2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 310 - JeepForum.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #4636 of 5561 Old 08-16-2013, 08:32 PM
mgclark6

.oh and for anyone looking for the OPDA gasket, its the same as any 4.0/4.2 distributer gasket.....my O'reileys couldnt find it under '05 jeep wrangler.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4637 of 5561 Old 08-21-2013, 06:06 PM
tjwoo

2006 TJ Wrangler 

First that I'm seeing this thread unfortunately. I haven't the tools to do the FOGmod, and I just ordered a new OPDA. Anyone willing to do mod my OPDA? I'll pay for shipping, parts and labor. Thanks
post #4638 of 5561 Old 08-22-2013, 07:08 PM
tdp3925
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoo View Post
First that I'm seeing this thread unfortunately. I haven't the tools to do the FOGmod, and I just ordered a new OPDA. Anyone willing to do mod my OPDA? I'll pay for shipping, parts and labor. Thanks
Try to get Big Bob to do the Stripperguy mod, It's is a great fix and Big Bob
installed it in mine and it has been great.

post #4639 of 5561 Old 08-27-2013, 05:01 PM
czechsky
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TJRKYMTN View Post
psouza1943,

I am currently using the OEM supplied Camshaft position sensor in the Dorman OPDA. I used a feeler gauge, and the old and new sensors are .024" from the reluctor wheel on the Dorman(I didn't check on the OEM OPDA). It feels like there is alot of axial slop in the Dorman OPDA(I didn't pay attention when I was removing the OEM OPDA to compare). I already talked to RockAuto, and they said out of the 100+ orders they had, no complaints, besides one that was returned because the person didn't want it anymore.

I drove it some with the old Camshaft position sensor in the Dorman OPDA(no codes yet, normal performance), I'd like to get some more miles onto it to determine that the Dorman OPDA is the issue...

I also thought the general consensus is the Dorman OPDA is superior, besides the Camshaft sensor issues people have been having?
In the same boat on this. This is the third unit and I have the OEM and an oil bath modded unit on standby. Guess I will use the OEM sensor for the swap. Can Someone tell me what swapping out the sensor entails?
I plan to align back to TDC of course before changing. The question is, does it just slide through the side of the unit? and is there some specific torque that those bolts need to be set to?
I had to ask Big Bob to upload a video on the TDC setting procedure many moons ago- if there is a vid for this please let me know.
post #4640 of 5561 Old 08-27-2013, 06:43 PM
DrewInDenver
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just replaced mine and I didn't do any of the mods but I bought a Dorman. I didn't swap out the sensor and its working fine. Although I have the old one just in case.
Oh and after I got done it wouldn't start. I had to disconnect the battery for awhile and then it worked. Thought I was going to have get towed to the stealership, whew.

I have over 100K miles now so I figure I will just check it when I do maintenance. The cam is worn but still doing fine, hopefully implosion is not imminent.
post #4641 of 5561 Old 08-27-2013, 06:44 PM
my996duc1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

any way to tell (by looking at it) if mine has been replaced by a previous owner ?

_

2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #0090 / MetalCloak'd / Currie 4" Lift with AntiRock / 35x12.50 GoodYear Kevlars / UCF skids

My build : http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/rubicon-sahara-build-chronicles-328649.html
post #4642 of 5561 Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 PM
czechsky
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Drew in Denver-

I perhaps should have expanded on the post I was referencing. I too have installed the Dorman and have only logged a couple thousand miles on it when just recently I am throwing the same code. Thanks for the unit replacement link but I have already been through that several times. I was hoping somebody has some tips on swapping the sensor only. I hope your Dorman lasts a lifetime- mine may just be a crapper.
post #4643 of 5561 Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

In the video above you can see the 1 black bolt (8 or 10mm wrench size as I recall) that holds the sensor in. Remove it & pull the sensor straight out. You may have to give in a little twist since I think there is an O ring sealing it to the housing. That & the connector & that’s it.
post #4644 of 5561 Old 08-28-2013, 07:46 PM
czechsky
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Rubi4MyMrs. I hope to give this a try tonight.
post #4645 of 5561 Old 08-28-2013, 10:46 PM
czechsky
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Swapping camshaft Position Sensor Only...

Easy as 1-2-3 per the 2005 TJ Service Manual
Formerly left out on sticky note posting at beginning of this thread for obvious reasons...

