• 2 Post By Wheelin98TJ
  • 1 Post By wildman4x4nut

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-29-2021, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
CalebJns
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
1997 TJ 2.5 swap to '04 Cherokee 4.0

I have the opportunity to possibly pick up a "wrecked" '04 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 auto 4x4...could I possibly swap engine, trans, transfer, etc into my '97 TJ (2.5, Auto, 4x4)...along with the axles? I know there will need to be engine mounts, etc...but think at the least the engine and trans would be fairly simple...purchase a new "BRAIN BOX" to work with it...just curious on the axles?

1997 Jeep Wrangler
4cyl, 4wd, Soft Top & Hard Top
155,xxx original miles
33's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-29-2021, 11:16 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Axles wouldn't be worth it.

Different width, different bolt pattern, and brackets are different.

I wouldn't bother with the motor, trans, and t-case either. Motor isn't enough motor when doing the work for a swap. The trans is a 42RE which isn't great and possibly too long. Not positive on the length. The 242 t-case is ok, but I don't think it has the aftermarket support the TJ 231 t-case does.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-29-2021, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
CalebJns
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Axles wouldn't be worth it.

Different width, different bolt pattern, and brackets are different.

I wouldn't bother with the motor, trans, and t-case either. Motor isn't enough motor when doing the work for a swap. The trans is a 42RE which isn't great and possibly too long. Not positive on the length. The 242 t-case is ok, but I don't think it has the aftermarket support the TJ 231 t-case does.
so your saying going from a 2.5 to the 4.0 both auto, isn't worth the swap?

My 97 came from the factory with the 2.5, auto, with air...it is a drudge when driving...

1997 Jeep Wrangler
155,xxx original miles
33's

post #4 of 14 Old 04-29-2021, 11:46 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebJns View Post
so your saying going from a 2.5 to the 4.0 both auto, isn't worth the swap?

My 97 came from the factory with the 2.5, auto, with air...it is a drudge when driving...
I don't think so. Motor swap is a lot of work.

The 4.0 only puts about 130hp to the wheels. Not very inspiring.

And since they already build them with this motor, why bother with the work when you can get one already done and done perfect by the factory.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-29-2021, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
CalebJns
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
I don't think so. Motor swap is a lot of work.

The 4.0 only puts about 130hp to the wheels. Not very inspiring.

And since they already build them with this motor, why bother with the work when you can get one already done and done perfect by the factory.
Fully understand...however...after spending the $$ to purchase a few years back (from a friend, to help them out), and having it sanded down to bare metal, and repainted, I'd prefer to keep it...it is just a fun toy, not a daily driver, but also not a mud toy, we drive it around during the summer with the top off, etc...just for fun...I really considered doing a 302...but anyways...just thinking out loud.

1997 Jeep Wrangler
155,xxx original miles
33's
post #6 of 14 Old 04-29-2021, 12:33 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't. The GC axles are, as Wheelin98TJ said above, not worth it. The biggest reason is that the GC's rear Dana 44 is aluminum and is barely stronger... not to mention its bracket geometry is so different that you'd have to remove all its brackets and weld new TJ ready brackets into place which is a more difficult task that most would understand. And the 4.0 from that '04 GC is going to be different in so many different ways from the 4.0 that was used in your model year TJ that getting it even bolted in would not be straight forward since the TJ engine mounts for that year don't match up. And mounts for everything like the a/c compressor, power steering, alternator, etc. are all different too. All in all it'd be a nightmare trying to get anything useful out of that GC into your TJ and working/running properly.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-29-2021, 12:43 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebJns View Post
Fully understand...however...after spending the $$ to purchase a few years back (from a friend, to help them out), and having it sanded down to bare metal, and repainted, I'd prefer to keep it...it is just a fun toy, not a daily driver, but also not a mud toy, we drive it around during the summer with the top off, etc...just for fun...I really considered doing a 302...but anyways...just thinking out loud.
302 is a much better swap.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-29-2021, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
CalebJns
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Don't. The GC axles are, as Wheelin98TJ said above, not worth it. The biggest reason is that the GC's rear Dana 44 is aluminum and is barely stronger... not to mention its bracket geometry is so different that you'd have to remove all its brackets and weld new TJ ready brackets into place which is a more difficult task that most would understand. And the 4.0 from that '04 GC is going to be different in so many different ways from the 4.0 that was used in your model year TJ that getting it even bolted in would not be straight forward since the TJ engine mounts for that year don't match up. And mounts for everything like the a/c compressor, power steering, alternator, etc. are all different too. All in all it'd be a nightmare trying to get anything useful out of that GC into your TJ and working/running properly.
Thanks for that info! That was the info I was looking for...very helpful!

