2006 LJ - Best suspension kit these days? - JeepForum.com
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 01-29-2020, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
LSTLJ

2006 LJ - Best suspension kit these days?

It's been a few years since I've posted anything on this forum. New baby, job, life, etc. But I still have my same old 2006 LJ Rubicon. Thirteen years ago I installed a Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex lift hit. I went with the stock shorty lower control arms. I'm ready to upgrade the entire suspension. I want to go with a long arm kit with same 3.5" lift. I know Rubicon Express filed for bankruptcy and 4WP bought them. I've been to local 4WP for service and they are not helpful. It seems like everyone there is just punching the time clock waiting to get off. I want a good system. What's everyone out there doing these days? Is a custom lift at a local fabricator the way to go? If so, anyone in Houston you'd recommend?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 01-29-2020, 09:56 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

best kit out there? Savvy mid arm with fox remote resi 11/12" travel shocks.

blows the RE stuff and most other long arm kits out of the water in performance and ride

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 Old 01-29-2020, 10:05 AM
TheBoogieman
Coronavirus survivor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

"BEST" kit depends on what you use your Jeep for. EXPENSIVE SAVVY/CURRIE is a waste of money IMO if you're not hardcore.
p.s. If you think a LA kit is best, you need to update your email from AOL and get rid of that cassette player. (JK'ing) I love my 8 track tape player.
Ross, numchuck, joe_jeep and 2 others like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes. ***SOLD*** for Covid-19 pandemic rent money. :(
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18

post #4 of 41 Old 01-29-2020, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
LSTLJ

Wow, I am behind the times. What's the issue with LA kits?
post #5 of 41 Old 01-29-2020, 10:26 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTLJ View Post
Wow, I am behind the times. What's the issue with LA kits?
if designed correctly they can be very useful. sadly, over 90% of the ones on the market are designed for ease of install, manufacturing costs, and packaging rather than suspension geometry and breakover angle. the result is a jeep that climbs poorly, does a lot of rock humping, tons of squat and dive, etc.

if you know what you're doing with suspension design and fab work you can create a very capable system that doesnt have a lot of drawbacks, thats what savvy has done. they had the time and knowledge to build, test, and rebuild until they got a very high performing setup that has been proven in some of the harshest off-road conditions
LSTLJ likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 41 Old 01-29-2020, 11:16 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
if designed correctly they can be very useful. sadly, over 90% of the ones on the market are designed for ease of install, manufacturing costs, and packaging rather than suspension geometry and breakover angle. the result is a jeep that climbs poorly, does a lot of rock humping, tons of squat and dive, etc.

if you know what you're doing with suspension design and fab work you can create a very capable system that doesnt have a lot of drawbacks, thats what savvy has done. they had the time and knowledge to build, test, and rebuild until they got a very high performing setup that has been proven in some of the harshest off-road conditions
you would love to be a fly on the wall when the LA vs SA comes up, up here. Guys swear by their LA kits on their tjs/ljs. I am basically the only one running SAs on 3-5" lifts. They ALL claim better on road handling, smoother ride, better off road (as the SAs swing the axle, rather than Up/down like a LA)...blah blah. I can follow the same guys with LAs and in most cases, out wheel them in my SAs. My LJ drives like a dream on SAs
joe_jeep and Ironhead like this.

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #7 of 41 Old 01-29-2020, 11:58 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

part of the problem with our hobby, people have too much pride in their decisions so they can't possibly be wrong on a major purchase. that plus the whole "I've been doing it like this for 20+ years" nonsense. correct, you've been doing it wrong for 20+ years
underscore likes this.

post #8 of 41 Old 01-29-2020, 12:30 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
part of the problem with our hobby, people have too much pride in their decisions so they can't possibly be wrong on a major purchase. that plus the whole "I've been doing it like this for 20+ years" nonsense. correct, you've been doing it wrong for 20+ years
pretty much!

The same guys saying this, are the same guys we are winching/pulling off rocks because their LAs got caught on on obstacle. That same obstacle, my SAs never it came close to touching.

post #9 of 41 Old 01-30-2020, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
LSTLJ

Quote:

This all makes sense to me. I looked at the Savvy mid-arm, full suspension system on their website. For $3,800 in parts only, it may be overkill for what I do, but dang it's nice. I just spent for days at Big Bend National Park. My Jeep with its SAs did fine on the rocks (Black Gap Road), but the hours and hours of drive on washboard roads was almost unbearable. Screws holding my air intake system and batter tie downs were vibrated loose, along with other things I still can't find but hear clanging around under the front end. I need a solution. What I have is not it.
post #10 of 41 Old 01-30-2020, 11:16 AM
CrashOdle

1981 CJ7 

Looking forward to KOH next week and all the rigs in just about all the classes running the rocks and bombing the desert with their short arms. SMH. You guys crack me up.

REs LA kit with bad geometry does not equal SA are better the LAs.
Jason805 likes this.

81 CJ7 258 Howell TBI/T999/Dana 300/Dana 44s locked Methods and 35" MTRs

06 LJ on 44s Full Traction LA w/ Kings rolling 17" Racelines and 37" Toyo muds, Genright armor up, under and around

"but babe, it's a safety modification...."
post #11 of 41 Old 01-30-2020, 11:58 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashOdle View Post
Looking forward to KOH next week and all the rigs in just about all the classes running the rocks and bombing the desert with their short arms. SMH. You guys crack me up.

no one said all long arm setups are garbage, just most of them. hahaha

many bolt on kits have been put into the 4 link calculators to show how poorly designed they are.

post #12 of 41 Old 01-30-2020, 12:39 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTLJ View Post
My Jeep with its SAs did fine on the rocks (Black Gap Road), but the hours and hours of drive on washboard roads was almost unbearable.
You need different shocks and to possibly revisit your offroad tire pressure setting.
TJnBC, Ironhead and underscore like this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #13 of 41 Old 01-30-2020, 12:42 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
You need different shocks and to possibly revisit your offroad tire pressure setting.
I agree with this statment...

Although some buddies up here swear the ride on washboards is night and day difference between a SA vs LA,

post #14 of 41 Old 01-30-2020, 12:59 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

jeep-coilover-suspension-two-7-5-2016-1779.jpg

...hangs head in shame.
Ironhead likes this.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #15 of 41 Old 01-30-2020, 01:51 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashOdle View Post

KOH rig with long arms does not equal long arms are better than short arms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in