Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1998 Jeep Tj help needed

738 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jtec 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I’ve been lurking on the form for a while reading about various things on my jeep and now I have to make my first post. I have a 1998 Jeep Wrangler 4.0, that I’m having an issue with. The problem i’m having currently, is it will crank and fire off right away, run for about 15 seconds just fine, sputter once or twice and then the whole thing starts missing horribly to the point it barely runs. Everything smells like gas, and while it won’t die on its own we have to shut it off(also the tac goes crazy and jumps all over the place after about 15 seconds). So far we have replaced:
02 Sensor
Full tune up (Cap and rotor, spark plugs, wires ect.)
Crankshaft position sensor
Distributor position sensor
Throttle position sensor
Intake air temperature sensor
Cleaned the throttle body

We have also reset the computer by touching the battery terminals together away from the battery, and checked for vacuum leaks all around the system. Really at a loss here, and need to get this thing back up and running without hopefully taking it to a shop. I’m attaching a video of what it does just before it shuts off, before it acts like that it runs perfectly find for about 15-20 seconds.
- video I took: https://youtu.be/1l1crsG7wHk

See less See more
#7 ·
you posted "Full tune up (Cap and rotor, spark plugs, wires ect.)" and added no problem before tune up SO that is where I would concentrate.

use correct spark plug - RC12LYC gap .035

Recheck codes... yes even if light is offf.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.