2.5 inch lift no OME - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-11-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
natedenver

2.5 inch lift no OME

2004 tj x

So I am looking for a budget and trail friendly lift. I think I am going to do a 1inch body lift and a 2 inch suspension lift. I will be putting on some 2017 Rubicon takeoffs. With the g2 spacer/adapters.

The body lift I am looking at is by terraflex and is about $150. I know that rough country and some others are cheaper I just prefer something a little better since it is not much more. (About 20 more than the rc)

For the suspension lift I am trying to decide. My budget will not be in the market, anytime soon, for the OME. I want it but can't afford. However my suspension is shot and my springs are saggy so it is time for suspension. If I am doing suspension, I might as well do the lift at the same time.

So, without going the pricey route I am trying to find a decent and affordable kit. Ideally the kit would not have shocks because I do want to get rancho 5000 or bilstein 5100 shocks.

If you have a recommendation I would love to hear it. Buy please don't tease me with OME as I can't afford it.

Also if I should go there kit-less route, what exactly do I need besides shocks, coils, and trackbars.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-12-2019, 12:38 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Most basic 2" lifts you're going to find that aren't just a set of spacers will run in the neighbourhood of $500. Once you add on a set of Rancho or Bilstein shocks, you're pretty close to the cost of the OME lift you profess to really want anyway. Food for thought.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 16 Old 06-12-2019, 05:09 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

ProComp springs are under $100 a pair. ProComp shocks suck, but their springs are very good. Zone Offroad BL is as good as any and costs $94. I've used them on many of my Jeeps. Rancho RS5000X shocks are $200. That's under $500 for everything.

https://www.morris4x4center.com/zone...gler-tj-438836

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CCFBV4...wranglerorg-20

p.s. You don't need track bars for a 2" lift. The axle only shifts around 1/2" or so.
Slugger, natedenver and gsindela like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" BDS lift/ 33" DC extreme country MTs. JEEP #18

post #4 of 16 Old 06-12-2019, 05:45 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have had teraflex 3" springs for many years and I have been happy with them. I think I have their body lift and I do their 1" spacer (up front). I have had them all for over 10 years (not sure if things have changed) and I am happy with them. I also have their belly up but it is thinner than it probably should be.

01 TJ,33X12.5Falken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd
post #5 of 16 Old 06-12-2019, 07:40 AM
danb303

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just changed from Bilsteins to the Rancho 5000x and they are much better and cost a pretty good bit less.

The Bilsteins might work better offroad. They did pretty good on big hits like dropping off a 1 foot ledge but rattle your fillings out of your teeth if you hit a small bump in the road.

2006 LJR Auto. 35" tires, 538 gears, IRO 4"lift. Tom Woods! JKS TB, Rancho 5000x, Currie Correctlync
post #6 of 16 Old 06-12-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
natedenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb303 View Post
I just changed from Bilsteins to the Rancho 5000x and they are much better and cost a pretty good bit less.

The Bilsteins might work better offroad. They did pretty good on big hits like dropping off a 1 foot ledge but rattle your fillings out of your teeth if you hit a small bump in the road.
Thanks for pointing that out. I like the idea of the bilsteins but my wallet and my butt likes the idea of the ranchos.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 16 Old 06-12-2019, 09:36 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb303 View Post

Bilstein's are the equivalent of RCs N3 shocks. Great hitting a speed bump at 20 mph and crap when running over a quarter.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
post #8 of 16 Old 06-12-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
natedenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
ProComp springs are under $100 a pair. ProComp shocks suck, but their springs are very good. Zone Offroad BL is as good as any and costs $94. I've used them on many of my Jeeps. Rancho RS5000X shocks are $200. That's under $500 for everything.

https://www.morris4x4center.com/zone...gler-tj-438836

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CCFBV4...wranglerorg-20

p.s. You don't need track bars for a 2" lift. The axle only shifts around 1/2" or so.
Thanks boogieman. I think you have helped me before and everything had always been spot on. This sounds like the setup I may use.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
TheBoogieman likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-12-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
natedenver

So I hope I don't start some war of disagreement but I called over to 4wp to talk about their price matching. The guy there told me that Rancho shocks and pro comps are the same shock. Really?? I did some research online and it looks like they are owned by the same company, made in the same factory and even on the same line. It looks like the main difference is the valving.

