JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   2006 LJR replacement locker question (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/2006-ljr-replacement-locker-question-4384809/)

TJnBC 01-23-2020 03:40 PM

2006 LJR replacement locker question
 
Last year with my 4L in my 2006 LJR, the stock rear locker LSD blew into bits going down the hwy. So I replaced it with a used Front rubicon locker. Well I just went to a fluid change on the diffs this week and little bits of the spider gears came out of the rear diff. So looks like that one is toast too :( . This time with my LS motor.

Questions I have. Will an ARB , Eaton or Grizzly /Detroit be as vulnerable? Are the spiders any stronger OR does the carrier beef things up?

I am at a crossroads what to do. I run 36" light TSLs on chromoly shafts. The front has NEVER been an issue. The rear seems like a liability with or without the 4L or LS motor....

So do I just upgrade the Locker/carrier? Will this solve the issue.

I am honestly thinking about selling it, once fixed, then save for a built TJ with LS and tons. I don't have the time or money to build axles at the moment

TJnBC 01-24-2020 08:40 AM

70 views and no response?

I would have thought someone would have experience ditching their Rubicon lockers (because they kept breaking) and upgrading to something else? Did it help?

Mousejockey 01-24-2020 08:53 AM

IMHO, 36's are pushing it with a stock motor, toss in the LS and you found the next weak point.
ARB is a damn strong unit, but with that motor you may fall into the "Pirate" mentality and need to "Throw a 60 under it"

TJnBC 01-24-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mousejockey (Post 40855959)
IMHO, 36's are pushing it with a stock motor, toss in the LS and you found the next weak point.
ARB is a damn strong unit, but with that motor you may fall into the "Pirate" mentality and need to "Throw a 60 under it"

Thanks MJ. This is the kind of stuff I needed to hear. I don't want to throw $1500 cad on a full case locker IF the same will just happen.

I am going to try and find a used Rubi locker to throw in, then sell the jeep. i have all new refreshed susp/steering parts within last month so perfect time to sell. With my kids being so young, and growing up fast, my time to work on the jeep is almost zero now.

I will spend the money on a new camper trailer for the fam and maybe a fitty bike for the kids to ride at camp. Jeeps come and go...this one will be a tough one to let go though.

JeepingNet 01-24-2020 07:59 PM

Personally I think I'd throw in an ARB. That is my plan when my rubicon lockers someday go on me.

I mean the other thing to consider is a dana 60 but that is a big investment. So I'd stick with the Dana 44, ARB and some aftermarket shafts. I've had a few guys tell me the aftermarket shafts are easier on your carrier since they don't torque up as much.

RockWoRM 01-28-2020 04:40 PM

I blew my torsen gears a couple years ago and went with the E-locker. It has been working just fine turning 37's. I actually like it better than the stock since I now can use front or rear lockers independently. I just ignore the flashing light in the dash. It's only when using the front anyway... so no biggie for me.
Of course ARB will do the same. But I did not need to get a separate compressor.

Mousejockey 01-28-2020 08:09 PM

Not on 37's 35's here, put in a Grizzly when the rear rubi grenaded, no issues, but I have been tempted by the 37's .....

TJnBC 01-29-2020 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockWoRM (Post 40859613)
I blew my torsen gears a couple years ago and went with the E-locker. It has been working just fine turning 37's. I actually like it better than the stock since I now can use front or rear lockers independently. I just ignore the flashing light in the dash. It's only when using the front anyway... so no biggie for me.
Of course ARB will do the same. But I did not need to get a separate compressor.

Thanks for the response.

This is the route I am most likely taking. How did you wire the Elocker into the housing? Were you able to use the existing hole for the Rubi locker air nipple (in housing) OR have to plug and drill a new hole?

fromme 01-29-2020 12:58 PM

Sure I have a suggestion but you wont like it. It’s time to call ECGS and order a d60 with an elocker or detroit locker.

TJnBC 01-29-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fromme (Post 40860403)
Sure I have a suggestion but you wont like it. Itís time to call ECGS and order a d60 with an elocker or detroit locker.

yeah that didn't fly with the wifey...unfortunately. I even priced out a G2 D60 w/Currie housing @ $5k cad...no go.

Will have to try and get by with an Elocker for a year or two then get a d60 back there.

RockWoRM 02-01-2020 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJnBC (Post 40860275)
Thanks for the response.

This is the route I am most likely taking. How did you wire the Elocker into the housing? Were you able to use the existing hole for the Rubi locker air nipple (in housing) OR have to plug and drill a new hole?

I had a guy do most of the work for me, but IIRC the OEM hole is used. However, you'll need to plug the hole for the dash light sensor. But that was easy enough. The thing I liked about the E-locker is it comes with all the wiring and a switch w/light made for this application... almost plug and play.

As far as the Rubi air line, I just used a fine thread small bolt and plugged the line and zip tied both the air and sensor wire on the frame up out of the way. The dash light for rear still flashes when you activate the front, but I just ignore it. Since the Elocker switch is blue and in a different location, it's no biggie for me.

joe_jeep 02-02-2020 09:38 AM

could u wire the e locker off the wiring the fires up the locker pump?
seems like it would be cool to use the factory switch?

TJnBC 02-04-2020 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_jeep (Post 40863823)
could u wire the e locker off the wiring the fires up the locker pump?
seems like it would be cool to use the factory switch?

From what I have read yes you can. Just need a relay and ground the switch I believe?


The time now is 12:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.