4.0 Timing problems, just changed coil - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-09-2008, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
ronrdrcr

2002 TJ Wrangler 

4.0 Timing problems, just changed coil

So I finally got the new motor in the Jeep and it runs, but not very well. I checked the engine codes and get a variety of misfires for cyl 1, 3, and 4. It also has codes for ignition coil b and c. I just put a new coil on it because of the problems I had trying to get it to run. I've pulled the timing chain cover off and checked TDC and alignment of the cam multiple times, but can't seem to get the Jeep to run with the camshaft position sensor in the correct position. Don't know how the hell it's supposed to be installed right, and the service manual is very vague as far as the oil pump drive assymbly goes. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm going to take it to the dealer in the morning to hook the DRB to it.

Ron

2002 X-model Wrangler
4.0l 5 spd
Needs a new motor, anyone got a spare?

2006 Kawasaki Z1000

2005 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab
Duramax Diesel / Allison 6spd auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-09-2008, 10:52 PM
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Ron. Hopefully you marked the original position of the oil pump drive housing. With the oil pump drive removed, rotate the pulse ring so that the small hole in the pulse ring lines up with the small hole in the oil pump drive housing. The factory service manual says to use a toothpick to keep the 2 in alignment. Next, using the timing marks on the front of the engine and the harmonic balancer, rotate the engine so that cylinder #1 is at top dead center, on the compression stroke. Then install the oil pump drive assembly into the engine, while aligning the tab on the shaft with the slot in the oil pump (you may have to turn the oil pump). Rotate the housing back to its original position which, hopefully you marked, and install the hold down clamp and bolt. Finally, remove the toothpick and install the sensor. The sensor should face toward the rear of the engine. I took most of this from a 2004 factory service manual. Hopefully, that will get you close. Good luck.

- Chuck -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the "Dude" abides
post #3 of 11 Old 11-10-2008, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
ronrdrcr

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by numchuck View Post
Hey Ron. Hopefully you marked the original position of the oil pump drive housing. With the oil pump drive removed, rotate the pulse ring so that the small hole in the pulse ring lines up with the small hole in the oil pump drive housing. The factory service manual says to use a toothpick to keep the 2 in alignment. Next, using the timing marks on the front of the engine and the harmonic balancer, rotate the engine so that cylinder #1 is at top dead center, on the compression stroke. Then install the oil pump drive assembly into the engine, while aligning the tab on the shaft with the slot in the oil pump (you may have to turn the oil pump). Rotate the housing back to its original position which, hopefully you marked, and install the hold down clamp and bolt. Finally, remove the toothpick and install the sensor. The sensor should face toward the rear of the engine. I took most of this from a 2004 factory service manual. Hopefully, that will get you close. Good luck.

Problem is, I replaced the motor and had to swap the oil pump drive to the new motor, so there is no way to mark it. I did everything as the manual stated which is also what you described above, but the engine wouldn't even fire in that position. I loosened the drive housing and rotated it until it would fire. Now it's running, but with the above problems. I just don't understand why the manual doesn't state what the position is supposed to be for the housing, just line it up with the oil pump and then turn it to face the rear of the block. Makes no damn sense to me. There should be some marks or something you can line everything up to.

Ron

2002 X-model Wrangler
4.0l 5 spd

2006 Kawasaki Z1000

2005 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab

post #4 of 11 Old 11-10-2008, 06:40 AM
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Try the procedure again; only this time, instead of turning the shaft to line up with the oil pump, use a long screw driver to turn the oil pump to line up with the shaft . . . remember, the sensor should face toward the rear of the engine . . . you may have the assembly 180 degrees out of alignment . . . also, as you push the drive assembly down into the engine, it will probably try to turn, as the bevel gears align themselves, so you may actually be one tooth off in either direction . . . you might have to pull the drive back out, if it still doesn't run right and carefully reposition it, one tooth over . . . this is tricky, but if you get to this point, you shouldn't have to reposition the engine at TDC again . . . if you're careful . . . hope this will help . . . don't give up . . . you just have to "hold your mouth right" while you do this

- Chuck -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the "Dude" abides
post #5 of 11 Old 11-10-2008, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
ronrdrcr

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I know, I've done it at least 15 times trying to get it right. Even set the engine to TDC every time to make sure, but it's still not running right. Gives error codes 352 and 353 for the ignition coil, which is brand new, 300 for multiple / random misfire, 301 cyl 1 misfire, 303 cyl 3 misfire, and 304 cyl 4 misfire.

Ron

2002 X-model Wrangler
4.0l 5 spd

2006 Kawasaki Z1000

2005 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab
post #6 of 11 Old 11-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You may need the dealer to help you on this, it's not uncommon to need them to get the timing relationship between the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors set correctly.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-11-2008, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
ronrdrcr

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Got it figured out yesterday. Took it to the dealer and they sync'd the fuel injection, and said I was only about a 1/16th off. The main problem for the misfires were the Bosch Platinums I had in it. Bought some NGK's from the dealer drove home with the misfires and changed the plugs. What do you know, she runs perfect now.

Ron

2002 X-model Wrangler
4.0l 5 spd

2006 Kawasaki Z1000

2005 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab
post #8 of 11 Old 11-12-2008, 10:20 PM
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

glad you got her fixed

- Chuck -
the "Dude" abides
post #9 of 11 Old 11-13-2008, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
ronrdrcr

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Me too, thanks. It's been almost a year since she's been on the road.

Ron

2002 X-model Wrangler
4.0l 5 spd

2006 Kawasaki Z1000

2005 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab
post #10 of 11 Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrdrcr View Post
Got it figured out yesterday. Took it to the dealer and they sync'd the fuel injection, and said I was only about a 1/16th off.
Yep, that's another way of describing synching the two CPS sensors I mentioned above. Glad it's fixed and back on the road!

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-13-2008, 01:54 PM
jprs_peeprs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanx for the informative post!

C.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in