06 Rubicon Unlimited Tires - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-02-2008, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
DJ Daddy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

06 Rubicon Unlimited Tires

Well, after 35,000 miles and despite diligent rotationing, the ol' MTRs are a mess. So it's time to re-tire (I wish retire as well...).

The stock tires, LT245/75R16 are 30.7" diameter and 9.7" width. I don't get offroad beyond occasional jaunts into the pasture next door; no rocks, just dirt and grass.

I'd like to explore putting LT265/75R16 on which are 31.7" and 10.5" (the new Fuzion ZTi from Bridgestone).

After exhausting searchs of JF, I think I can live with the occasional rubbing that may occur if I turn the wheels to the extreme but I can't even remember when I last did that (if ever). I don't want to lift presently - maybe a few years down the road; I don't have the facilities nor the proper tools (I keep leaving the proper catalogs open to the proper pages around my birthday and Christmas but to no avail...).

Could I trouble you with your thoughts?

Thanks much!

Howdy from Ron in Rural Kansas City
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Just do it!

The 265's will work great for you stock LJ. I don't believe you even rub. The Rubi wll look great with a little bit more rubber. Post pics when you're done.

SAVVY OFF ROAD - Winner of the King of the Hammers Everyman Challenge FIVE years in a row!

Email me for the fastest response:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like us on Facebook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee

2003 TJ Project Unrolled

post #3 of 10 Old 10-02-2008, 08:47 AM
dallasjetfan
2015 WK 

If you want to stay with 245/75/16, then check out the Firestone MT's. I had them and they were great in the rain, wore nicely and handled rocks and mud well. They are a load range C tire which made the ride quality like night and day!!

post #4 of 10 Old 10-02-2008, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
DJ Daddy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Dallas,

Those Firestones are highly rated but they are basically just like the MTRs - not the greatest for DDing on the highway everyday. The MTRs were fine as well until about 3000-4000 miles ago (now have 34K on them) - suddenly the tread started getting crazy (but uniform) wear patterns. Two different shops checked alignment and it was dead on.

post #5 of 10 Old 10-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Zeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Did you do a 4 or a 5 tire rotation? Just wondering 'cause, seems 5 tire would help last longer IMO.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Rugby_3
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Also can't go wrong with BFG AT for a DD. They work great on the road and will help you get across any light wheeling you might do.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-02-2008, 08:48 PM
buddy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'd recommend the Goodyear Wrangler silent armour's. They are probably the best tire that you could get for what you are wanting to do with them.

Just my two cents,
Buddy

Henderson, NV

- Needs Time, Place, Help & Parts!!
1997 TJ DD - RIP - hit n run victim
2003 Discovery SE7 - Wife's

post #8 of 10 Old 10-03-2008, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
DJ Daddy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Zeep,
You know, I probably should have done a 5 tire - would have lasted longer; at least a bit. But the tread wear is on all of them so that would mean I would have run into this wear in 8000 miles anyway.

Rugby,
I do kinda like the BFG ATs; I'm tending towards the Fuzion XTi. A bit less money and seems like an exciting tire as well (at least the XTi version).

Cliff,
I like the Goodyear Silent Armors as well as the TripleTreds (bought them for my wife's Subi and my daughter's Xterra) - they're all quite a bit more expensive than the Fuzions.

---

In general, I was more curious about the tire size fitting well enough.

post #9 of 10 Old 10-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Rugby_3
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The BFG ATs are a great all around tire. If taken care of the they typically go 50k to 60k miles. They might cost more then the Fuzions but I think with tires your typically get what you pay for. I have no experance with Fuzion tires and I'm sure they are up to the task of handling your driving duties.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-31-2008, 08:27 AM
05longrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Location: Hog Country (Arkansas) - Woo Pig Sooiee!!! GO HOGS!
265's question

Ron, That's exactly the tire size I want to run on my 05 Rubi Unlimited. Did you install them yet & do you like them? How bad do they rub? PLEASE POST SOME PICS! Thanks, Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy View Post
Well, after 35,000 miles and despite diligent rotationing, the ol' MTRs are a mess. So it's time to re-tire (I wish retire as well...).

The stock tires, LT245/75R16 are 30.7" diameter and 9.7" width. I don't get offroad beyond occasional jaunts into the pasture next door; no rocks, just dirt and grass.

I'd like to explore putting LT265/75R16 on which are 31.7" and 10.5" (the new Fuzion ZTi from Bridgestone).

After exhausting searchs of JF, I think I can live with the occasional rubbing that may occur if I turn the wheels to the extreme but I can't even remember when I last did that (if ever). I don't want to lift presently - maybe a few years down the road; I don't have the facilities nor the proper tools (I keep leaving the proper catalogs open to the proper pages around my birthday and Christmas but to no avail...).

Could I trouble you with your thoughts?

Thanks much!

05 Khaki Rubicon Unlimited Sahara

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in