2002 TJ Fan Blower question - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 10-17-2020, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
ncpapaul

2002 TJ Fan Blower question

I have the dreaded fan blower issue. My 2002 Jeep TJ had to have a new blower motor in Jan 2020, not sure why but I "fixed" the no blow issue with a new motor. Seems that is a common "fix" online. It sat idle most of 2020 and the cowling vent filled up with dirt, leaves, pine needles, etc. and filled up with water which filled up the new blower motor and rusted. Of course I installed a new relay, a new resistor and a new fan speed switch thinking I had a "new" fan motor, which was ruined by rain water, and also the last place I looked! All the while I was replacing these components the wiring looked great (60,000 miles original) and I never saw signs of heat or melting. NOW as it sits I have new motor, resistor, relay, switch and no speeds at all. New fuses #8 & #1 also. Also a clean cowling with hood scoop over the vents. It does seem I don't get 12v to the fan using my voltmeter. Just for kicks I hooked the new motor to a battery on the bench and it ran fine. There are endless threads online about this issue and I am cross eyed from reading. Does anyone have suggestions or advice on where or what to do now? Thank you greatly, Paul in Mississippi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-17-2020, 12:36 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Do you have AC or just heat?
with KOEO (Key On Eng Off) is there 12v at blower motor - Dark Green (DG) wire ?

I think you claim NO 12v at blower.
then check fuse box, fuse #8 fuse is good and has 12v both sides?

IN PDC fuse #1 a 40 amp -

Then ck blower motor relay - see attachment
Attached Images

mukluk likes this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-18-2020, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
ncpapaul

My Jeep has A/C and Heat, and

zero volts at the blower motor (dark green) wire
zero volts at the #8 fuse, either side

I do have 12 volts at the PDC fuse #1, on one post, the post nearest the fender

post #4 of 16 Old 10-18-2020, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
ncpapaul

Thank you very much for the reply, I did a reply but for got to thank you.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-18-2020, 09:59 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

with key ON - there is no Voltage fuse #8 in cab fuse box?

Are there any dash lights on?
Attached Images

post #6 of 16 Old 10-18-2020, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
ncpapaul

All dash light on. You are talking about fuse #8 behind the glove box yes?
post #7 of 16 Old 10-18-2020, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
ncpapaul

All dash lights on yes
post #8 of 16 Old 10-18-2020, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
ncpapaul

Some threads connect the ignition switch to no power to the fuse box, do you know anything about this? Also some discussions are about the air bag light and the back up lights with some connection to loss of power at the fuse box.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-18-2020, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
ncpapaul

Key on engine off dash lights all on, no power to #8 fuse
post #10 of 16 Old 10-18-2020, 11:39 AM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Is your airbag light on? Do your backup lights work?

If yes to airbag light & no to backups along with no power to fuse 8 it probably means there is also no power to fuses 6-7 (fuses are in the fuse block behind the glove box). At that point the ignition switch is probably not sending power to those fuses & if not the ignition switch has dirty contacts & needs replacement or you can take it apart & clean it up. The only other (unlikely) possibility is an open in the black/orange wire between the switch & fuse block or in the pink/black wire to the switch.

BlueFl.Wrangler likes this.

Last edited by Rubi4MyMrs; 10-18-2020 at 11:42 AM. Reason: edit to edit the last sentence
post #11 of 16 Old 10-18-2020, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
ncpapaul

Thank you, I'm headed out to check fuses 6-7 and the air bag/backup lights now. I'll be back, thanks again, Paul
post #12 of 16 Old 10-19-2020, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
ncpapaul

Well it turns my airbag light stayed on and I had no backup lights. My Advance Auto Parts had the ignition switch on the shelf and that solved it. Power at 6,7,8, fuses, airbag light goes off after cranking, backup lights work, fan has all speeds. SO it was the switch and I appreciate your input greatly. I would warn everyone to keep an eye out on the cowling debris & drain. On my TJ it is right over the blower motor. I see some TJs (early?) have the blower on the firewall behind the battery buy my 2002 is under the passenger's feet. It is easy to remove there but at the bottom of a rain barrel if the cowl drain stops up. Thanks to jtec & Rubi4MyMrs very much.
post #13 of 16 Old 10-19-2020, 10:35 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

AIRBAG light - I asked about any dash lights I meant airbag, ABS etc -

IMPORTANT takeway those lights can cause problems for other systems.

post #14 of 16 Old 10-20-2020, 04:07 AM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpapaul View Post
Well it turns my airbag light stayed on and I had no backup lights. My Advance Auto Parts had the ignition switch on the shelf and that solved it. Power at 6,7,8, fuses, airbag light goes off after cranking, backup lights work, fan has all speeds. SO it was the switch and I appreciate your input greatly. I would warn everyone to keep an eye out on the cowling debris & drain. On my TJ it is right over the blower motor. I see some TJs (early?) have the blower on the firewall behind the battery buy my 2002 is under the passenger's feet. It is easy to remove there but at the bottom of a rain barrel if the cowl drain stops up. Thanks to jtec & Rubi4MyMrs very much.
I am kind of slow up-stairs, so have patience with me on this please--

Did I understand that the ignition switch fixed the issues?

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill
post #15 of 16 Old 10-20-2020, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
ncpapaul

Yes a new ignition switch fixed mine. Just the electric switch part, my mechanical key/switch/activate rod/shaft was good. Some folks are having those issues with start. My Jeep started fine, it just had no blower speeds at all, no backup lights and the air bag light on the dash full time. My cowl drain stopped up and ruined my blower motor. I had installed a new blower motor Feb 2020 (without looking at my cowl drain at all) When it wouldn't blow I assumed (don't do that) and never looked at it. I started with the resistor (much online discussion about that) then a new relay (more discussion) then a new speed select switch (some swear by) THEN I looked at my motor, rusted and full of water, dead to a bench test. When I replaced it, which had me at all new 4 components nothing worked. Then I asked for help and these guys steered me right. Look for power. I had no power at fuse 8 (nor 6 or 7) and had the air bag light on full time and no backup lights. The guys suggested bad ignition switch from which the fuse block gets it's 12 volts. As soon as I installed a new switch (5th new part, Advance Auto had it) all problems cleared up. Air bag light disappears after crank up. Backup lights work with reverse. And fan blows all speeds, hot or cold as selected. And many thanks to the guys on this forum, Paul
BlueFl.Wrangler likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in