is how I interpreted your thread subject), there are pros in cons to each.

The 5-speeds found in TJ's (with the exception of the AX5), are the AX-15 and NV3550, which seem to be bulletproof.
The 6-speeds found in '05-up Wranglers is the MB-built NSG370. This transmission has been know for having numerous problems.

However, having owned and driven 5-spd and 6-spd TJ's both for extended periods of time, I can say I definitely prefer the 6-spd. While the 1st gear ratio is stupid low for daily driving, 2nd gear is also low enough that you can easily start with it. Plus, I find the low 1st gear optimal for wheeling.

Also, I never cared for the large gap between 4th and 5th gear on the 5-spds. On the 6-spd, all the gear ratios seem to be an optimal to for smoother upshifts and more precise power choices for downshifts.

So for reliability, the 5-spds are undoubtedly better. But for drive-ability, I greatly prefer the 6-spd.

2006 LJ - 4.0L, NSG370, 31's
2001 XJ - 4.0L, AW4, 3.5" lift, 31's
1997 TJ - 2.5L, AX5, 2.5" lift, 32's - Sold
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LilyBayXJ is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 02-09-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
greenorangejeep
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: flint
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyBayXJ View Post
If we're talking strictly 5-spd manual vs. 6-spd manual (which is how I interpreted your thread subject), there are pros in cons to each.

The 5-speeds found in TJ's (with the exception of the AX5), are the AX-15 and NV3550, which seem to be bulletproof.
The 6-speeds found in '05-up Wranglers is the MB-built NSG370. This transmission has been know for having numerous problems.

However, having owned and driven 5-spd and 6-spd TJ's both for extended periods of time, I can say I definitely prefer the 6-spd. While the 1st gear ratio is stupid low for daily driving, 2nd gear is also low enough that you can easily start with it. Plus, I find the low 1st gear optimal for wheeling.

Also, I never cared for the large gap between 4th and 5th gear on the 5-spds. On the 6-spd, all the gear ratios seem to be an optimal to for smoother upshifts and more precise power choices for downshifts.

So for reliability, the 5-spds are undoubtedly better. But for drive-ability, I greatly prefer the 6-spd.
so the NV3550 is a really good trans?
greenorangejeep is offline  
post #11 of 26 Old 02-09-2014, 05:41 PM
LilyBayXJ
Registered User
 
LilyBayXJ's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Presque Isle
Posts: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenorangejeep View Post
so the NV3550 is a really good trans?
Reliability-wise, yes it's a very solid transmission.

2006 LJ - 4.0L, NSG370, 31's
2001 XJ - 4.0L, AW4, 3.5" lift, 31's
1997 TJ - 2.5L, AX5, 2.5" lift, 32's - Sold
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LilyBayXJ is offline  
post #12 of 26 Old 02-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Snowplow
Registered User
 
Snowplow's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyBayXJ View Post
Reliability-wise, yes it's a very solid transmission.
I have a NV 3550 And it was badly rebuilt, only took 2 months to start making noise. but i will say its a tough trans even with the internal damage and all the noise it still works, it just wont die.
Snowplow is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 PM
LilyBayXJ
Registered User
 
LilyBayXJ's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Presque Isle
Posts: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowplow View Post
I have a NV 3550 And it was badly rebuilt, only took 2 months to start making noise. but i will say its a tough trans even with the internal damage and all the noise it still works, it just wont die.
It sounds like that may be the fault of whoever rebuilt it. But generally that seems to be the case, it takes quite a bit to kill one.

2006 LJ - 4.0L, NSG370, 31's
2001 XJ - 4.0L, AW4, 3.5" lift, 31's
1997 TJ - 2.5L, AX5, 2.5" lift, 32's - Sold
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LilyBayXJ is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old 02-09-2014, 06:52 PM
commander184
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: chattanooga
Posts: 102
I grind a lot of gears with my 6 speed ....ax15 is nice.. I do like my 4l60 in my s10 I have 1st 2nd and drive so I have the same control over gearing but it has to rev much higher do to an auto being a slush box

'95 SaS s10 4 door blazer (one owner) dana 44's 36's, '05 rubicon 35's 4.5 rubicon express and 9.5ti
commander184 is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 02-09-2014, 09:52 PM
trickydick
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: geronimo
Posts: 258
I have the six speed in my 05 and I thinks its great, the only gear I've ever ground was going into first with in the first minute of starting it on a very cold morning, after one minute of driving it never happens and it's only happened just once.
trickydick is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome