06 Wrangler X, concerned about OPDA - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 08-04-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

06 Wrangler X, concerned about OPDA

Hi, I just bought my first jeep, a 2006 Wrangler X with the 4.0, 6 speed manual transmission and have a few questions related to the OPDA. It sees occasional highway trips in the summer to the shore, but mainly low rpm city/suburban commuting to work daily. So far I really love the truck but now I'm really concerned about it.

I wasn't aware of the OPDA issue which is reflected here as a major issue with 05-06 wranglers as my dealership didn't tell me and the carfax report didn't reflect an issue. Mine has 36,700 miles on it and I haven't noticed any odd noises but I'm really worried about it. There is a seldom roughness at idle on a rare occasion but it could be weather-related, rpms are normal, no noises. It seems slower to start than my father's 99 Cherokee after its been sitting so it could be a tune-up issue as well or normal? Oil was changed prior to purchase as I bought it from a dealership, didn't see anything abnormal in the oil. Generally, it runs excellent though and I haven't had any issues in 1,000 miles of driving so far.

I've already made an appointment with the dealership this Friday to inspect the OPDA. I'm not sure if they will be able to do anything as it is not making any noises or nor is it causing a check engine light. Would I be wasting a trip going there? Am I risking causing damage having a dealer tech check it out without "modding" it first?

I've been researching the the threads on this issue but it was a little over-whelming. When should I check the OPDA (mileage)? Do I need to change the oil now to a recommended oil even though it was just changed? Do I have to "FOGMOD" an OPDA or is their an easier method to maintaining the OPDA?

I know I sound like a complete noob, just don't want to risk engine failure since my job and the ability to make the payments on this truck depend on it. I love my Jeep and want to keep it for many years to come, any help or tips would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-04-2011, 12:58 AM
2006_Sport

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Look man, if you worrry about it, it's gonna bug the **** out of you. If you just say **** it, if my motor blows it blows you will be a much happier man. Trust me, I worried about it for the longest time. I have YET to have any issues with my motor because of it. I pulled my OPDA myself and looked at it, yes the gear has extra wear on it. I put the OPDA back in, and said whatever if my motor ever dies, I'm getting a 4.9 stroker.

Yours has 36k on the clock. Mine had 33k when I bought it. I have about 61,100 right now with road trips, hard driving and wheeling under its belt. I have yet to have any issues. It is my DD and my only transportation to and from places, so I know how you feel.
post #3 of 21 Old 08-04-2011, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's good to hear that you haven't had issues with it and have 61,000 miles on it especially with taking it off road. I drive maybe 7-10k a year with moderate driving so it probably should be ok for awhile. Some of the other threads made it seem like I had to check it at every oil change or several times a year which just seems really excessive.

I think I'm going to just change the oil before the winter to a recommended brand and maybe replace the OPDA it if its getting bad, otherwise I'm not going to worry about it. I rather just leave it alone as you did since I bought the Jeep to be able to enjoy it, not work on it. Thanks for the help.

post #4 of 21 Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 AM
2006_Sport

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06philaTJ View Post
That's good to hear that you haven't had issues with it and have 61,000 miles on it especially with taking it off road. I drive maybe 7-10k a year with moderate driving so it probably should be ok for awhile. Some of the other threads made it seem like I had to check it at every oil change or several times a year which just seems really excessive.

I think I'm going to just change the oil before the winter to a recommended brand and maybe replace the OPDA it if its getting bad, otherwise I'm not going to worry about it. I rather just leave it alone as you did since I bought the Jeep to be able to enjoy it, not work on it. Thanks for the help.
The internet does that man. The issue gets blown WAY out of proportion, granted it is a serious issue but I've only read a few posts in that thread where people have actually had motor failure.
post #5 of 21 Old 08-04-2011, 10:22 AM
STIFLER
2005 LJ Wrangler 

don't believe the hype. if the 05 - 06 OPDA was awesome and improved the Jeep you wouldn't hear ****ake about it. I just turned 65k on my 05 LJ and all bueno

fingers crossed for the ride home lol

post #6 of 21 Old 08-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Brainwashed2566

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06philaTJ View Post
I've already made an appointment with the dealership this Friday to inspect the OPDA. I'm not sure if they will be able to do anything as it is not making any noises or nor is it causing a check engine light. Would I be wasting a trip going there?
Yes. If your willing to go to a stealership to get them to look at a problem that doesn't exist (as per chrysler) then you probably have enough time and money to just look at it and replace as needed. The main thread on it the topic has a lot of info so you probably could compare the wear to other pics.

