2006 LJ - Best suspension kit these days? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 41 Old 01-30-2020, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
LSTLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
You need different shocks and to possibly revisit your offroad tire pressure setting.
I have the squishyist set of old RE shocks on the planet and my tires were at 17lbs. Any less and I would have needed bead locks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 Old 01-30-2020, 02:54 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTLJ View Post
I have the squishyist set of old RE shocks on the planet and my tires were at 17lbs. Any less and I would have needed bead locks.
I don't remember RE ever making soft shocks.

17 isn't very low at all. Ideally you should go down to 8-10 with non-beadlock wheels.
post #18 of 41 Old 01-30-2020, 03:19 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
I don't remember RE ever making soft shocks.

17 isn't very low at all. Ideally you should go down to 8-10 with non-beadlock wheels.
RE's rebranded Bilsteins they sold with their kits were pretty soft on a TJ. On an LJ I can't imagine how soft they would be. I originally put Bilsteins on the LJ and they were way too soft for my liking.

I go down to 6psi when snow wheeling without beadlocks. 15x8 rims help on a 12.5" wide tire

2006 LJR...the madness begins again

post #19 of 41 Old 01-30-2020, 03:47 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just because the shocks are "squishy" doesn't mean they're necessarily the right ones for your application and desired ride. How much up travel do they afford? Is the valving possibly too soft and therefore not controlling the wheel sufficiently? Or is maybe the valving still too harsh despite being "squishy"?

Seventeen psi can easily still be too high depending on your tires' size and construction: for example a load range D or E tire will flex less and provide a harsher ride than a load range C tire at the same inflation pressure. You'd also have to be almost trying to pop a bead for it to occur at 17psi unless your wheels are simply too wide for the tires you're running -- I routinely run my 33x10.5" tires on 8" wide wheels at 12psi offroad and have never lost a bead doing so.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #20 of 41 Old 01-30-2020, 09:39 PM
OJack

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I run 8-9 psi on non bead locks 12.5 wide tires on 8" rims. Never even burped a bead.
post #21 of 41 Old 01-31-2020, 05:59 AM
LivinnSadley
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Following this tread that quickly went from best LJ suspension to deflated tire pressures...
post #22 of 41 Old 01-31-2020, 06:31 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

are the springs sagging?

how are the control arm joints?

you could just need some new shocks and a few mods here and there and be very happy with the ride.

agreed with the above sentiment, if you arent below 15 you arent really airing down. traction and soft ride really picks up around 10-12 psi and gets better with less. there should be zero issues running at 10 psi but make sure you get a quality low pressure gauge, many of the normal pressure gauges arent too accurate at low psi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 41 Old 02-01-2020, 03:17 PM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
i was looking for a soft riding suspension, but have the weight carrying capacity, for me to tow fairly heavy.
seems un doable, but its not. i run rubicon express 3.5" spring, they are heavy duty, high rate springs.
then i looked for soft valved shocks, for michigan's pot hole filled roads.
i went with skyjacker hydro shocks, they are very softly valved. im using 11" shocks at all 4 corners.
my jeep rides good on the road. it flexes well off road. it still tows fairly well.

i run 7psi at the dunes, no beadlocks, 12.5 wide tire on 8" rim
on my rock buggy, i ran 4 psi no beadlocks. 14 x 42" iroks on 7" wide rims.
on the buggy, i sealed the tires to the rims, with roof flashing tar. they never burped air!

if i was looking for a full suspension system, i would look at savvy or currie.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #24 of 41 Old 02-01-2020, 07:25 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow, I am behind the times. What's the issue with LA kits?
Aside from what's already been said, some feel long arms get hung up too much and get in the way too much as opposed to SA's. I would agree with that on a SWB TJ, but not an LJ. I wheel fairly hard core (Not KOH stuff, but hard) and I have yet to get hung up on the arms. In fact I do not even rub them. (maybe I just have excellent tire placement tendencies...)