Is there a reason I should get ranchos over pro comps other than a brand name?

About a $60 difference but I don't like paying $60 for a brand name.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-12-2019, 08:43 PM
Kiwi_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Check our BDS Suspension

Hi There,

I am running BDS 2" springs and Bilstein shocks and really like the set up, I just got the springs from this kit.

http://bds-suspension.com/product?ma...5&yr=1997-2002

Since I only have a soft top I got about 2.5" out of the springs.

They ride really well and have not sagged after 10 years or so, would be happy to buy again.

1997 TJ Soft Top/ Half Doors
4.0 I6 with 5 Speed Manual | K&N Panel Filter | D30/D44 | 3.07 Gears | Banks Torque Tube Header
31*10.5 R15 Maxxis Trepador Radial Tyres | 2" BDS Spring Lift | Bilstein 5100 Shocks | JKS Discos | JKS Rear Swaybar Links | 100W Narva Spotlights
post #11 of 16 Old 06-13-2019, 01:51 AM
Kolak
Vendor

The parent company of Rancho is Tenneco

ProComp shocks are made by Tenneco

That does not mean they are valved the same as mentioned.

For a budget friendly low pressure gas shock, the top of the line ProComp 9000 series have been good. Stay away from their less expensive 1000 or 3000 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedenver View Post
So I hope I don't start some war of disagreement but I called over to 4wp to talk about their price matching. The guy there told me that Rancho shocks and pro comps are the same shock. Really?? I did some research online and it looks like they are owned by the same company, made in the same factory and even on the same line. It looks like the main difference is the valving.

Is there a reason I should get ranchos over pro comps other than a brand name?

About a $60 difference but I don't like paying $60 for a brand name.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-13-2019, 09:03 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
For a budget friendly low pressure gas shock, the top of the line ProComp 9000 series have been good. Stay away from their less expensive 1000 or 3000 series.
Do you have any actual TJ reviews on them? "budget friendly" and "top of the line" don't usually go together. Kind of like saying you have a "limited" All you can eat buffet. I need new shocks and was going for Jerry B's advice on Rancho RS5000x shocks,(I agree with his opinion on Rustys) but a lot of people with lighter Jeeps say they're stiff. Damn opinions! I have never found another street friendly shock like the Zone hydro (Jerry B says they're too soft) . Why they stopped making them and only have the stiffer nitro now is a mystery to me.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-13-2019, 01:26 PM
Kolak
Vendor

Perhaps I should have said "relatively" budget friendly. Didn't mean to imply that these are super-cheap shocks, but compared to a monotube, for example, they are much easier on the wallet.

I like the Ranchos too but they are more money. If you'd like to try a set of the Procomps let me know. If you think they are too stiff return them and I'll cover the shipping so you won't be out of pocket at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Do you have any actual TJ reviews on them? "budget friendly" and "top of the line" don't usually go together. Kind of like saying you have a "limited" All you can eat buffet. I need new shocks and was going for Jerry B's advice on Rancho RS5000x shocks,(I agree with his opinion on Rustys) but a lot of people with lighter Jeeps say they're stiff. Damn opinions! I have never found another street friendly shock like the Zone hydro (Jerry B says they're too soft) . Why they stopped making them and only have the stiffer nitro now is a mystery to me.
TheBoogieman likes this.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

or
post #14 of 16 Old 06-13-2019, 01:36 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

What is all shot in your suspension? Any worn bushings?

The OME kit is only coils, shocks, bump stop extensions, and a rear track bar bracket.

You can buy just the OME coils for about $350 for all 4. Then add whatever shocks. Make your bump stop extensions using spacers. Order the OME TB bracket for $20.
Kolak likes this.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-14-2019, 07:21 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Natedenver
What is your budget?
I know you're funds are limited and you said no to OME but I saw an OME tj lift on Facebook market here for 650.00

Fault codes:

Mean Max pics of everything:

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in