REMOVAL - 4.0L
The Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) on the 4.0L
6–cylinder engine (2) is bolted to the side of the oil
pump drive shaft housing assembly (5) (Fig. 13).
NOTE: Do not attempt to rotate the oil pump drive
assembly to modify ignition timing.
Two different procedures are used for removal
and installation. The first procedure will detail
removal and installation of the sensor only. The second
procedure will detail removal and installation of
the sensor and oil pump drive shaft assembly. The
second procedure is to be used if the engine has been
disassembled.
CMP SENSOR ONLY - 4.0L
(1) Disconnect CMP electrical jumper harness (3)
at engine wiring harness (Fig. 14).
(2) Remove sensor mounting bolt (3) (Fig. 15).
(3) Remove sensor (2) from oil pump drive housing
(1) (Fig. 15).
INSTALLATION - 4.0L
SENSOR ONLY - 4.0L
(1) Install sensor (2) (Fig. 18) to oil pump drive
housing (1).
(2) Install sensor mounting bolt (3) (Fig. 18) and
tighten to 2 Nm (15 in. lbs.) torque.
(3) Connect CMP electrical jumper harness (3)
(Fig. 19) to engine wiring harness.

This does not mention any need to reset computer or anything else and being the technical layman that I am, I was expecting a more complicated procedure. Anybody else running their OEM CMP in a Dorman unit after throwing code P0034 once their Dorman got some miles on it?
post #4646 of 5561 Old 09-17-2013, 09:59 AM
OverlandZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytex View Post
I'm about to install the SG mod on a new OPDA before a cross country drive. Looking for feedback from others using this modification. Any issues? Thanks.

Hey Guys.. quoted my best bud on this post. He has an 06 LJ Rubi with very low mileage, then we found out about this issue.

It's an Overland type rig build and will be doing cross country trips often, we followed input in this thread and bought a new Mopar OPDA and the SG mod. My bud started the SG mod and I stopped in this past Saturday to assist in completing it.. then I noticed this. Would you use it, or would be buying another Mopar unit be advisable?

It is not cracked through to the bottom and the SG mod screws for the upper bearing do not fall on a crack.. i'm only really concerned with the bearing area cracking through with use. We figure either it happened tapping the bearings in or it came this way from the box.

His plan was to complete the mod and carry the new OPDA along on his trip, bit short on time to install it and have it set correctly at the local dealer.

post #4647 of 5561 Old 09-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
Hey Guys.. quoted my best bud on this post. He has an 06 LJ Rubi with very low mileage, then we found out about this issue.

It's an Overland type rig build and will be doing cross country trips often, we followed input in this thread and bought a new Mopar OPDA and the SG mod. My bud started the SG mod and I stopped in this past Saturday to assist in completing it.. then I noticed this. Would you use it, or would be buying another Mopar unit be advisable?

It is not cracked through to the bottom and the SG mod screws for the upper bearing do not fall on a crack.. i'm only really concerned with the bearing area cracking through with use. We figure either it happened tapping the bearings in or it came this way from the box.

His plan was to complete the mod and carry the new OPDA along on his trip, bit short on time to install it and have it set correctly at the local dealer.

More than likely this happened when he removed the bushings. If you don't support the housing correctly this can happen. You can't use the floor of the housing as support to hammer or press on the thing. My original OPDA, (which is still in my Jeep) has been removed and disassembled multiple times and I ended up cracking it. I seriously doubt it'd be an issue for him. If convenient, I'd vee out the cracks a little from the outside of the housing and sand down/ruff up the area and put some JB Weld in there. Also, if his SG Mod bearing holder fits real tight, (as most do) into the housing bore he will want to clearance that a bit as well so it fits in loose. On all the units I have built I make it so the bearing housing actually has a bit of a giggle/wiggle in the way it fits. This can compensate for any housing misalignment.

2006 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
post #4648 of 5561 Old 09-18-2013, 11:11 AM
OverlandZJ
1994 ZJ 

Thanks BigBob.. completed the assembly this am. All feels good and the shaft rotates easily.

StripperGuy.. thank you for the effort on this modification, much appreciated.
post #4649 of 5561 Old 09-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
Just a note: This pic is a excellent example of the factory imprints on the floor of the housing. I suggest these get ground off for the SG Modification as that bearing holder hits them and may not sit flat. Interesting enough, not all OPDA's have these imprints. I always grind them down.

2006 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
post #4650 of 5561 Old 09-23-2013, 12:06 PM
jeepn012

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Has anyone else still had the monkeys laugh at you after the stripperguy mod.

After the mod, the shaft spun easily, but I wouldn't say, freely.

I'm thinking I may have the bearings in a bind or something. I had moderate wear on the gear, and I did not replace my cam.

BigBob? Stripperguy?

1990 YJ - 96 to 03 My first. She will be missed.
2004 TJ - 03 to 11. Old Faithful. I will have another TJ one day.
2007 JKU - SOLD
2005 LJ - In the mail, hope I like it. Everybody's doin it, here is the build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in