Not being an expert on LA kits, I can at least say Rough Country SUKS!!! I have MC coils that are very soft and overall rides very nice, but have had nothing but headaches with the kit itself! (I bought it that way so not my bad! lol.)
Since I know the MC coils ride nice, I'd be tempted to look at their Kits. But again, I have no first hand knowledge. I have a wheeling friend that just picked up an LJ on the MC LA kit, but have yet to check it out in person.

I have no idea how much difference in price the Savvy vs. other kits would be, but I would check it out.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #25 of 41 Old 02-01-2020, 09:18 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Having owned a long arm suspension prior to my current Currie short arm suspension, there's no way I would ever go back to another long arm suspension. The only thing my previous long arm suspension did better was getting hung up on trail obstacles like the big rocks where I wheel.

The two best suspensions I'm aware of are Currie's and Savvy's. If I had the $$$ I'd upgrade to Savvy's mid-arm suspension but I don't so I'll continue to wheel my TJ with its 4" Currie short arms on some occasionally very tough trails.
numchuck likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #26 of 41 Old 02-02-2020, 06:01 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

People get too hung up on lifts. You're better off at the budget boost, some really good shocks, a tummy tuck, a 1 inch body lift, good tires a locker, a winch, AND CORRECT GEARING then you are with the best Lift money can buy and open diffs with no winch and under geared.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #27 of 41 Old 02-02-2020, 09:04 AM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I'll continue to wheel my TJ with its 4" Currie short arms on some occasionally very tough trails.
i have all currie arms, currie jj housing kit, and currie front track bar, i still run the factory rear track bar with a relocation bracket. re 3.5" springs, 1" body lift, 11" shocks with balanced travel at all 4 corners. where i wheel, i would never need more travel or flex. you and i wheel totally different environments though. nothing has broken, or needed maintenance yet.
its a solid performing kit, hard to beat for the price. plus its bolt on for the most part, so the average guy could install this in his driveway.

i would like a currie rear track bar to match, but i dont see the factory rear tb limiting me much yet.
plus the currie track bar is very pricey!

i did break off one lower front bump stop extension, but its a quick easy fix.
im gonna add some caster, and run smaller bump stops, to eeek out another 1/2" of uptravel.
i will deal with it in the spring. im super happy with my currie parts!
Jerry Bransford likes this.

glfwda #6624
post #28 of 41 Old 02-02-2020, 09:26 AM
JeepingNet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm really like my LJ Rubicon set up right now

3-inch zone coils with a 3/4 spacer upfront
1-inch body lift
5000x Rancho shocks
Adjustable front track bar
Adjustable control arms all around
Anti-rock upfront

Run my 35 MTRs at around 24-26

Only change I plan on doing is removing the spacer in front once I get some new fenders to try and get back more caster.
Jerry Bransford likes this.

Colin Jennings
Trail - 2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon
Daily - 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L
post #29 of 41 Old 02-02-2020, 09:33 AM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingNet View Post
I'm really like my LJ Rubicon set up right now

3-inch zone coils with a 3/4 spacer upfront
1-inch body lift
5000x Rancho shocks
Adjustable front track bar
Adjustable control arms all around
Anti-rock upfront

Run my 35 MTRs at around 24-26

Only change I plan on doing is removing the spacer in front once I get some new fenders to try and get back more caster.
that will all work good, as long as u got the right front track bar.
most dont fit well!

put it on stands, pull the springs and shocks, disconnect the anti rock.
flex it out, watch the track bar to diff cover clearance.

glfwda #6624
post #30 of 41 Old 02-03-2020, 06:28 PM
LJWrangler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Clayton long arm rear and 3-link in the front on my 06 LJ. Super smooth and have not got hung up, I wheel alot at Superstition and Truckhaven in SoCal. I have hit all the trials @Superstition and have had no trouble. 4 in Currie springs with 1.5 spacers in the front and 35's with a 1.25 B/L, TW shafts and a 1.5 mml and 1.5 belly up. Rear coils buckets have been leveled out.

SILVER JEEP CLUB #71

My Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in