42rle Transmission Getting Hot - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
xndrxw
2005 TJ Wrangler 

42rle Transmission Getting Hot

(42rle)So a week ago I noticed my transmission was taking longer to shift from first to second and back down. Once fluid seems to warm up this problem disappears. I have a temperature gauge on my transmission and it seems to be getting hotter than it should. Stop and go traffic two days ago it read 240 for about 5 minutes. I have replaced the filter as well as the pan. I am running the pml deep pan, derales inline filter as well as derales electric fan transmission cooler. I considered by passing the factory transmission cooler to see if that could be the issue but have not had a chance to do so yet and I would like to see if anyone has a suggestion. I have searched online for more information but could not find anything that was similar to my issue. Any help would be great.

http://www.expeditionnola.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 AM
JBTJ

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Not that mine gets that hot, but I still replace ALL the fluid in the system once a year. Heat kills ATF.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
xndrxw
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced the fluid in the pan as well as the filter. I replace one quart of fluid as well as the inline filter every other time I change my oil. When I dropped my pan to replace the filter 2 weeks ago the fluid was still a nice red color not brown like it was being burnt.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 11:55 AM
JBTJ

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure about the shift problem as I have the 32RH, but hitting 240 in stop and go traffic with the AC on for a few minutes is not unheard of.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 12:01 PM
jeepmutiny
1983 CJ7 

You could put some ATF friction modifying fluid in and it helps lessen slippage. There are formulas for GM, Ford and Dodge. I know many mechanics that swear by it.....Jon
post #6 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
xndrxw
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmutiny View Post
You could put some ATF friction modifying fluid in and it helps lessen slippage. There are formulas for GM, Ford and Dodge. I know many mechanics that swear by it.....Jon
Like the Lucas oil stuff or should I order some of the Lubeguard?

post #7 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 11:52 PM
2003RubiBlue
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't add anything to the transmission fluid. Always remember the mechanics that swear by it are also the mechanics getting paid when it blows up. My 2003 Rubi will get pretty hot in stop and go traffic and I have a temp gauge on mine, but I have never seen 240, I have seen 210 a few times but these were extreme, like July on the highway going on vacation stuck in traffic with the AC on. I have bypassed the factory cooler now, since I installed a larger cooler in the grille, but I have run it both ways and did not notice much of a temperature difference with the factory cooler in the circuit. How hot has it been on New Orleans lately. Maybe its just a few isolated instances, I mean like I said sometimes in traffic with the AC on the temp starts to climb because there is not enough airflow, sometimes I kill the AC and roll the windows down. Once i'm moving again everything cools down pretty quickly.

Brian

Will work for Jeep parts...
post #8 of 12 Old 06-27-2013, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
xndrxw
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003RubiBlue View Post
I wouldn't add anything to the transmission fluid. Always remember the mechanics that swear by it are also the mechanics getting paid when it blows up. My 2003 Rubi will get pretty hot in stop and go traffic and I have a temp gauge on mine, but I have never seen 240, I have seen 210 a few times but these were extreme, like July on the highway going on vacation stuck in traffic with the AC on. I have bypassed the factory cooler now, since I installed a larger cooler in the grille, but I have run it both ways and did not notice much of a temperature difference with the factory cooler in the circuit. How hot has it been on New Orleans lately. Maybe its just a few isolated instances, I mean like I said sometimes in traffic with the AC on the temp starts to climb because there is not enough airflow, sometimes I kill the AC and roll the windows down. Once i'm moving again everything cools down pretty quickly.

Brian
It has been in the 90s here lately. I have been driving with no AC on to see if it makes a difference and so far no change. This is the first summer with my new tires. Not sure how much of a difference that would make though. I went from 31s to 35s. Regearing it in the next month to 4.88 also.

post #9 of 12 Old 06-27-2013, 10:34 AM
77351wcj5
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The factory cooler is actually a pretty efficient cooler. Even though it is mounted in the cold side of your radiator, it also functions as a warmer-upper in the winter. You may have an indicator of future trans problems, could be low pressure or a slipping converter, but it sounds like the trans is trying to warn you.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-27-2013, 11:23 AM
JBTJ

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77351wcj5 View Post
The factory cooler is actually a pretty efficient cooler. Even though it is mounted in the cold side of your radiator, it also functions as a warmer-upper in the winter. You may have an indicator of future trans problems, could be low pressure or a slipping converter, but it sounds like the trans is trying to warn you.
Damn sure wouldn't want it mounted on the warm side of my radiator.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-27-2013, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
xndrxw
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77351wcj5 View Post
I guess I will take it into a shop and have it looked at. Just have to find a shop that will not try to rip me off.

post #12 of 12 Old 06-27-2013, 12:02 PM
boilerup1998

2005 LJ Wrangler 

How many miles on it? What are your typical driving habits? Is it offroad much or pulling a trailer? Wasn't able to view your profile, so I don't know what kind of set up you're running...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in