2005 TJ few issues (Code P-2096 & Front End Clicking When Stopping) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-14-2016, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
_sleek_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

2005 TJ few issues (Code P-2096 & Front End Clicking When Stopping)

Whats up guys,

Been a while since I have been on the forum and I forgot my login so had to create a new account. Before I get to the issues I am having, I provided my jeep specs below because I know people will ask.... I have 2005 Jeep wrangler TJ rocky mountain edition with 6-speed and 95,000 miles. The jeep is completely stock pretty much and has been well taken care of with all appropriate maintenance (differential fluid, transfer case / transmission fluid, brake fluid, radiator fluid, brakes pads & rotors, the typical stuff, etc.) always done since purchase date according to what the manual recommends. The jeep has not been abused and its rarely off-roaded hard anymore (Since I graduated College). I have had to replace the common stuff that wears out (some axle seals, rear oil pan seal, brakes, and tie rod ends) but other than that it's mostly a daily driver nowadays and so far has been really reliable.

Anyhow I am having two issues which I am really hoping you guys can shed some light on for me...

1. Check Engine Light - Checked code = P 2096 I understand this is a fairly common code that equivalates to "Post catalyst fuel trim system to lean bank-1" or essentially an improper fuel / oxygen mixture reading from the O2 sensors. I have read that on "California jeeps" (3 catalytic converters) which I have, that the check engine light can come on around 90,000-100,000 just as a friendly reminder that its time to change the O2 sensors and that if your sensors are in good shape you can just reprogram the computer to "reset" and to not show the code anymore. I am not sure if this is true or not but I did notice the check engine light came on exactly when my jeep turned over 95,000 miles so it may be true or coincidence. I have also read that during long drive periods "high-heat" that it can make the check engine light trip sometimes, which is also a coincidence because it occurred on my way back from a 3 hour drive after months of short distance driving around home. Anyhow, regardless I would like to figure out what you guys recommend to do. I definitely want to get the light to go away as its annoying while driving, but I don't feel like replacing anything unless its truly worn out. I read that its common to replace the 2 downstream sensors with NTK/NGK ones and the light will usually go away as it is common for the O2 sensors to age at around 100,000 miles. I have no problem replacing the sensors as they are fairly cheap but I am worried because I have also read that guys replace all 4 sensors and the light will still stay on. HOW DO I FIGURE OUT WHICH SENSORS ARE BAD (IF THEY EVEN ARE BAD) AND WHICH ONES TO REPLACE? I really don't want to take it to the STEALERSHIP as they are clueless and will just want me to replace stuff regardless even though nothing might actually be wrong and I can just reset the computer. What are you guys doing? I should note that I did inspect the downstream exhaust (manifold, cats, pipes, muffler, etc) for tightness, cracks, and leaks and everything appeared okay and really tight and in good shape. Every now and then I hear a rattle when pressing the gas in too high of a gear (bog down) that sounds like a marble in a tin can from my downstream exhaust which I think is a piece of metal weld that broke off in the muffler or cat but I am not sure. Would this have any effect on the code my jeep is showing?

2. Faint Knocking / Clicking When Coming To Stop So my second problem consists of a faint knocking (more of a clicking) that can be heard and slightly felt when coming to stop from the front end of the jeep. It only occurs when the brake is pressed (does not do it when just coasting) and only happens at very slow speeds right before I stop. It almost seems as it happens when the jeep shifts forward from braking and the front end is loaded and the clicking is almost in sync with each rotation of the wheel. This leads me to believe it is a suspension or braking component as driveshaft / drive-train should be unaffected by braking and occur all the time right? I have read a few things and guys say to check break caliper pins or pad alignment, tie rod ends, lose lug nuts, driveshafts U-joints for play, wheel bearings, differential fluid levels, sway bar bolts, and suspension bushings for wear, etc. I just replaced my front breaks (new rotors, pads, caliper pins, caliper pins, the whole works, etc) this last weekend and I greased the caliper pins and torqued them to around 12 ft-lbs (Which I believe is recommended). Everything seems great, the jeep brakes straight and true, is very quiet, and there are no other issues other than this clicking noise right before I come to a stop. I also torqued my lugs to 90 ft-lbs (Which I believe is recommended) so I want to be confident that its not my brakes and not my wheels. My front differential fluid is filled and was just changed about 10,000 miles ago. The tie-rods were changed out about 1-2 years ago as well but although they were replaced with what I thought to be a very very cheap OEM replacement as it was the only one I could find local at the time and was in a pinch due to having to replace it in January during a snow storm. What do you guys think this could be? I did notice that when taking the rotors off, I rotated my front axle and it seemed like it almost clicked or had a little bit of play with each rotation. Is this normal? Could it be a front axle component? Where do you guys recommend looking? I plan on checking everything out when I get home from work tonight.

I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR GUYS ADVICE AND THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

2005 JEEP WANGLER TJ ROCKY MOUNTAIN EDITION
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-14-2016, 11:56 AM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Error codes P2096 & P2098 There is a TSB on that code for a ECM Reflash

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/cant...is-115173.html

Post 17 here

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/p2...-i-fix-965577/
post #3 of 6 Old 09-14-2016, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
_sleek_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info! Anybody know whats up with the clicking sound?

2005 JEEP WANGLER TJ ROCKY MOUNTAIN EDITION

post #4 of 6 Old 09-14-2016, 02:53 PM
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _sleek_ View Post
Thanks for the info! Anybody know whats up with the clicking sound?
Check ujoints. If you feel it coming to a stop it's likely a ujoint. And give EVERYTHING on the front end with any kind of joint a good hard wiggle in all directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Being right has nothing to do with arrogance. It's only perceived that way by those that are wrong.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-14-2016, 05:46 PM
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Code P2096:

I concur on the manifold to mini-catalytic converter bolts being loose as a possible cause.

Clicking/knocking under braking:

U-joints are a possibility.

BUT:

Check the knuckle for divots in the slide where the brake pads ride.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #667
post #6 of 6 Old 09-14-2016, 08:20 PM
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnmadn88 View Post
Code P2096:

I concur on the manifold to mini-catalytic converter bolts being loose as a possible cause.

Clicking/knocking under braking:

U-joints are a possibility.

BUT:

Check the knuckle for divots in the slide where the brake pads ride.
Never heard of those divots causing any noises. Just uneven pad wear and poor braking performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Being right has nothing to do with arrogance. It's only perceived that way by those that are wrong.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.

Tags
brakes , clicking , code , knocking , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in