2006 Jeep Wrangler Transfer Case - Removal/Replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 12-02-2014, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
chadwick1875
2006 LJ Wrangler 

2006 Jeep Wrangler Transfer Case - Removal/Replacement

Hi,

I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (not Rubicon) where the transfer case broke and needs to be replaced as reviewed by an auto repair shop. I would like to try to replace this with my son. This will be my sons vehicle in a year when he turns 16 so he needs to earn it by fixing it.

FIRST, I need to purchase a transfer case to replace. How do I know the part number or model of the transfer case I have? Where is the best place to find a replacement... get new or used?

SECOND, I need to understand how to replace the transfer case. I have been looking for pictures or steps on how to do this on the forum but haven't been successful yet. If you know of a site that shows this please let me know.

LASTLY, I need to understand what all parts should be replaced when putting a new transfer case in.

I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks,

Chad Blondeel
Cheers

chadwick1875
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-02-2014, 10:26 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

All TJs, except Rubis, use a NV231 transfer case, see below. Check around local salvage yards, classifieds, etc, and find one out of another TJ. You can also check with, daveysjeeps.com, look under parts specials and/or call them

But first, what's wrong with the one you have?

Transfer Case info from stock specs.

NV231 Command-Trac - 1997-2006
* Used on all TJs except Rubicon models
* 2.72:1 Low range
* Slip yoke
* Gear driven speedometer signal

NV241 Rock-Trac - 2003-2006
* Standard transfer case used on all Rubicon model TJs.
* 4:1 Low range
* Fixed yoke
* Electronic speedometer signal

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #3 of 21 Old 12-02-2014, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
chadwick1875
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info 2jhanna. Well, the transfer case gears inside are all shredded and the case itself broke. If you try to drive the vehicle there is a lot of grinding from the transfer case. I was driving on the highway and there was a lot of vibration and then a big bang. Now there is a hole in the transfer case from the gears inside exploding or something and it is trashed. An auto repair shop looked at it and quoted me a new transfer case saying this one is toast. I have not removed it yet and that is the next step that I need help with. Trying to understand what I need before I dig into it.

Thanks for the help!

chadwick1875

post #4 of 21 Old 12-02-2014, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
chadwick1875
2006 LJ Wrangler 

BTW - When I search on-line there are NV231 and NP231 transfer cases... are these the same?

NV stands for New Venture and NP stand for New process from what I am reading... Can I use either one?

I am going to take a few pictures of the damage on the transfer case that is on the Jeep still to show later today...

chadwick1875
post #5 of 21 Old 12-02-2014, 11:07 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwick1875 View Post
BTW - When I search on-line there are NV231 and NP231 transfer cases... are these the same?

NV stands for New Venture and NP stand for New process from what I am reading... Can I use either one?

I am going to take a few pictures of the damage on the transfer case that is on the Jeep still to show later today...
They are the same thing. New Process was Chrysler's gear division. New Venture was a Chrysler/GM joint venture.

One thing that wasn't mentioned is that the input shaft can vary in length and spline count. IIRC Novak has a good table in their tech section showing which input shaft mates with which transmission. You'll either need to find a replacement case that is the same as yours or transfer over the input shaft.

As to removal, its pretty easy. Disconnect driveshafts. Disconnect shift linkage. Disconnect breather and sensor wire. Unbolt from the transmission.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-02-2014, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
chadwick1875
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
IIRC Novak has a good table in their tech section showing which input shaft mates with which transmission. You'll either need to find a replacement case that is the same as yours or transfer over the input shaft.
What is IIRC Novak? Did a search for that online and not really anything came up for transfer case?

Also, it is an Automatic Transmission if I didn't mention.

chadwick1875
post #7 of 21 Old 12-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Grunt77
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It's an easy process to swap them out. The snap rings are by far the biggest PITA in the whole process. Look on Craigslist or a salvage yard. I think I picked up one for around $400.

"Never underestimate the predictibility of stupidity"

RIP SSG Brad King. KIA April 2, 2007
post #8 of 21 Old 12-02-2014, 11:27 AM
iLLogic05TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What is IIRC Novak? Did a search for that online and not really anything came up for transfer case?

Also, it is an Automatic Transmission if I didn't mention.
Search for "Novak" They have an excellent tech section.

IIRC = if I remember correctly.

Removal of the Tcase is not that difficult, like mentioned above, driveshafts, shifter linkage, breather and electrical connections.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-02-2014, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
chadwick1875
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLogic05TJ View Post

IIRC = if I remember correctly.
Wow, I missed that one... over my head...

Thanks for the info... I will check on it...

chadwick1875
post #10 of 21 Old 12-02-2014, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
chadwick1875
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Does it matter if my 2006 Jeep is the Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) model versus the (TJ) model?

chadwick1875
post #11 of 21 Old 12-02-2014, 11:55 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt77 View Post
It's an easy process to swap them out. The snap rings are by far the biggest PITA in the whole process. Look on Craigslist or a salvage yard. I think I picked up one for around $400.
If just swapping one case for another what snap rings are involved?
post #12 of 21 Old 12-02-2014, 11:56 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Does it matter if my 2006 Jeep is the Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) model versus the (TJ) model?
No
post #13 of 21 Old 12-02-2014, 11:56 AM
rchase559

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nope.

As mentioned early, the input shaft will differ in length and spline count depending on what transmission it's behind. That will be the only difference between any NP231 found in a TJ or LJ.
post #14 of 21 Old 12-02-2014, 02:42 PM
ops5

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the info 2jhanna. Well, the transfer case gears inside are all shredded and the case itself broke. If you try to drive the vehicle there is a lot of grinding from the transfer case. I was driving on the highway and there was a lot of vibration and then a big bang. Now there is a hole in the transfer case from the gears inside exploding or something and it is trashed. An auto repair shop looked at it and quoted me a new transfer case saying this one is toast. I have not removed it yet and that is the next step that I need help with. Trying to understand what I need before I dig into it.

Thanks for the help!
I didn't see anyone mentioned it here, but if you don't know why the case broke exactly, was your front driveshaft making any noise? Not saying that's the reason, but if you put in a new tc you could end up exploding the new one too
post #15 of 21 Old 12-02-2014, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
chadwick1875
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ops5 View Post
I didn't see anyone mentioned it here, but if you don't know why the case broke exactly, was your front driveshaft making any noise? Not saying that's the reason, but if you put in a new tc you could end up exploding the new one too
Yes, I have had previous issue with the front drive shaft and I failed to mention this is the second transfer case that I replaced on this Jeep. The other one I had a shop replace it with a used one as the old one exploded as well... same thing on the highway... not sure if there is more of an underlying problem or not...

chadwick1875

Tags
t-case , transfer case , unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in