2006 LJ Rubi - ongoing issues. Desperate - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Jonloder

2006 LJ Rubi - ongoing issues. Desperate

2006 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 6-speed manual

I had issues with readiness sensors when the thing was just a year or so old. There was a TSB put out that involved re-routing some wiring in the fuse box. Around 2013, I finally got the local dealer that I bought the Jeep from to perform the procedure and it immediately went to ready state and I had no problem passing smog. This may or may not matter to the current issue...

It started with a barely detectable miss when taking off from idle. Over the months, it evolved into a hesitation and, eventually, a full stall. After a while, it got to where it was hard to start after the stall. I got trapped in an intersection more than once. I also began to notice that all of the sensors were not in readiness state after a stall. After getting some advice on a paid, technical forum, I tried resetting the plugs in the PCM. That always made the problem go away. Sometimes for a few hours. Sometimes for several days. The issue, as the tech support opined, seemed to be a voltage deficiency. I drove it like that for a year or so. Whenever I felt the stall issue start to come on, I reset the PCM plugs. That's no longer working. I sent the PCM in for a rebuild. They assured me that there was a programming error and it just needed reprogrammed. The hardware itself tested good. As it turned out, the reprogramming made zero difference.

I now have a Rubicon Unlimited sitting in my driveway with no way to get it registered or even running again. The voltage deficiency idea seemed to have merit but I've gone through every connection I could find. Either there's another issue that I haven't found yet or the reprogramming people failed to fix the real problem.

I sure could use some ideas on what to try next. Thank you for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 11:03 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

If the monitors are resetting to not ready it seams they are loosing power. maybe go over the 'repairs' that were done with the TSB, the splices, connections.

TSB #25-001-07

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 11:04 AM
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If the voltage is low, the voltage regulator is in the PCM.

What voltage are you measuring?

No codes?

'92 Islander
'06 Rubicon

post #4 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Jonloder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
If the monitors are resetting to not ready it seams they are loosing power. maybe go over the 'repairs' that were done with the TSB, the splices, connections.

TSB #25-001-07
Thanks for the reply. That's actually one of the the first things I did. The connections look very well done with shrink-wrap. I haven't cut them open to look at the soldering but they feel very solid.
post #5 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Jonloder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp View Post
If the voltage is low, the voltage regulator is in the PCM.

What voltage are you measuring?

No codes?
Thanks for the reply.

No codes. Just a lot of "not ready"

I don't remember the numbers but I measured at battery and at alternator, at idle and not running. No obvious issues.
post #6 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 11:34 AM
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Check the wiring harness at the back of the valve cover for chaffed wires, there's a known problem there. Not sure if it would cause this problem, but easy to check.

'92 Islander
'06 Rubicon
post #7 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 12:26 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Based on this: "I tried resetting the plugs in the PCM. That always made the problem go away. Sometimes for a few hours. Sometimes for several days. The issue, as the tech support opined, seemed to be a voltage deficiency. I drove it like that for a year or so. Whenever I felt the stall issue start to come on, I reset the PCM plugs. That's no longer working", I would suspect that your issue is caused by loose terminals in at least one of your PCM plugs, most likely plug C1. The female terminal pins in the plugs can be easily damaged/spread with meter probes if you're not careful, afterwards they will not make good reliable contact with the male pins in the PCM sockets. Additionally, repeated or forceful reseating of the plugs can damage the locking feature for the plug's terminal pins, allowing the pins/wires to recess into the plug when you try to connect it to the PCM.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #8 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Jonloder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Based on this: "I tried resetting the plugs in the PCM. That always made the problem go away. Sometimes for a few hours. Sometimes for several days. The issue, as the tech support opined, seemed to be a voltage deficiency. I drove it like that for a year or so. Whenever I felt the stall issue start to come on, I reset the PCM plugs. That's no longer working", I would suspect that your issue is caused by loose terminals in at least one of your PCM plugs, most likely plug C1. The female terminal pins in the plugs can be easily damaged/spread with meter probes if you're not careful, afterwards they will not make good reliable contact with the male pins in the PCM sockets. Additionally, repeated or forceful reseating of the plugs can damage the locking feature for the plug's terminal pins, allowing the pins/wires to recess into the plug when you try to connect it to the PCM.
Thank you for the response. I was concerned about this from early on. The reason that I've discounted it as being significant here is that I could get the same effect by disconnecting the battery. Therefore, it's nothing to do with the PCM plugs but simply a matter of power cycling the PCM. It seems like all roads lead to the computer. I still haven't got a response from G7 Computers. They seem to be on Covid shutdown or something.
post #9 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 12:46 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you're heavily leaning toward the PCM, Wranglerfix seems to be getting quite a bit of good reviews on several forums for their new manufacture units.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #10 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Jonloder

Quote:
If you're heavily leaning toward the PCM, Wranglerfix seems to be getting quite a bit of good reviews on several forums for their new manufacture units.
I admit that I'm on the verge of shotgunning the $1k option. That's a big chance to take.
post #11 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 01:59 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I personally abhor shotgunning parts, especially so expensive ones.

Could you explain exactly what you did when "going through" all the connections you could find?

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #12 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Jonloder

Quote:
I personally abhor shotgunning parts, especially so expensive ones.

Could you explain exactly what you did when "going through" all the connections you could find?
Battery terminals, ground straps, etc. I also used electrical cleaner in plugs at the PCM.
post #13 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 02:25 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

At minimum I would advise using a meter to verify the quality of your grounds and voltages getting to the PCM C1 plug. You want to see as near to zero ohms as possible checking continuity to ground at pins 9 and 18, and as near as possible to actual battery voltage (across the terminal posts) when checking for voltage at pins 11 and 29. On a side note, your battery should read 12.6v across the terminals when fully charged -- if lower than that, charge the battery or take it to be load tested.
Attached Images

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Last edited by mukluk; 05-28-2020 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Corrected pin numbers.
post #14 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Jonloder

Quote:
At minimum I would advise using a meter to verify the quality of your grounds and voltages getting to the PCM C1 plug. You want to see as near to zero ohms as possible checking continuity to ground at pins 9 and 18, and as near as possible to actual battery voltage (across the terminal posts) when checking for voltage at pins 29 and 30. On a side note, your battery should read 12.6v across the terminals when fully charged -- if lower than that, charge the battery or take it to be load tested.
I replaced the battery because the fully charged voltage was "marginal." I think that was sales speak for "I want to sell you a battery."

Do you happen to know where I may find a pinout diagram?

Thanks.
post #15 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 03:37 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

There is a pinout diagram for C1 attached in my previous post.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in