1997 Jeep Wrangler
155,xxx original miles
33's
post #9 of 14 Old 04-29-2021, 05:29 PM
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know too many people who have done a Ford swap into a TJ. Not saying it can't be done but it isn't a common swap.

Either a Dodge 5.2 (318) or a 5.9 (360)
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/w...ssion-1365878/

Or a Chevy GenIII or IV LS type V-8 is becoming more of a common thing.

And last is a Dodge Hemi V-8 which have come down in price a lot over the past 10 years.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 14 Old 04-30-2021, 11:21 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman4x4nut View Post
I don't know too many people who have done a Ford swap into a TJ. Not saying it can't be done but it isn't a common swap.

Either a Dodge 5.2 (318) or a 5.9 (360)
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/w...ssion-1365878/

Or a Chevy GenIII or IV LS type V-8 is becoming more of a common thing.

And last is a Dodge Hemi V-8 which have come down in price a lot over the past 10 years.
5.0 is a pretty easy swap.

Good thread here:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/5...ctures-596831/
wildman4x4nut likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-30-2021, 04:30 PM
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
5.0 is a pretty easy swap.

Good thread here:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/5...ctures-596831/
I don't have time to read it right now. I thought I had read someone once saying the 5.0 didn't fit as well into the engine bay.

Also what year did the 5.0 stop being made by Ford?

I still think the 5.0 isn't as popular as the Dodge or Chevy V-8's. But it's great to see it being done and I've always been a fan of the 5.0.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #12 of 14 Old 05-01-2021, 08:22 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't have time to read it right now. I thought I had read someone once saying the 5.0 didn't fit as well into the engine bay.

Also what year did the 5.0 stop being made by Ford?

I still think the 5.0 isn't as popular as the Dodge or Chevy V-8's. But it's great to see it being done and I've always been a fan of the 5.0.
The 302 fits easy. Maybe you're thinking of the wider modular motors.

I think 2001 was the last year for the 5.0 in an Explorer.

Definitely not as popular. Which makes me like it more.
wildman4x4nut and CalebJns like this.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-01-2021, 08:57 AM
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The 302 fits easy. Maybe you're thinking of the wider modular motors.

I think 2001 was the last year for the 5.0 in an Explorer.

Definitely not as popular. Which makes me like it more.
It might be.

I have no issues with anyone using which ever engine platform the want. I am a fan of EASY and so again FoMoCo just isn't as popular. I honestly don't know why it isn't since the 5.0 was more popular in the CJ series.

IMO any V-8 swap into a TJ is a great idea so go for it.
CalebJns likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #14 of 14 Old 05-09-2021, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
CalebJns
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
It might be.

I have no issues with anyone using which ever engine platform the want. I am a fan of EASY and so again FoMoCo just isn't as popular. I honestly don't know why it isn't since the 5.0 was more popular in the CJ series.

IMO any V-8 swap into a TJ is a great idea so go for it.
Everyone says the 350 is the "best swap" due to parts...but I would guess the same would be true for the 5.0 as well...This is a drive around and have fun Jeep...not a mudder, or climber, just a take the top down and ride around set up...the kids love it, and it's something fun to have and do...

The more I look into a swap the more I lean to the 302...

1997 Jeep Wrangler
155,xxx original miles
33's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in