1Likes
  • 1 Post By mukluk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-08-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

32RH Whining

Hey folks,
So after a long trip from California to Colorado, my 98 TJ has developed a number of new noises and vibrations. The most concerning of these has been a whining sound, similar to a stressed power steering pump, that is audible only when the Jeep is in drive or reverse. I've got the three speed 32RH, which so far has not given me any issues, even with 230K miles on the clock. The jeep still seems to shift fine, fluid level and color are normal, with minor bubbles when checked in neutral. The whining sound is not audible in park or neutral, which leads me to believe it is not the pump, since the pump would operate in neutral. The whine gets higher in pitch with acceleration and then fades way once I reach about 15 mph. Torque converter perhaps?
I also have a very slight vibration/growl at higher speeds and I can occasionally hear a rapid chirping when I let off the throttle and coast at speed. Decelerating to, or accelerating from a dead stop also produces a slight "angry sparrows" squeal. All this may be a U-joint somewhere down the line, but I can't find one that has any noticeable play.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-08-2019, 04:16 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Check your rear band adjustment.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 8 Old 01-08-2019, 04:56 PM
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I also have an audible chirping sound with my 32rh at the same speed as the transmission output rpm. All of my u joints are good and I can hear the chirp when I spin the rear yoke on the T case by hand. I spun the transmission output shaft by hand when I had the T case off a while ago and IIRC it still chirped, but it may not have, it was a while ago. Been meaning to try and figure it out but mines been doing it for the past year with no other problems, so that's good at least.

I want a J-Series
TJ Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-09-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Check your rear band adjustment.
Why would adjusting the bands help? If the noise occurs when the vehicle is stationary, shouldn't that rule out the bands?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-09-2019, 01:08 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The noise being present while the vehicle is stationary doesn't rule out the bands.

The suggestion to check your rear band was based on that being a common component used for both reverse and affecting the forward gears if out of adjustment. Plus, since adjusting the rear band requires dropping the pan to gain access, this would also be a good time to check/replace the filter and get a look at the valve body -- opportunity for a general inspection for anything that looks odd as it were.

I tend to try checking the free/low cost and easier items first before jumping to more in-depth items and procedures. Adjusting bands, clutches, and cables along with verifying fluid level and condition can often clear up issues at a reduced investment of time and money versus replacing components or assemblies, and it also helps ensure things are setup correctly in the event changing parts does end up being needed.
Redrum TJ likes this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #6 of 8 Old 04-08-2019, 12:11 PM
Ashtonpk5

Garage
Was there ever a followup to the whining issue? I have the same thing going on with my transmission. Just wanting to know if there is anything I should do or look for before I drop the oil pan this weekend. I'm planning on adjusting the bands, install a deep dish old pan and install a new trans fluid cooler.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-15-2020, 05:41 PM
Redrum TJ

Garage
Bueller? Did the band adjustment fix the noise?
post #8 of 8 Old 02-16-2020, 04:31 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Those transmissions are known to get whirring in planetary gears as they age. Not necessarily an immediate concern.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

Tags
32rh , auto , automatic , transmission , whine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in