JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   42rle fluid capacity (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/42rle-fluid-capacity-4435595/)

rcsupercat 06-16-2021 02:42 PM

42rle fluid capacity

Hello fellow LJ owners. I have a question about my 2005 lj automatic Transmission 42rle fluid level. I did a pan drop to change the fluid and filter. I had a major spill when the pan fell and missed the container. after the cleanup and apologizing to Greta Thunburg on her private jet... 🙄 I'm trying to add the proper amount of fluid back in the tranny. At first I added 5 quarts of mopar fluid but it didn't even register on the dipstick before a cold start. I ran in through all the gears and took it for a 10 mile drive. Tranny shifts perfect, no problems. But when I checked it with engine running on flat ground it was way high on the dipstick, like 3/4" past full. I stuck a tube down the dipstick hole into the pan and pumped out about a quart. Well the pan was dry at that point, so I added most of it back. Still is way high on the dipstick. What is the procedure to get this fluid level correct? Btw I ended up with 5 quarts of old fluid plus whatever I spilled...I was advised on another forum to check in neutral. Any other advice?

2jhanna 06-16-2021 03:36 PM

I have no first hand experience with a 42rle, but on other autos, I add fluid in "fractions of a pint", not quarts.

Maybe, add a few ozs at a time until you get in the zone.

TheBoogieman 06-16-2021 04:08 PM

Check it hot and in neutral. Approximately 4 quarts ATF+4 when drained via dropping the pan / Approximately 8.8 quarts dry fill. I always bought a pan with the drain plug to make it easier.

Silverstoneavb 06-16-2021 05:25 PM

https://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/maint.htm

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Jerry Bransford 06-17-2021 10:27 AM

Overfilling the engine is bad news since the crankshaft is directly above the pan which can whip the oil into a bubbly froth. But not so an automatic transmission that has no moving parts directly above the pan. I routinely add an extra quart to mine so the ATF pickup tube in the pan doesn't suck air during a steep climb. 9 quarts is what it techincally requires after being completely drained but needing 5-6 quarts is common after just dropping the pan. I repaired my 42RLE two years ago and was surprised how much ATF+4 it took to refill it after having just removed the pan and the valve body. I first added 4 quarts but ended up needing a couple more before it was full.

rcsupercat 06-17-2021 11:07 AM

Drove around to get up to temp. Checked on flat surface, engine running in neutral. Added enough Fluid to get about 1mm over full mark.(at temperature) shifts perfect. Will check regularly for a while. Btw. after draining pan and changing filter(also let the tranny drain for two days) I ended up adding 5 3/4 quarts to get it a hair over full mark. Thanx for all the advice, it is appreciated.

Jerry Bransford 06-17-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcsupercat (Post 41295329)
Drove around to get up to temp. Checked on flat surface, engine running in neutral. Added enough Fluid to get about 1mm over full mark.(at temperature) shifts perfect. Will check regularly for a while. Btw. after draining pan and changing filter(also let the tranny drain for two days) I ended up adding 5 3/4 quarts to get it a hair over full mark. Thanx for all the advice, it is appreciated.

Good job, next time you can check the level of your 42RLE while you're in Park or Neutral. Only the older 32RH requires it be in Neutral. :)

rcsupercat 06-17-2021 04:19 PM

👍

The time now is 04:15 AM.