2Likes
  • 1 Post By lazermule
  • 1 Post By mukluk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-24-2021, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
lazermule
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2004 TJ Rubicon Heat Stuck on

Did some searches and couldn't find any related problems to my type of HVAC control. Saw a couple of other threads where folks has issues with jammed levers and such, but my 2004 doesn't have levers for control, it has knobs.

What is happing, is that although the temp control knob turns, it just blows hot (heated) air. The A/C is working fine, just not getting the cool air into the cab. Is there a common occurance to look for here? Interestingly enough, the blower motor only worked on high a while back (pointing toward a bad resister module), but has since started working on all settings.

As far as I know, I don't have any vacuum leaks, but I will investigate that a bit closer. The engine seems to be running/idling smoothly as it wouldn't had there been a vacuum leak.

Thanks in advance for a probable place to start, or if anyone has had similar issues.

LM

LM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-24-2021, 12:11 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The air temperature is controlled via the blend door, which is positioned by an electric stepper motor called the blend door actuator on TJs with rotary knob controls. With the ignition switched on, observe the blend door actuator located as shown below in the passenger footwell -- does the actuator move/respond when you rotate the temperature control knob back and forth? You should see the slotted shaft passing through the middle of the actuator move as the knob is rotated. If it does move, then the blend door is likely broken; if it doesn't move, further troubleshooting of the actuator and wiring is needed.
Attached Images

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 11 Old 05-24-2021, 12:30 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The blend door which controls the temp setting in electric since 1999. As you turn the knob the blend door motor is supposed to move the door. It is probably stuck. The motor is under the dash more or less in the center.

Here is a link with good info & photos.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/h...repair-464741/

Edit: mukluk, you are too quick.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-24-2021, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
lazermule
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies guys, I ordered a new actuator for good measure. I had a Rock Auto order anyway and it was coming from the same warehouse and was less than $15.

LM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-24-2021, 03:17 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure if it applies here, but pull the knob off and look at the "D" shaped hub on the backside. Sometimes the hub splits and doesn't rotate the shaft.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #6 of 11 Old 05-24-2021, 05:28 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
Not sure if it applies here, but pull the knob off and look at the "D" shaped hub on the backside. Sometimes the hub splits and doesn't rotate the shaft.
I just fixed that issue on mine. It's my 5th Jeep that had it crack.
Attached Thumbnails
AC Heat knob.jpg   AC knob.jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
2003' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks/ Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-25-2021, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
lazermule
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I just fixed that issue on mine. It's my 5th Jeep that had it crack.
I will certainly look at this, thanks for the tip. The knob does currently rotate (seems to rotate very freely) and stop at approximately the 8 o'clock and 5 o'clock positions but I guess that could still be an issue.

LM
TheBoogieman likes this.

LM

post #8 of 11 Old 05-25-2021, 02:57 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

It takes all of about five minutes to visually check the operation of the actuator and control panel knob, not sure why folks like to buy parts before figuring out what's wrong.
TheBoogieman likes this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #9 of 11 Old 05-26-2021, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
lazermule
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
It takes all of about five minutes to visually check the operation of the actuator and control panel knob, not sure why folks like to buy parts before figuring out what's wrong.
I guess I just like to spend like a Rockefeller..

LM

post #10 of 11 Old 05-27-2021, 05:00 AM
PDoyle

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Rockefeller... Showing your age there. It's gotta be Bezos now.

2003 X, 5 speed, FT/RR bumpers by Eddie Reighard. JKS 1" body lift, JKS disco's, 2 1/2" Rough Country lift, 8k Warn, w/class 3 receiver FT & RR hitch. GA 8 rims riding 33's- GY Kevlar.
SOLD- 1985 CJ7 soft top , fiberglass body, 5" total lift258-6- Howell TBI, Full Roll cage.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-27-2021, 06:03 AM
PDoyle

2003 TJ Wrangler 

lol.

2003 X, 5 speed, FT/RR bumpers by Eddie Reighard. JKS 1" body lift, JKS disco's, 2 1/2" Rough Country lift, 8k Warn, w/class 3 receiver FT & RR hitch. GA 8 rims riding 33's- GY Kevlar.
SOLD- 1985 CJ7 soft top , fiberglass body, 5" total lift258-6- Howell TBI, Full Roll cage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in