2005 Evaporator gone bad $1400 bill? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
mcrn

2005 Evaporator gone bad $1400 bill?

Hi and thanks in advance. My parents just took their 2005 unlimited to the stealership and was told that the evaporator was bad and that its a $1400 bill. 8 hours of labor. So my question is is this a common problem? If it is, is there a better after market part so that this does not happen again in 5 years? Thanks!

Last edited by mcrn; 08-07-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 11:21 AM
billj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had to replace mine, although a local shop did it for about $700 and replaced the heater core while they were in there. The dashboard has to be removed to access it, hence the big labor bill. My problem was debris got it through the cowl vents and caused corrosion. So don't park under the trees!
post #3 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Sundowner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

That sounds high. I'm sure with the dash removal, the time on the job is higher...but $1400 is steep, in my opinion. I'd like to see the breakdown of their estimates, and see how much they're marking up for the part, and how much they charge for labor.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 11:40 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrn View Post
Hi and thanks in advance. My parents just took their 2005 unlimited to the stealership and was told that the evaporator was bad and that its a $1400 bill. 8 hours of labor. So my question is is this a common problem? It if is is there a better after market part so that this does not happen again in 5 years? Thanks!
It's not a common problem and $1400 is NUTZ! Even with the labor of removing the dash,which is a pain.$80 an hour and 8 hours total max.The part isn't that high.To me $800 would be over charging.That's why I try to do everything myself.Nothing you can do about the charges if you can't do it yourself.STEALERSHIP's are called that for a reason.High overhead to pay for.I'd like to know the symtoms that led to the conclusion by the Stealership.Jeep stuff is usually simple and dealers rip everyone off.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Sundowner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Boogieman makes a good point. What's wrong with the Jeep, symptom-wise?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Warren
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Consider doing it yourself...

I installed a complete A/C system in my 1999 SE from Jeep air conditioning components and complete A/C kits for all Jeeps

It isn't too difficult!

-- Warren in San Diego
post #7 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
mcrn

Thanks guys. My parents are not letting them fix it. They wanted to find out where it was leaking from. A friend of ours can do the work for a whole lot cheaper. He just could not find the leak because my parents would not take the Jeep back to him fast enough for him to see the dye he put in. So he said go have someone diagnose it and he will fix it. Out of curiosity I called a local A/C place and they gave a quote over the phone of $765. Much better! I still would like to know though if this is going to be an ongoing problem for them? We live in Florida so being without A/C is not an option. They are older and retired so not many miles get put on but still its over 100 degrees with the heat index and very very humid.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
mcrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Boogieman makes a good point. What's wrong with the Jeep, symptom-wise?
Leaks freon completely within 3 to 4 days.
post #9 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Bedore
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrn View Post
Leaks freon completely within 3 to 4 days.
Thats a pretty good leak. First thing they need to do is take it in and find out where it's leaking from. If it's the evaporator, then it will be an expensive fix as the dash has to come out. If it's not it can probably be fixed relatively cheap. If they can afford it, have the system evacuated and charged correctly. Since your in Florida it's especially important. Up where im from, not so much.

Good luck.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Sundowner

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If there's UV dye in it, you could try and find it with a blacklight. I'd see about renting a leak detector, personally. Hell, you could probably buy one for less than the repair price...

post #11 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 12:08 PM
wtroger
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not to uncommon a problem for the jeeps with air the evaps do not drain water well and then you get a bit of trash / road debris and they corrode and start leaking. It is not a hard job just a tedious one and plus you need the equipment to vacuum out the system and recharge. If by chance it corroded from the inside out which can happen since the oil used in r134a sysytem cannot tolerate any moisture then you have more issues to contend with I would at least replace the receiver/drier ,and pull a deep vacuum for an extended period of time to remove internal moisture, just for insurance.
post #12 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 12:53 PM
billj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

At the time I did mine it was 10 years old, and the mechanic could not find the leak even with the UV dye because of the location of the evaporator, so he figured that was where the problem was...and that is where it was. It is an honest shop, my employer had been doing business with them for years.
post #13 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Warren
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtroger View Post
Not to uncommon a problem for the jeeps with air the evaps do not drain water well and then you get a bit of trash / road debris and they corrode and start leaking. It is not a hard job just a tedious one and plus you need the equipment to vacuum out the system and recharge. If by chance it corroded from the inside out which can happen since the oil used in r134a sysytem cannot tolerate any moisture then you have more issues to contend with I would at least replace the receiver/drier ,and pull a deep vacuum for an extended period of time to remove internal moisture, just for insurance.
The evaporator is in the dash, the condenser is in front of the radiator...

-- Warren in San Diego
post #14 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 07:21 PM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

An entire system - ALL of it, every part and wire, costs under $1000.
Dealerships should be avoided unless its warranty.

If you just cannot work on it yourself - at least find a fellow jeeper with tools (an unemployed one would be good!) and pay him to work on it for you. Don't feed the stealership machine...

Many years ago a dealer quoted me $1300 to repair my transmission.
With only a couple hours searching I found a used one from a wreck with only 20k miles on it for $400 locally, and a brand new one for $750 shipped to my house!
I went used, installed it myself, and with the savings bought an AC kit.
Then - I sold my old trans to a guy who repaired it himself with $200 worth of parts...
There is always a way to git er done.

|
|
post #15 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 07:32 PM
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Is this the same jeep from the thread on BITOG?

Anyway the job calls for like 5.3 hrs and any shop is going to bump that up to atleast 6 hrs.

The whole job with a new aftermarket evap, dryer and recharge would be $1000 if I did it where I work.

I get 250 ish for the evap. I'm sure the dealer one will be near 500.

Tags
evaporator , bad , lj , wrangler , unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in