2003 jeep wrangler rear end issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-15-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
jws123

2003 jeep wrangler rear end issues

i have a 2003 jeep wrangler 4.0 4x4 5 speed manual with 198k on it been drivin it all summer. Today im driving around and feel lil vibration thought nothing of it really has a small 2 inch lift so there is always a little something its a jeep but then it got a lil worse was driving slow every time i hit a bump i heard clunk clunk. So thought maybe wheel spacer came loose as they do but it wasnt everything was tight the drivers side rear has a fair amount of in and out play no up and down but that is 100% the noise i jacked up other side and that side actually moves more I know some is normal but it has never made noise before and both rear drums always wore weird/not even since i got it.. What can cause in and out play? i will upload a vid soon so you can see how much it moves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-15-2019, 08:16 PM
AjRagno

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm assuming you have a Dana 35 rear axle. If so, this axle uses c-clips inside the differential to retain the axle shafts. Some in-out play is normal with c-clips, but if it seems excessive, you'll need to open up the differential and have a look.

If you have a Dana 44, in-out movement should be barely noticeable.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-15-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
jws123

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjRagno View Post
I'm assuming you have a Dana 35 rear axle. If so, this axle uses c-clips inside the differential to retain the axle shafts. Some in-out play is normal with c-clips, but if it seems excessive, you'll need to open up the differential and have a look.

If you have a Dana 44, in-out movement should be barely noticeable.
pre sure its a 35 il check tmro and yea ik some is normal but this seams excessive to me never with any of my tjs heard clunking from one.. uploading a vid of it tmro going to pop the cover what am i looking for/what can wear out to cause this?

post #4 of 12 Old 09-16-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
jws123

its the 35 just checked rly need help with this dont want to destroy it lol i am taking cover off tomorrow can main carrier bearings cause this? or what wears out that i should be looking for?
post #5 of 12 Old 09-16-2019, 06:57 PM
AjRagno

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The clunk while driving that you referenced made me think of this thread from the other day: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/...oving-4354277/
post #6 of 12 Old 09-16-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
jws123

Quote:
The clunk while driving that you referenced made me think of this thread from the other day: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/...oving-4354277/
Yea just went threw the tread thats not my issue no noise when spinning i hit a small bump rear drivers side axle clunks in and out i can replicate it when jeep is on ground if i push on jeep if i jack it up and push tire in and out it clunks pre loud taking cover off tmro il clean it out if i dont see anything lose/wore il just put it back together and ride it til it blows unless anyone else has any other ideas of what it could be
post #7 of 12 Old 09-17-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
jws123

Welp bois it appears that the carrier bearings are shot the whole thing has up and down play when i press on it with pry bar. The pinion is fine tho am shocked cause its a jeep. How hard is it to replace bearings ? or should i just go find a used decent rear?
post #8 of 12 Old 09-18-2019, 01:27 AM
AjRagno

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You may be able to find a used Dana 35 or Dana 44 on Craigslist or at a junk yard. It comes down to how much time and money you are willing/able to invest.

Differential work is a beast and I'm not sure of your capabilities, tools, or time. If this were my Jeep, I'd probably just take it to a shop and see what they'd charge, but I have a Dana 44. With a Dana 35, maybe consider ways to make it stronger or just go with a Dana 44.

Dana 35 Rebuild:
post #9 of 12 Old 09-18-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
jws123

Quote:
You may be able to find a used Dana 35 or Dana 44 on Craigslist or at a junk yard. It comes down to how much time and money you are willing/able to invest.

Differential work is a beast and I'm not sure of your capabilities, tools, or time. If this were my Jeep, I'd probably just take it to a shop and see what they'd charge, but I have a Dana 44. With a Dana 35, maybe consider ways to make it stronger or just go with a Dana 44.

Dana 35 Rebuild:
https://youtu.be/4jxk_AVv4iQ
Was lookin for a used one they appear to be about $7-900 in my area so screw that lmao. I am mechanically inclined just never worked on a dif/rear yet i have a press i can use watched the vid you posted doesnt look to hard only thing that scares me is the shims. As far as upgrading to a 44 guess lot of people do that but again they are expensive and i only drive this thing in the summer bu the time the rear goes again i probably wont own it

Also just in case i do somehow run across a cheap rear how do i find the ratio?
post #10 of 12 Old 09-18-2019, 08:55 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jws123 View Post
Was lookin for a used one they appear to be about $7-900 in my area so screw that lmao. I am mechanically inclined just never worked on a dif/rear yet i have a press i can use watched the vid you posted doesnt look to hard only thing that scares me is the shims. As far as upgrading to a 44 guess lot of people do that but again they are expensive and i only drive this thing in the summer bu the time the rear goes again i probably wont own it

Also just in case i do somehow run across a cheap rear how do i find the ratio?
If you get lucky the axle tag is still on it.

OR pop the cover and divide number of teeth on Ring gear by the number of teeth on Pinion gear
Attached Images

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #11 of 12 Old 09-18-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
jws123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnBC View Post
If you get lucky the axle tag is still on it.

OR pop the cover and divide number of teeth on Ring gear by the number of teeth on Pinion gear
ahh ty found it 3.07
post #12 of 12 Old 09-19-2019, 01:43 AM
AjRagno

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Having access to a press definitely makes this more doable. I did see in another post that you're running 285/70R17 tires. Considering that this is not a daily driver, it may be a good time to re-gear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in