2002 TJ Park Lamp Fuse Issue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-15-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
srm1891
2002 TJ Wrangler 

2002 TJ Park Lamp Fuse Issue

**I'm a new poster. Mostly just look for good information to solve my Jeepaches. Sorry if I missed something in another post that I'm asking for.**

My running light fuse ("PARKING LMP" 20A) blows instantly behind the glovebox. I'd like to see if anyone has any wiring diagrams to offer for this circuit. Obviously a short somewhere? I'd be most interested in any diagrams pertaining to L7 and F33 circuits and how (if they should) interact. 2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ came with fog lights if that makes a difference.

------------The entire story and relevant information below:-------------

I replaced the multipurpose switch because my fog lights were staying on about two years ago. I semi-broke the "high quality" 20 pin connector that plugs into this switch. Rigged it back together and it has been trouble free for ~30k miles of driving.

Yesterday my gauge lights went out for the second time in a week along with my running lights. I did not notice whether or not my running lights were working when the dash went out the first time. Well....they're still out.
Tonight I replaced the 20 pin connector with a better one from a donor jeep on Craigslist. I used a list for the wire color(s) and connector placement to be certain (in a picture below). Everything on the multipurpose switch seemingly works except the running lights and dash lights. The interior sound bar light works. The fog light symbol on the dash comes on when I switch it on; fog lights removed from factory circuit to a completely new one for 100W fogs.

While rewiring the connector, I saw wires 9 and 20 seemed to be a bit wrinkled looking. I'm not certain if they were like this before I put the new 20 pin connector on. Seems to be too much of a coincidence that that fuse blows instantly with the park lamp feed wire looking like it got hot. The website that was selling the connector says that these two wires are for the L7 and F33 circuits. Ohm meter on both of these wires disconnected from the switch show that there is a slight connection between these wires.

My left turn signal is also blinking really fast now since replacing the connector. Right turn signal and 4 ways work as they should. I'm not sure how or if it is related. Bad switch? I am not running any LEDs.

Thank you for reading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-15-2014, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
srm1891
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Found some diagrams. deathphoenix99 has a bunch. Special thanks to him. Links are in his post signatures.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you have what you need, OK, but you might like this link too.

Here is a link to view the FSMs.

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service
You may have to go to the bottom of the page & pick Jeep Resources & online manuals if it directs you to home page rather than the knowledge base.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-16-2014, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
srm1891
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I really like the these cut away diagrams. They will definitely will come in handy this time and the next. Thank you
post #5 of 5 Old 02-24-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
srm1891
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Found and fixed the issue... Turned out that my front, left turn signal/parking lamp socket had a hole in it. There was a short in the socket and there was a melt down.

Lesson Learned:

Always start diagnosing the problem with the simple things first! 5 bucks for a used socket and some solder is much better than 200 bucks for things that did not need replaced in the first place.

Tags
diagram , park , schematic , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in