Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2001 Sport side marker light not working

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  1longcj 
#1 ·
Hey all, as the title says, my side marker turn signal light isn't lighting (picture of what I mean here goo.gl/XrQ2MY ). I bought the car in 2015 and neither of them worked, then I hit the passenger one pulling into my garage (oops). I am preparing to sell so I can upgrade to a JK, and have been trying finally finish up my checklist. I replaced the passenger's side casing and bulb, and now it works perfectly. I have not had the same luck with the driver's side. I replaced the bulb to no avail. I have checked every fuse and everything is looking good there. I know that the bulb socket was exposed to water without a bulb. When I replaced the bulb, I also noticed that the socket was quite dirty. I am thinking I will wash out the socket tomorrow. What should I wash it out with? Any ideas as to what other steps I should take to get it ready?

Thanks in advance,

Jake.

#6 ·
The front side markers are kind of an oddball, not having a traditional specific power wire in and ground wire out... each wire will act as either, depending on what function the light is doing at the moment. The good news is it only has two wires, so since cleaning the socket contacts didn't work then it's down to just testing the two wires with a VOM to see which one is broken.

Attachments

#7 ·
Is the front parking light on that side working? Park & signal? Most of the time when the marker is not working properly it is caused by a problem with the front socket or bulb. The "floating ground" for the marker is through the front light. The marker grounds through the front socket & bulb & uses that socket's ground.

#10 ·
Dielectric grease will not fix the issue, it will help prevent future corrosion though. Just wonder why you are going to all this trouble to sell it or trade it in. Many would assume simple fix and not even mention it. It does show you're a stand up guy but is it really worth the time and effort? If nothing else, just mention it does not work and let the new buyer decide how much it's worth. No one buys a used vehicle and expects it to be perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.