As for the hype, very few (I'm guessing 1-2% from what I have seen) suffer from sudden engine failure. The rest (20% maybe??) will get the squeaky monkey or odd gear wear and the rest of us just seem o.k. (remember those numbers are complete guesses)

Having said that, I recommend that you look into the FOGMOD. Maybe over-doing it, maybe not.

2005 White LJ Mild Build = Fun Rig
2003 Ram 1500 5.9 Mag = DD
1997 Green XJ Bone Stock = SOLD
post #7 of 21 Old 08-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Have you seen the huge OPDA thread that Willydigger keeps organized?

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 21 Old 08-04-2011, 11:11 AM
uf20wop
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
The internet does that man. The issue gets blown WAY out of proportion, granted it is a serious issue but I've only read a few posts in that thread where people have actually had motor failure.
haha i did the same thing.

i was so worried about it when i bought my 06 then learned about the problem.

now i don't care... ride it till it dies!
post #9 of 21 Old 08-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Xlr8n

1967 JK Wrangler 

Mine had abour 65,000 on it when I first checked the OPDA. The gear was toast. Never had a lick of problems with it up to that point, but glad I caught and replaced it when I did.
Follow the instructions on the OPDA thread to pull and inspect it and go from there.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-04-2011, 11:46 AM
2006_Sport

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Also, don't count on the dealership for anything. I called chrysler directly about this problem and basically they said they had knowledge of the issue but they weren't going to do anything about it. I should have recorded it, I asked "so basically what you're telling me is that you put out thousands of faulty products, but refuse to make amends and fix the issue?" They go "yes."
post #11 of 21 Old 08-04-2011, 11:48 AM
danielbuck

1946 CJ2 

my 06 is about to slam the 100,000 mile barrier at the end of this month, no problems :-) I'll probably be on the freeway at 80mph, then screeching to a stop on an off ramp to take a photo of the dash

post #12 of 21 Old 08-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Xlr8n

1967 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
my 06 is about to slam the 100,000 mile barrier at the end of this month, no problems :-) I'll probably be on the freeway at 80mph, then screeching to a stop on an off ramp to take a photo of the dash
If you'd be interested in participating, it would be great if you'd to pull your OPDA and take a picture of gear wear to put up on the OPDA thread. Instructions are in the thread. It only takes maybe 20 minutes start to finish the first time.
Are you the original owner?
post #13 of 21 Old 08-04-2011, 12:47 PM
2006_Sport

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
If you'd be interested in participating, it would be great if you'd to pull your OPDA and take a picture of gear wear to put up on the OPDA thread. Instructions are in the thread. It only takes maybe 20 minutes start to finish the first time.
20 minutes if it lines back up perfect first time. Took me a lil bit to get everything lined back up right, then again it was 3am and all I had was a flashlight
post #14 of 21 Old 08-04-2011, 12:49 PM
danielbuck

1946 CJ2 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
No, I am not the original owner, I've had it for about a year now, it had 70,000 miles when I purchased it. I guess that means it's possible that it has already been changed out? I suppose I chould check the service records, the previous owner stated that all maintanance was done at the jeep dealer near me. They keep records on that stuff, eh?

I'll be out of town this weekend, but if I have some free time the next weekend I'll check out that thread and see about pulling the gear out for a few photos. I haven't really followed the OPDA threads, becaues I figured I was in the clear with so many miles already on my jeep, and apparently no problems. I'll read through the thread sometime.

post #15 of 21 Old 08-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Xlr8n

1967 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
No, I am not the original owner, I've had it for about a year now, it had 70,000 miles when I purchased it. I guess that means it's possible that it has already been changed out? I suppose I chould check the service records, the previous owner stated that all maintanance was done at the jeep dealer near me. They keep records on that stuff, eh?

I'll be out of town this weekend, but if I have some free time the next weekend I'll check out that thread and see about pulling the gear out for a few photos. I haven't really followed the OPDA threads, becaues I figured I was in the clear with so many miles already on my jeep, and apparently no problems. I'll read through the thread sometime.
Sounds good. If it is the original OPDA, I'd be really interesting in seeing the gear wear pattern and knowing what oils where used.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in