2005 TJ Motor in a 1999 Sport? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
RufusT77

2005 TJ Motor in a 1999 Sport?

I have a 1999 TJ Sport with a bad motor.. I blew it a couple years ago and it has sat in my shop waiting for me to figure out what I was going to do with it, have the money and ultimately, the time, to get it back on the road.

Well, I found a great deal on a low mileage 4.0 with just about all of the accessories out of a 2005 TJ that had been wrecked. The guy even gave me a tote full of wiring harnesses and other components, in order to make it where I should be able to swap out the 1999 stuff for the 2005 stuff and get back on the road.

I'm at the beginning of the planning stage, but wanted to ask what considerations you guys would have ahead of actually getting the work going? It looks like the 2005 had an automatic, while I have a standard - is that going to be an issue? I recognize this is going to have a lot of work to do, but want to have as much research done, so I know what to expect as far as differences.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 07:27 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusT77 View Post
I have a 1999 TJ Sport with a bad motor.. I blew it a couple years ago and it has sat in my shop waiting for me to figure out what I was going to do with it, have the money and ultimately, the time, to get it back on the road.

Well, I found a great deal on a low mileage 4.0 with just about all of the accessories out of a 2005 TJ that had been wrecked. The guy even gave me a tote full of wiring harnesses and other components, in order to make it where I should be able to swap out the 1999 stuff for the 2005 stuff and get back on the road.

I'm at the beginning of the planning stage, but wanted to ask what considerations you guys would have ahead of actually getting the work going? It looks like the 2005 had an automatic, while I have a standard - is that going to be an issue? I recognize this is going to have a lot of work to do, but want to have as much research done, so I know what to expect as far as differences.
Screem module from the one you get the engine controller from along with the key so you don't have to play any games trying to get around the security.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #3 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 07:48 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Save yourself a lot of headache and just swap all the '99 engine's electronics over to the '05 engine. Your original flywheel will need to be swapped over and should easily bolt right up to the replacement engine.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

post #4 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
RufusT77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Save yourself a lot of headache and just swap all the '99 engine's electronics over to the '05 engine. Your original flywheel will need to be swapped over and should easily bolt right up to the replacement engine.
Forgive my ignorance on this... The 1999 has a distributor, while the 2005 is electronic with coil on plug... Can the distributor from the 1999 be installed into the 2005?

It makes sense that keeping all the other components would be easier... that is why I am asking -- to be sure I have an appropriate game plan.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 08:13 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance on this... The 1999 has a distributor, while the 2005 is electronic with coil on plug... Can the distributor from the 1999 be installed into the 2005?

It makes sense that keeping all the other components would be easier... that is why I am asking -- to be sure I have an appropriate game plan.
No. The drivers in the ecu are setup for the coil packs. You need it all.

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #6 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 10:27 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The distributor from your '99 will drop right into the spot for the OPDA on the '05 block, you'll just need to verify you have the engine at #1 TDC and position the rotor appropriately.

The '05 engine long block doesn't care one whit as to whether you use coil on plug or distributor ignition, but your '99 PCM won't work with the '05 engine harness and sensors and the '05 PCM won't work with the rest of the Jeep without reworking harnesses and replacing your instrument cluster with a later unit. It's also not a simple task of just plugging in the '05 harnesses you may have been given as the design of many of the connectors changed in '05.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #7 of 9 Old 06-17-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
RufusT77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
The distributor from your '99 will drop right into the spot for the OPDA on the '05 block, you'll just need to verify you have the engine at #1 TDC and position the rotor appropriately.

The '05 engine long block doesn't care one whit as to whether you use coil on plug or distributor ignition, but your '99 PCM won't work with the '05 engine harness and sensors and the '05 PCM won't work with the rest of the Jeep without reworking harnesses and replacing your instrument cluster with a later unit. It's also not a simple task of just plugging in the '05 harnesses you may have been given as the design of many of the connectors changed in '05.
This is excellent news. It definitely will make things easier!

Thanks guys!
post #8 of 9 Old 06-17-2019, 08:13 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The engine doesn't but what computer you use does. If you stay 99 with the controller you're good. Mix and match is difficult at best with the electrical.

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #9 of 9 Old 06-18-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
RufusT77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
The engine doesn't but what computer you use does. If you stay 99 with the controller you're good. Mix and match is difficult at best with the electrical.

Given the information in this thread, I'll be sticking with all original 1999 parts and just moving those over to the 2005 block. That said, I may hunt down the connector on the harness for the transmission off that 2005, as the NV3550 I have had a different connector than my AX15 -- so I don't have reverse lights right now... May be able to fix that...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in