33" tires 410 vs 456 - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 55 Old 03-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred03 View Post
Are you sure you want to regear? I have the same exact set up as you do and do sand and mud only as well and I think our 3.73's are perfect for it. 4:10's are a waste of money and 4.56's ( I think will be too low) well atleast once you get into the sand and mud, but to each their own right? Good luck!
With more experience you would quickly change your mind about that. Being misgeared is just that... misgeared. In other words, 3.73 is not optimal for 33" tires. 4.10 is barely enough when there is a 5-speed with 4.56 being ideal.

New Jeepers are always afraid of lower ratios but with experience, they soon see why lower gears are one of the first modifications made by experienced Jeepers when installing bigger tires.

Running 33" tires with 3.73 gearing is like starting off in 2nd gear and you lose the use of 5th gear because the RPMs are too low for that size tire. Don't lose sight of the fact the engine is not optimal at all RPMs so you have to gear to keep the engine running at its optimal RPMs or you lose both power and mpg.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 55 Old 03-30-2012, 07:50 PM
55willystruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
With more experience you would quickly change your mind about that. Being misgeared is just that... misgeared. In other words, 3.73 is not optimal for 33" tires. 4.10 is barely enough when there is a 5-speed with 4.56 being ideal.

New Jeepers are always afraid of lower ratios but with experience, they soon see why lower gears are one of the first modifications made by experienced Jeepers when installing bigger tires.

Running 33" tires with 3.73 gearing is like starting off in 2nd gear and you lose the use of 5th gear because the RPMs are too low for that size tire. Don't lose sight of the fact the engine is not optimal at all RPMs so you have to gear to keep the engine running at its optimal RPMs or you lose both power and mpg.
X2!

Don't fear the gear!!!

I run 4.88 with my 33s on the 6 speed and wouldn't have it any other way...

Best of Luck,

Mike
post #48 of 55 Old 03-30-2012, 10:28 PM
02ws666
2003 TJ Wrangler 

why the hell Chrysler ever equipped a jeep with 3.07 gears is far beyond me. pisses me off. i have them and i am going up to 456 gears with my 33 inch tires. I can go 70mph in 3rd gear only turning 3k rpms lol. retarded.

what is the optimal RPM range of a 4.0? where should the engine always be?

post #49 of 55 Old 03-30-2012, 10:59 PM
55willystruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ws666 View Post
why the hell Chrysler ever equipped a jeep with 3.07 gears is far beyond me. pisses me off. i have them and i am going up to 456 gears with my 33 inch tires. I can go 70mph in 3rd gear only turning 3k rpms lol. retarded.

what is the optimal RPM range of a 4.0? where should the engine always be?
This depends on a few things but typically the 4.0 is at optimum efficiency between 2800-3200 rpms roughly-give or take a few... I have done a ton of testing in mine over the years and found best all around performance in that range consistently. Outside of that and everything suffered. Power, performance, mileage-all go hand in hand and work together. Lots of variables at play but generally speaking, that is a good range to stick with.

Best of Luck,

Mike
post #50 of 55 Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 AM
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck View Post
X2!

Don't fear the gear!!!

I run 4.88 with my 33s on the 6 speed and wouldn't have it any other way...

Best of Luck,

Mike
Ah-Oh,
I just ordered 4.56 for my 2005 4.0 6 speed running 33's as a daily driver. 60% highway- 40% city. Currently average milage is 12mpg with 3.73, I am hoping to increase milage as well as wheelability. Also installing E lockers with new G2 axles front and rear. Hope I made the right decision.....

Rich G. 2005 Wrangler 4.0 6-Speed.
just4effect 10" single sub, enclosure and amp 4 sale. PM me if interested, local only
post #51 of 55 Old 03-31-2012, 07:57 AM
jeepinmichguy_

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richd1963 View Post
Ah-Oh,
I just ordered 4.56 for my 2005 4.0 6 speed running 33's as a daily driver. 60% highway- 40% city. Currently average milage is 12mpg with 3.73, I am hoping to increase milage as well as wheelability. Also installing E lockers with new G2 axles front and rear. Hope I made the right decision.....
You will be fine, I couldn't imagine 4.88's and 33's on that tranny. It already screams in the highway with 4.56 in 6th gear and 1st is almost unusable on the road. I actually think 4.10's would have been optimal for my wife and the amount of highway driving she does compaired to going offroad.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
post #52 of 55 Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 AM
bigred03

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_

Everything always works fine when you don't know any better.
That's true I'm still a rook I barely got into the jeep world a couple months ago but I will learn everything one day
post #53 of 55 Old 03-31-2012, 10:09 AM
bigred03

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford

Oops my bad I didn't know he had a five speed, I have a 4 speed auto with overdrive...my bad guys should've read everything before writing anything.
post #54 of 55 Old 03-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred03 View Post
Oops my bad I didn't know he had a five speed, I have a 4 speed auto with overdrive...my bad guys should've read everything before writing anything.
With the 4-speed automatic, he would need to run 4.88 gearing for 33" tires. Your recommended 3.73 or 4.10 wouldn't even be close to the right ratio for 33" tires for that particular transmission which lowers the RPMs excessively when it shifts into its .69 overdrive.

I bought my '04 Rubicon with the 4-speed automatic used with 4.88 gearing already installed and with my 35" tires, those gears are not low enough, I really need 5.13 or 5.38. On the highway at 65 mph, the engine is lugging... the RPMs are excessively low. I keep having to shut the overdrive off to get the RPMs up enough to make it up even a gentle grade.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #55 of 55 Old 03-31-2012, 03:55 PM
4banged
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford

I bought my '04 Rubicon with the 4-speed automatic used with 4.88 gearing already installed and with my 35" tires, those gears are not low enough, I really need 5.13 or 5.38. On the highway at 65 mph, the engine is lugging... the RPMs are excessively low. I keep having to shut the overdrive off to get the RPMs up enough to make it up even a gentle grade.
I hear you Jerry, my 2.4l auto with stock 4.56 gears and 31s is the same way. I can hold 65-70 on flat ground but slight incline/gust of wind and I'm od off. I'm still trying to decide whether I should live with it or possibly go up to a 33 or even 35 tire and drive od off all the time. I do like the current performance around town so I'm worried ill gain hwy driveability and lose non hwy performance. I think most 42rle owners would give their left lug nut for a sensible (.78) od ratio!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in