4.7 V8 / 545RFE swap - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 02-16-2009, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

2020 J-Series Truck 

4.7 V8 / 545RFE swap

Got started this weekend on my 4.7 V8 swap from a WJ.

Not much done yet, but this thread will be updated as it progresses.

Me and a friend worked for 2 1/2 hours on Sat and were able to make some good progress.

sspx0053.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 02-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

well theres your problem!

im interested to see how this 545RFE works...its pretty long.

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #3 of 46 Old 02-16-2009, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

2020 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
well theres your problem!

Maybe my thread title should be "My TJ will not crank over. What is wrong?".

post #4 of 46 Old 05-03-2009, 02:42 PM
chadsmeltzer

2004 TJ Wrangler 

any updates?
I just got a call about a 4.7 with trans and tcase for $500. Engine needs some work but I am thinking about it...

04 TJ - 2 KC Daylighters, 35x12.5x15 MT/R Kevlar, 3" coils, Rear 4 link, 1.25" JKS BL, 1" JKS BMML, 33 Eng. Hi-Clearance Skid, 8.8 with LS, D30 EZ locker, OBA
post #5 of 46 Old 05-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's awesome. If you can get it running, which I expect you will, you'll dig that 4.7L. We're on our second JGC with the 4.7 and it's really a sweet running engine. I'd love to have it in my TJ, that is for sure.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #6 of 46 Old 05-03-2009, 03:25 PM
rubidriver

2005 TJ Wrangler 

With that long of a tranny, I envision vibes that are very hard to get rid of. Do we have a plan yet for that?

2005 Black Rubicon - OME 933/942 - 4" Bilstein 5100 (canister up) - JKS Adj Track Bars Front/Rear - JKS Quicker Discos - 285/75/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
post #7 of 46 Old 05-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
With that long of a tranny, I envision vibes that are very hard to get rid of. Do we have a plan yet for that?
A V8 block is significantly shorter than an I6 block so that will help.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #8 of 46 Old 05-03-2009, 03:34 PM
rubidriver

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
A V8 block is significantly shorter than an I6 block so that will help.
Didnt think of that. Will the output shaft be where it would be stock? Or farther forward or backward?

2005 Black Rubicon - OME 933/942 - 4" Bilstein 5100 (canister up) - JKS Adj Track Bars Front/Rear - JKS Quicker Discos - 285/75/16

Quote:
post #9 of 46 Old 05-03-2009, 04:27 PM
LJameson

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Is it a HO 4.7 or the regular?

IMHO, this engine is the best swap candidate for a TJ as far as V8's go. They're silky smooth, lots of grunt for it's relativly small size and very reliable.

1976 CJ7 Restoration:
post #10 of 46 Old 05-03-2009, 04:38 PM
rubidriver

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak4life7 View Post

IMHO, this engine is the best swap candidate for a TJ as far as V8's go. They're silky smooth, lots of grunt for it's relativly small size and very reliable.
I guess if your talking about a budget swap, but if price doesnt matter Hemi takes gold.

Quote:
post #11 of 46 Old 05-03-2009, 09:48 PM
chadsmeltzer

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That's awesome. If you can get it running, which I expect you will, you'll dig that 4.7L. We're on our second JGC with the 4.7 and it's really a sweet running engine. I'd love to have it in my TJ, that is for sure.
I guess it has low compression in one cylinder, I talked to the owners friend about it so I don't know everything yet.
At the school I go to, I have to rebuild an engine in class. This seems like a good opportunity to do it. I know I would love a little more HP on the dunes.

My friend (I am sure he will post in here soon) has a WJ with the 4.7 HO and it is a great engine, plenty of power.

04 TJ - 2 KC Daylighters, 35x12.5x15 MT/R Kevlar, 3" coils, Rear 4 link, 1.25" JKS BL, 1" JKS BMML, 33 Eng. Hi-Clearance Skid, 8.8 with LS, D30 EZ locker, OBA
post #12 of 46 Old 05-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmeltzer View Post
My friend (I am sure he will post in here soon) has a WJ with the 4.7 HO and it is a great engine, plenty of power.

We deff need updates.....Ive been trying to convince him todo this all day. I really want to help with it. Ive never done a engine swap before.

We are pretty sure its just a bad valve....Worse case its got a hole in a piston so a new set of pistons, bore it out and new rings...Whats that? 4-500 bucks? still not to bad. Plus if it has a select trac attached to it he could sell it for almost that. I bet we could get it for closer to 300. oh and its out of a 2000 so its deff not a HO. But still, they make like 265 horse (or somewhere around there) Only difference between the ho and non is the intake and cams.

Anyways, what are you doing about the little stuff, like guages? fuel pump? could you set up the mount to still run the same drive shafts? Stock shifter hook up? Its looking like the hardest part is going to be wiring....I really dont think it will be that bad. I think we can figure it out, and if we cant im sure we can find friends that can.

Let us know how it goes
post #13 of 46 Old 05-04-2009, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

2020 J-Series Truck 

Oh brother, now I have to admit how long I've been draggin my feet on this. I was just going to delete this thread and start a new one when I made some more progress.

I just ordered a few parts this week so I can get back in to this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
Didnt think of that. Will the output shaft be where it would be stock? Or farther forward or backward?
Its going to end up pretty close to where it was previously with the I6 and 32rh.

Like Jerry said, the V8 block being shorter (about 5" shorter) makes up for the 6" longer 545RFE tranny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak4life7 View Post

Its the regular 4.7.
post #14 of 46 Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

2020 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticcat843 View Post
Anyways, what are you doing about the little stuff, like guages? fuel pump? could you set up the mount to still run the same drive shafts? Stock shifter hook up? Its looking like the hardest part is going to be wiring....I really dont think it will be that bad. I think we can figure it out, and if we cant im sure we can find friends that can.

Let us know how it goes
I'm using the stock WJ gauges. I'll have to modify the TJ dash so they can fit, but I think I'll be able to use all the TJ trim so it should look real clean when its done.

Fuel pump will be the stock TJ unit. WJs run on the same fuel pressure as TJs do. (49.2 +/- 5 PSI)

I suppose I could set it up to use the same driveshafts, but I'm not taking that route. The motor will be placed in the optimum position and the driveshafts will be considered last when the Jeep is back on the ground with the weight on the springs.

The shifter I'm using is the stock TJ shifter.

I too think that wiring will be the most difficult part of the job.
post #15 of 46 Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

Are you making motor mounts?
Isnt the Wj cluster quite a bit bigger than the tj one?

Well you said with the length differences that they are about the same length so it doesn't sound like you are going to have a ton of room to move it around. Chad deff doesn't want to have to buy new driveshafts.

How does the Wj trans compare to a 42rle in size, like around, chad has a tummy tuck skid, think it would fit without to much modification?

I take it you are using the wj computer and most of the harness from that? What other stuff do we need from the wj? We arent going to get a full vehicle so i guess we need to knoew what other little crap we are going to be missing later....Do you have a full jeep or did you just buy the engine?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in