Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

33" tires 410 vs 456

15K views 54 replies 30 participants last post by  4banged 
#1 ·
I have been debating this for awhile, and read of people loving and hating both sets. With 410 I would leave it in 4th at 55 giving me just over 2200 rpms. Perfect I think. And when going 75 it would be just over 2500 rpms. Is 2500 too low at 75, considering my aerodynamics, or lack of aero for that matter? Anyone who with experiences in both chime in plz. Also if you have oneman of these gear sets mpg would be nice. Thanks to all

#2 ·
Not many people love 4.10 if they have ever driven with 4.56 with 33" tires and the 5-speed transmission/4.0L engine. I made the mistake of ignoring the advice to go with 4.56 12-14 years ago for my then-33" tires and went with 4.10 instead... it was a big mistake. The 4.10 gearing produced engine RPMs on my daily driver TJ that were too low and I kept having to downshift for even minor grades. Go with 4.56.

#4 ·
Definitely go with 4.56's with your 5 speed.I have them with 32's and my auto.I think they would work well with 35's for the auto.

#6 ·
Deff go with 4.56's. I stuck with 4.10 to save money when I put in my 8.8 and wish I had not. 4.10 just doesn't do it for 33". Like Jerry, I am always having to downshift even for slight grades.

My 35"s are on now and my new 4.88 are going in this weekend. Looking forward to that.

#8 ·
I'll take some heat for this I know but I'm running 4.56 with 33x12.50's and here where I live it's really pretty flat and4.56 is really a bit much. In my neck of the woods I feel 4.10 would have been a better choice as does my buddy running true 35x12.5's with 4.56 and could not be happier.

#26 ·
I hated factory 4.10s with 33s and went with 4.88s. Mine is the 6 speed though. Love it, wouldn't have it any other way. Don't fear the gear-it is your friend, especially with heavily modded Jeeps with extra weight and bigger tires.

Best of Luck,

Mike
This.

I have 33's and 4.10's. I will be saving my pennies to get to 4.88's as soon as I get my rear DS and a couple other things taken care of. 6th is useless for me unless I am going downhill :rofl:

#17 ·
sounds like 456 is by far the most favored of the two. anyone drive 70 much with 456? if so is the engine noise too loud, or not a problem?

#29 ·
2.5L ........ Are you sure that you don't already have 4:10/4:11 gears? :confused:

With the 2.5L, you should need lower gears than a 4.0L, not higher. Example, if 4:56 are good for a 4.0L, the 2.5L will need 4:88..... actually, they need lower, but 4:88 is all the stock axles can do.

#24 ·
I run 4.56 on mine with 33's. Fun learning curve.

I don't use first gear, start out in 2nd, 3rd then 4th, then 5th. Down shift to 3rd for corners sometimes even 4th. Lots of power left for passing on the highway in 5th. No speed drain on inclines in 5th and still have even more juice left to get out of the way if needed.

#32 ·
I have a 97 with a newly installed 2.5 and the stock 5 speed...i just installed a 3.25 rc lift and 33's duratracs.....I will do all driving on the road around town with an occasional trip down the highway at speed.....Off road will consist of a trip to the beach and a dirt road.....no wheeling......what would be the best gears for this rig? My mechanic wants to put 4.10/11 yukons in........After reading this very helpful thread I am still a little confused as to what would be better suited for my needs......410 or 456? please help guys...many thanks for the input...

Jake1250

#34 ·
I have 4.10 with 33s in my Rubicon, I just could not justify the expense or a regear to 4.56 from 4.10. That being said, if my rear locker ever gives out, I may swap the gears and replace it with an arb in the the rear. I just bought a YJ with 31s and 3.07 with a ax15 and its a dog. Don't know yet what to do, find a set of 4.10 axles and swap or rebuild and regear what I have to 4.56 for future 33s. I will tell you this, my cousin had 4.0, 33s with 3.07s and that transmission worked so hard that more than once he blew the cooling lines off it(auto), he had no money or little money and we swapped in axles with 3.73s huge improvement but still not great.

#41 ·
Please keep in mind, I have NEVER wheeled in sand... so I will give you my opinion, not my experience....

You currently have/should have 3:73 gears.... going to 4:10/4:11 gears probably would be a lot of wasted $$$. Lots of money, little to show for it. Therefore, the choices would be 4:56 or 4:88 gears... However, since you wheel in mud and sand, the 4:88 gears maybe too low for you, if there is such a thing. My fear is, with 4:88 gears, you would have so much power going to your rear wheels, you would dig a hole versus get traction. My thoughts are, skip the 4:10/4:11 idea totally, and go with 4:56 gears.

**EDIT** I was just doing a little research, it is possible that you have 3:07 gear ratio, not 3:73 like I thought... Do you know what gear ratio you currently have? Have you ever ordered a "Build Sheet" for your Jeep? .... it's free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.