2004 Rubicon - Locker Question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-22-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

2004 Rubicon - Locker Question

I bought a 2004 Rubicon yesterday. This is my first Rubi, but Iíve owned MANY TJís.

I went to a gravel parking lot today, to test the lockers. The rear took a couple ďcyclesĒ to engage - engaging it, making some S turns, disengaging, repeating. The light turned solid after 2 or 3 times of doing that. Great.

Then I moved on to try the front. Same procedure, but I never could get the front locker light to illuminate solid - it just kept flashing.

From reading other posts, the first thing Iíll check is that the pump is working. My question is - can you hear it running with the engine on? Or should it continue to run with the engine off, as long as the key is still in the ďonĒ position? With the pumps being on the skid plate, I canít imagine how youíd be able to hear them over the engine noise?

Any other quick items to check before looking into the wiring?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-22-2019, 11:52 AM
BM3

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Not sure but saw this link on another forum and I believe the guy was having the same issue
wranglerforum.com/f210/rubicon-lockers-not-engaging-2372527.html
post #3 of 10 Old 08-22-2019, 12:13 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Have you confirmed IF the lockers are actually engaged when the light is flashing? My lights flash from time to time BUT they are indeed locked. Have you tried driving forward/reverse and turn the wheel to try to get them to engage. They sometimes need a bit of movement to full engage (do NOT do on dry pavement).

They engage when you press the locker button, briefly you will hear the pump. You can hear it with motor off, but key to ON position. You should hear pump turn on, then lock.

2006 LJR...the madness begins again

post #4 of 10 Old 08-22-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3 View Post
Not sure but saw this link on another forum and I believe the guy was having the same issue

wranglerforum.com/f210/rubicon-lockers-not-engaging-2372527.html

Good info in that thread - thanks!

I just went out to the garage to test it (the beauty of working from home).

The rear pump comes on for a couple seconds, then shuts off like itís supposed to. The front pump comes on and stays on.

I suppose I should start tracing the rubber hose towards the front, looking for leaks?

post #5 of 10 Old 08-22-2019, 01:58 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flattie View Post
Good info in that thread - thanks!

I just went out to the garage to test it (the beauty of working from home).

The rear pump comes on for a couple seconds, then shuts off like itís supposed to. The front pump comes on and stays on.

I suppose I should start tracing the rubber hose towards the front, looking for leaks?

Yup. You have a leak most likely going to the front.

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #6 of 10 Old 08-22-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

Problem solved! Thanks for the advice. I cut out the bad spot and used a short piece of slightly larger tubing to go over the original ends. Turned on the pump and it ran for a couple seconds and cut off like itís supposed to.

Side note - the routing of the air line over the upper control mount and right under the motor mount seems pretty stupid. It looks like it made contact there and got cut. Anyone run it elsewhere?

img_3050.jpg

post #7 of 10 Old 08-27-2019, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

Iíve been looking at the locker wiring mod to allow their use in 4H and over 10mph.

My question is - if I ground pins 4 and 5, will the lockers *remain* locked above 10mph? I only want to be able to use them in 4H above 10mph for places where I need more wheel speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 10 Old 08-27-2019, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

Hereís the schematic Iím looking at:

post #9 of 10 Old 08-28-2019, 08:33 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flattie View Post
I’ve been looking at the locker wiring mod to allow their use in 4H and over 10mph.

My question is - if I ground pins 4 and 5, will the lockers *remain* locked above 10mph? I only want to be able to use them in 4H above 10mph for places where I need more wheel speed.
I installed the 4 to 5 jumper on my LJR a while back. In 2H and 4H above 10mph, you can press the locker switch until your finger falls off and it does nothing. Once below 10mph, pressing the switch will engage the locker and it'll stay engaged above 10mph until you lift up on the locker switch to unlock as normal.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #10 of 10 Old 08-29-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
I installed the 4 to 5 jumper on my LJR a while back. In 2H and 4H above 10mph, you can press the locker switch until your finger falls off and it does nothing. Once below 10mph, pressing the switch will engage the locker and it'll stay engaged above 10mph until you lift up on the locker switch to unlock as normal.

Thatís exactly what I needed to know and exactly what I want to do. Many thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in