4" suspension lift vs 2.5"+1.25"bl for 33s? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 98 Old 12-22-2017, 10:58 PM
tanksoldier

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo_mondragon View Post
How much did the suspension cost you? That seems like a great setup. What did you do about track bars?k
Don't remember the total cost, I bought a while ago on sale. Less than 500 for both lifts I think. The 8.8 was more, about $2k installed. Came with limited slip. The RE lift included a steering stabilizer or I bought one to go with it.

ETA just to be clear, this was RE's budget spacer lift. For what I'm going to do I don't think I need anything more expensive. Looked up the receipts, it was about $350 for both lifts and the stabilizer.

Haven't done anything else. It's my DD and I've put almost 2k miles on it since the swap and lift.

pablo_mondragon likes this.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 12-23-2017, 09:22 AM
wvjeepguy81
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevlaw View Post
Sure doesn't look like 12, tires weren't flexing at all. My tires flex more at 26 than most of the ones I saw in your videos. Might be why they need so much wheelspin...
My buddy in the gold-tannish colored lexus in those videos runs single digit psi on Pitbull radial rockers. The Jeeps, I'm not 100% on, but they all run in the 10 psi range last time I asked. *edit* the guy with the blue TJ messaged me back and said he has always ran 6psi on every tire. The blue and white TJ's in the videos have went over to sticky swampers since those videos.

As far as buggies go, I'm sure you know people that hit stuff hard can't typically air down as much, unless they want to blow wheels apart. The small blue buggy with rear steer runs forged racelines and I think one of the guys ran TWF recentered H1's. I just messaged one of the buggy guys on FB and he said he ran 8-10 when racing, and 5-6 when just hitting trails.

I ran 8psi on my 35's radials and they didn't flex as much as I thought they would. I believe they were load range E and had a pretty thick sidewall.

But yeah, most of the rigs you see in all those videos are in the 6-12psi range.
post #93 of 98 Old 12-23-2017, 09:33 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjeepguy81 View Post
My buddy in the gold-tannish colored lexus in those videos runs single digit psi on Pitbull radial rockers. The Jeeps, I'm not 100% on, but they all run in the 10 psi range last time I asked. The blue and white TJ's in the videos have went over to sticky swampers since those videos.

As far as buggies go, I'm sure you know people that hit stuff hard can't typically air down as much, unless they want to blow wheels apart. The small blue buggy with rear steer runs forged racelines and I think one of the guys ran TWF recentered H1's. I just messaged one of the buggy guys on FB and he said he ran 8-10 when racing, and 5-6 when just hitting trails.

I ran 8psi on my 35's radials and they didn't flex as much as I thought they would. I believe they were load range E and had a pretty thick sidewall.

But yeah, most of the rigs you see in all those videos are in the 6-12psi range.
I think most people are saying nicely just what I said. 35s will do EVERYTHING in your vids and more. Skill accounts for a lot. I raced Motocross at a high level for years. Everyone had "equal" bikes, yet I could beat most of the people, most of the time. Some people have way better skills at things than others (with equal equipment).No Difference with offroad Jeeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" BDS lift/ 33" DC extreme country MTs. JEEP #18

post #94 of 98 Old 12-23-2017, 09:35 AM
wvjeepguy81
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I think most people are saying nicely just what I said. 35s will do EVERYTHING in your vids and more. Skill accounts for a lot. I raced Motocross at a high level for years. Everyone had "equal" bikes, yet I could beat most of the people, most of the time. Some people have way better skills at things than others (with equal equipment).
Cool, well come on over to WV and show us

*edit* I just look at google maps. You only have a 3hr 13m drive. So let's assume up to 4 hours. That's pretty reasonable. Also, you drive right past Crozet. Do you go to the park there?
post #95 of 98 Old 12-23-2017, 09:42 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Exactly where are you located? I drove there a couple months ago to buy a 99' XJ and it took me well over 2.5 hours through some mountains. The Jeep didn't make it to 50 mph until the DW hit. I wanted that Desert Sand 99'. that's a long hilly highway drive.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
post #96 of 98 Old 12-23-2017, 09:45 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

*edit* I just look at google maps. You only have a 3hr 13m drive. So let's assume up to 4 hours. That's pretty reasonable. Also, you drive right past Crozet. Do you go to the park there?
Is the Crozet park still open? I avoid rocks like the plague. Nothing annoys me more than slow, bumpy crap. I used to love red Va mud, high speed mud pits, but it ruins every Jeep. No disrespect to WVA meant.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #97 of 98 Old 12-23-2017, 10:19 AM
wvjeepguy81
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Is the Crozet park still open? I avoid rocks like the plague. Nothing annoys me more than slow, bumpy crap. I used to love red Va mud, high speed mud pits, but it ruins every Jeep. No disrespect to WVA meant.
Crozet is Big Dog's Offroad park, right? Last I heard, he's just open a couple weekends per year for events.

I'm in Fayetteville, just about a mile up the road from the New River Gorge Bridge. We have a private trail system in Swiss, which is around 20 minutes from here, and Good Evening Ranch is a park in Canvas, which is roughly 35 minutes or so from here. The Ranch is really professional and has a dining hall, very nice cabins, primitive camping, etc. You can crash here at the garage in Fayetteville if you'd prefer. We have a garage with central air/heat, fridge, microwave, bathroom, and above the garage is a finished apartment with beds.

As far as "slow, bumpy crap", the area here is very wet. Some of our trails are creek beds going up a hill side. Here's some pics from when Crawl magazine rode with us:

post #98 of 98 Old 12-27-2017, 02:09 PM
Slobert
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I saw that you decided on the zone combo. I think that will be good. I went with the BDS 2" springs that measured out closer to 2.5" and love them for the money. I have a 1 inch BL and currently have a tummy tuck as well. I think the 4" springs are pushing it on stock control arms. wanky angles etc. As far as tires, I had 16 inch alloy rims with BFG MT's I switched for Steel 15 inch rims with BFG MT's. THe sidewalls on most 16 inch wheels are desinged for trucks and are stiffer than needed for a jeep. The 33X15 BFG's have a lighter load rating and flex much better under the jeep. I love the simplicity and cheapness of steel wheels but thier are pros and cons to both. I love the BFG's they are not overly loud, wear great and give great traction. They have been around along time and have a loyal following. I have used them (original design and now KM2) since 1990 and have never torn a sidewall or had more than just a slow leak from a nail. Almost makes you want to ditch teh spare tire that I have never used. I have run them on a Toyota truck, Ford Ranger, Nissan Xterra and Jeep TJ. they get my vote for a proven tire.

Tags
bl , lift , mml , sye , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in