241 OR (rubi) transfercase swap questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-11-2008, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
bfr

2004 TJ Wrangler 

241 OR (rubi) transfercase swap questions

a couple of questions for those of you who have swapped in a 241OR into a TJ that originally had a np231...

Were the inputs of the 231/241 the same?

What transmission do you have?

Did you run into any snags associated with mating the t-case to it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-11-2008, 01:16 PM
rubicon35
2004 TJ Wrangler 

bolts right up just like the 231 as far as ive seen. you will need to get what they call bastard joints for where you bolt up the ds to your new tc because the rubi uses 1330 u joints and all other tjs used 1310 u joints. you will also need a new rear ds or get a ds from a rubi and instead of putting the bastard joint on the tc end you use it at the axle end. and i think you will have to get the front one cut down. do a quick search and youll find a bunch of write ups on the subject. might want to try rubicon owners forum .com too
post #3 of 5 Old 04-11-2008, 08:59 PM
CrawlinLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have done this, while the cases bolt right up together , there is one problem. the 241 shaft mating up to the 231 shaft does not go in far enough to hit the rubber seal to keep trans fluid from entering the cavity between the two transfer cases. I talked to advanced adapters to see if they made an adapter, but they don't. I had a machinist make up an adapter to relocate the seal towards the 241 about 5/8" I'll have to see if I can find the drawing, it has been a while. your factory front driveshaft can be reused as you can buy a different output flange to mate up with your 1310 u joints on the front driveshaft, cheaper than buying a new axle. You will need to get a new rear driveshaft though.

2006 Rubicon LJ, 4.0 liter, 4 speed automatic, 5.5" Rubicon Express, 37" x 12.5" Krawlers on Champion Beadlocks, Dynatrac Pro-Rock 60 axles/5.13 ratio w/ high steering kit, Dyna-Loc front hubs, J.E. Reel 1350 cv drivelines, Atlas 4 speed/5.38:1, Walker Evans Shocks, PSC Hydraulic Assist steering, Nth Degree Oil Pan and Transmission Skid, Premier Power Welder, Kilby On Board Air, Warn 9500si, Dual Optimas, Hansen Front Bumber, All J Products Rear Bumper & Boulder Bars, PIAA Driving Lights, Rock Lights, Ham Radio, CB, Garmin 76cs GPS,Wet-Okeole seat covers

post #4 of 5 Old 04-15-2008, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
bfr

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlinLJ View Post
.....I have done this, while the cases bolt right up together , there is one problem. the 241 shaft mating up to the 231 shaft does not go in far enough to hit the rubber seal to keep trans fluid from entering the cavity between the two transfer cases......
which tranny were you using?

post #5 of 5 Old 04-17-2008, 08:49 PM
CrawlinLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

We have the standard 3 speed non overdrive automatic transmission that comes with the 2000 tj that we mated the 241 up to. I forget the number of the tranny

2006 Rubicon LJ, 4.0 liter, 4 speed automatic, 5.5" Rubicon Express, 37" x 12.5" Krawlers on Champion Beadlocks, Dynatrac Pro-Rock 60 axles/5.13 ratio w/ high steering kit, Dyna-Loc front hubs, J.E. Reel 1350 cv drivelines, Atlas 4 speed/5.38:1, Walker Evans Shocks, PSC Hydraulic Assist steering, Nth Degree Oil Pan and Transmission Skid, Premier Power Welder, Kilby On Board Air, Warn 9500si, Dual Optimas, Hansen Front Bumber, All J Products Rear Bumper & Boulder Bars, PIAA Driving Lights, Rock Lights, Ham Radio, CB, Garmin 76cs GPS,Wet-Okeole seat covers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in