32RH- second gear disappears only when warm - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-16-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
sbs10v8
1991 XJ Cherokee 

32RH- second gear disappears only when warm

97 TJ 4.0/auto(32rh). Jeep only has around 80xxx miles on it but is very built and been obviously wheeled pretty hard. I've just recently acquired it so prior history is not known. Current problem is that when it is cold it will shift through all three gears just fine, no problems. Once it starts to warm up (5 min of driving) it does not want to shift into second gear. If I wind out 1st long enough it will eventually jump to 3rd and stay engaged like it should. If I'm driving and it's in 3rd and try to manually down shift into second the transmission does not respond.
I have confirmed the TV cable is properly adjusted, I flushed and replaced the fluid (ATF 4) by pumping it out of the cooler line and replaced the filter, and also adjusted both front and rear bands. Now I'm at a loss on where to go other than getting it rebuilt. All the other gears engage and don't slip. Second gear is the only issue and only when it gets warm. Any ideas or suggestions on where to look next?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-16-2019, 11:06 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Either your front band is slipping or the valve body is in need of a rebuild.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 7 Old 10-17-2019, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
sbs10v8
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Either your front band is slipping or the valve body is in need of a rebuild.
I just can't understand why it shifts perfect when it's cold and then goes to crap when it warms up. The only thing that might be changing is the viscosity of the fluid. What signals the front band to engage?

post #4 of 7 Old 10-17-2019, 08:47 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The front band servo is engaged by the valve body, specifically by pressure and flow controlled by the 1-2 shift valve, 1-2 shift control valve, shuttle valve, and accumulator. It is disengaged by spring pressure and by direct hydraulic pressure from the 2-3 shift valve.

You could connect gauges to the numerous test ports and run the transmission through to verify pressures and see where your possible leaks or sticking valves are located, but that isn't going to change the fact the transmission needs work.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 7 Old 10-17-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
sbs10v8
1991 XJ Cherokee 

If the front band friction material is wore and nearing the end if its life, would the recommended factory adjustment procedure get the band tight enough to engage? Basically asking if I tightened the front band maybe a 1/2 turn tighter to compensate for the missing friction material, would that help the band grab the drum?
I'm thinking that since everything is working when cold, I wouldn't think any valves are stuck, I can see the seals leaking and not allowing the required pressure though being my issue.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-17-2019, 07:00 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

It's your Jeep, give it a try if you wish. Please report back if it works or not if you do.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #7 of 7 Old 10-17-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
sbs10v8
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
It's your Jeep, give it a try if you wish. Please report back if it works or not if you do.
Mukluk, I appreciate your information so far. You are obviously more knowledgeable about transmissions than I am. I'm just looking at possible solutions prior to jumping into a full rebuild. I don't want to do something that will cause more damage than good but would also like to get the most life out of it as possible. My Jeep is a trail rig only and doesn't see any street time so it will get limited mileage on it. If the front band factory adjustment specs will run the front band until it's completely wore out I'd rather not risk damage to the drum. But if I can run it a bit tight and get some more life out of it I'd be willing to try.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in