2.4L Wrangler Low Oil Pressure - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-08-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
2.4L Wrangler Low Oil Pressure

Hi, sorry I know this topic has been brought up before. I've just read through the old posts that came up with "oil pressure" in the title. But wanted to relate my oil pressure issue that is unsolved.

This is a 2005 TJ with the 2.4L and 6-speed manual, 3.73 gears. 128,000 miles. The typical scenario is i drive to work, about 21 miles on the freeway at 60 mph. When I come to a stop at the exit, the oil pressure sometimes goes to zero and the check gauges light comes on starts beeping...etc.

I can restart or rev up the engine and it goes away. Clearly the old sending unit was leaking because when I removed the electrical connection there was oil inside. I replaced the sending unit last week with a $10 aftermarket sending unit. I also sprayed contact cleaner into the electrical connection. This is a one wire connection. It was fine for about 6 days, but yesterday, same problem, low pressure after I get off the freeway.

Thinking that the viscosity could be an issue on an older motor, I changed the oil from 5-20 full synthetic to 10w30 full synthetic last night (Mobil 1) and same problem today. Oddly enough, I can go out at lunch time, drive it around, including a jaunt on the freeway, and its fine. No problems at all.

I'm hesitating to change the oil pump because on the 2.4L apparently it surrounds the crankshaft snout and will require pulling the harmonic balancer, timing belt, etc. And i just changed the timing belt about 23,000 miles ago when it broke.

Is this a typical way in which an oil pump would fail? Intermittently and only at hot idle? I've read somewhere to check the engine ground but i haven't tried this yet or even located it. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your replies. This picture of it in the Oregon dunes is a couple years old, i've since swapped gambler rims and 10.50x31 inch mud tires from my 1994.

Attached Thumbnails
WP_002913.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-08-2018, 05:10 PM
Jeepsr4me

I would start with a mechanical gauge even if you just temp hooked it up by routing it thru the window.. They are cheap and easy to install in the sender hole.
Since yours is doing someting after a long run I would watch it and see if the true readings of pressure match what the electrical gauge says.

IF the oil pressure is going down, I would look at the pickup and or the return holes in the head. Over long hauls the oil can get slowed up draining back to pan and starve engine
Pump is a pain to change. Yes you got a lot of crap to remove.. And if you do make dang sure you get the right puller for the crank gear.. Made of pot metal and you can not use jaws on it.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-10-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
timh141
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
thanks for the information, i'll try this as i have time, but it may be a week or so

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in