2004 TJ PCM/ECM code P0605 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-17-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Softopper

2004 TJ PCM/ECM code P0605

I just bought a used jeep, and have been going through this nightmare recently. I have a 2004 TJ 4.0 liter automatic transmission, it has been driving around in second gear, after about 20-30mph the rpm will go over 2000 and up. A buddy of mine plugged in his reader and found the error code P0605, a bad powertrain control. So after that I bought an ECM programmed with my VIN# and it seems like nothing changed. Wondering if anyone has dealt with this before or might know what's happening. It looks like the previous owner probably went mudding, as it's pretty dirty around the engine pretty high up. Would it be a wiring issue, or the TCM (separate, behind the washer fluid)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-17-2018, 02:35 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd have replaced the TCM by now, it definitely sounds more TCM related than PCM. It wouldn't hurt to reseat all the connections at the TCM, PCM, and perhaps even on the top of the transmission which isn't real easy to get to. I had a problem with my '04 automatic last year but it was a different code (P0755) that required me to get inside the transmission and replace a couple modules.

And a big welcome to JF, keep us posted on this problem.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-17-2018, 03:21 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

replaced PCM and - code p0605 is current?

Can your friends scanner read ALL codes, wondering if trans codes are present?
The term 'reader' suggests a low end tool.

If you want to spray those connections my choice is 'Deoxit"

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 10 Old 12-17-2018, 04:10 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

P0605 is the error code for an internal TCM fault, not a PCM fault. Replacing the engine computer was unfortunately a waste of time and money as you've found out.

I would echo the recommendation to clean and inspect the TCM connector -- verify the pins are free of corrosion and undamaged, and that nothing appears burnt or melted. Be very careful not to bend any of the pins and do not leave any conductive residue/material in the connections that can short pins to each other. Make sure when you reconnect the TCM plug that it is fully seated and the locking tabs are engaged. Also clean and inspect the connectors and wiring on the left side of the transmission for the speed sensors and transmission range sensor (see attached pic for location). Other things to check would be fuse 5 in the PDC (the fuse and relay box under the hood, just forward of the battery), ensure the transmission control relay is working and power is getting through it, and if you have a VOM or multimeter then verify you are getting all your power feeds and grounds to the TCM. You should have battery power at TCM connector pin 56 (RD/WT), switched power in START at pin 8 (YL/RD), switched power in RUN/START at pin 11 (DB/WT), and good grounds at pins 53 (BK) and 57 (BK/YL).
Attached Images

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 10 Old 12-20-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Softopper

Thank you for the many replies, I've looked through some threads and it does reconfirm the TCM issue. I will try to clean the connections listed above, there seems to be no corrosion. Where would the best place be to buy a TCM? I've called around some local shops and online parts sites and they don't have the exact part number (56044764AA). Do I need the same part number, or would any TCM from the same year/transmission/engine work? Also does the TCM need to be "flashed" or programmed with my vin number?

Thank you,
post #6 of 10 Old 12-22-2018, 07:05 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Part number 56044764AA has been replaced by part number R6044764AB.

The separate TCM as used on your '04 doesn't need to be flashed with the VIN, but it is best to have somebody with a DRB scanner perform a quick learn procedure on the new TCM once it's installed.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #7 of 10 Old 09-13-2019, 01:51 PM
crug68

This same problem just happened to me today. Did replacing the TCM fix the problem? Did you have to have a quick learn procedure done after you replaced it?
post #8 of 10 Old 09-13-2019, 11:34 PM
AjRagno

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crug68 View Post
This same problem just happened to me today. Did replacing the TCM fix the problem? Did you have to have a quick learn procedure done after you replaced it?
If you perform the troubleshooting steps outlined by mukluk and determine the TCM needs to be replaced, you can just go ahead and replace it. Though some have said they needed a DRBIII to program it, others have said they simply replaced the TCM and had no further issues.

There are videos out there about using a scanner to program the TCM after a rebuild but I don't believe the scanner is actually performing any programming. Instead, it's telling the tech the steps to allow the TCM to learn the pressure settings of the transmission valve body and clutches.

1. Start the engine (adaptive memory activates whenever there is a 40 rise in temperature so I'd let it idle for a few minutes.)
  2. Shift from Park to Drive (wait a few seconds)
  3. Shift from Drive to Neutral (wait a few seconds)
  4. Shift from Neutral to Drive (wait a few seconds)
  5. Quick Learn Procedure Complete. Move Shift lever to Park

In addition to the above, I also follow a quick learn driving procedure whenever I've had the battery disconnected.

1. Accelerate to 55 MPH, turn on A/C and drive with steady throttle for 2 minutes
  2. Apply light brake pressure and decelerate until the transmission performs the 3-2 downshift
  3. Accelerate back up to 55 MPH and drive with steady throttle for 5 minutes
  4. Allow the Jeep to coast to a complete stop
  5. Done. Drive normally

I've found that by doing this, the transmission shifts smoothly right away whereas if I don't do this, the 3-2 downshift tends to be harsh for a while.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 07:50 PM
mherriman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Good info ....
post #10 of 10 Old 09-23-2019, 02:17 PM
crug68

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjRagno View Post
If you perform the troubleshooting steps outlined by mukluk and determine the TCM needs to be replaced, you can just go ahead and replace it. Though some have said they needed a DRBIII to program it, others have said they simply replaced the TCM and had no further issues.

There are videos out there about using a scanner to program the TCM after a rebuild but I don't believe the scanner is actually performing any programming. Instead, it's telling the tech the steps to allow the TCM to learn the pressure settings of the transmission valve body and clutches.

1. Start the engine (adaptive memory activates whenever there is a 40 rise in temperature so I'd let it idle for a few minutes.)
  2. Shift from Park to Drive (wait a few seconds)
  3. Shift from Drive to Neutral (wait a few seconds)
  4. Shift from Neutral to Drive (wait a few seconds)
  5. Quick Learn Procedure Complete. Move Shift lever to Park

In addition to the above, I also follow a quick learn driving procedure whenever I've had the battery disconnected.

1. Accelerate to 55 MPH, turn on A/C and drive with steady throttle for 2 minutes
  2. Apply light brake pressure and decelerate until the transmission performs the 3-2 downshift
  3. Accelerate back up to 55 MPH and drive with steady throttle for 5 minutes
  4. Allow the Jeep to coast to a complete stop
  5. Done. Drive normally

I've found that by doing this, the transmission shifts smoothly right away whereas if I don't do this, the 3-2 downshift tends to be harsh for a while.
Thanks everyone! I purchased a remanufactured TCM from npc_automotive and installed it today. I followed the learn procedure and the jeep is back on the road!

Tags
ecm , ecm help , pcm , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in